* Re: Luatex 0.44.0 announcement
       [not found] <mailman.1.1256814003.16889.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-10-29 14:46 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-10-29 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Mojca,

I'm willing to test luatex 0.44 binary on Windows ;) It has SyncTex support.

Regards,
Vyatcheslav

* Re: Luatex 0.44.0 announcement
@ 2009-10-29 16:11   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-10-29 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 15:46, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> I'm willing to test luatex 0.44 binary on Windows ;) It has SyncTex support.

I wasn't asking about testing Windows binaries, though it could be
that the binary in minimals is already at 0.44 (if not yet, then it
will be very soon or I can force an update; the w32tex page is already
updated).

I only need some Mac Tiger tester.

Mojca

* Re: pdfs with boxes instead of letters
       [not found] <mailman.1.1256814003.16889.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-10-29 16:55 ` Michael Green
From: Michael Green @ 2009-10-29 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Oct 29, 2009, at 11:56 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:56:05 +0100
> From: Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTG-context] pdfs with boxes instead of letters
>
> The PDFs look OK here with both Preview and Skim. I would try to
> delete the font cache on your computer and restart it.

That seems to have solved it. I see letters again! My quality of life
just went up measurably. Thank you very much!

For the record, I used the simple method Wolfgang pointed to:
restarting in "Safe Mode" then restarting again in normal mode.

It's extremely easy with no software or mucking around in unusual
directories.

Specifically, I followed these instructions:

http://www.ascendercorp.com/support/

@ 2009-10-29 22:37 ` Michael Green
From: Michael Green @ 2009-10-29 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Michael Green wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2009, at 11:56 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>

>> Message: 3
>> Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:56:05 +0100
>> From: Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [NTG-context] pdfs with boxes instead of letters
>>
>> The PDFs look OK here with both Preview and Skim. I would try to
>> delete the font cache on your computer and restart it.
>>

> That seems to have solved it. I see letters again! My quality of
> life just went up measurably. Thank you very much!
>
> For the record, I used the simple method Wolfgang pointed to:
> restarting in "Safe Mode" then restarting again in normal mode.
>
> It's extremely easy with no software or mucking around in unusual
> directories.
>
> Specifically, I followed these instructions:
>
> http://www.ascendercorp.com/support/

I seem to have spoken too soon. The very next document I prepared had
the same boxes-rather-than-letters problem.

That said, I cleared the font caches again and, after restarting, the
document looked correct. Perhaps this is a coincidence. Or perhaps
there is something amiss with the way my computers are caching fonts.
Sigh.

* Re: pdfs with boxes instead of letters
@ 2009-10-30 18:02   ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-10-30 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I seem to have spoken too soon. The very next document I prepared
> had the same boxes-rather-than-letters problem.
>
> That said, I cleared the font caches again and, after restarting,
> the document looked correct. Perhaps this is a coincidence. Or
> perhaps there is something amiss with the way my computers are
> caching fonts. Sigh.

Well, if your engine is pdftex (from an unpatched TeXLive 2008) then
chances are you're running into the nasty (TM) font cache bug:

http://www.tug.org/mactex/fontcache/

Oliver

* Re: Luatex 0.44.0 announcement
@ 2009-10-30 15:50     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-10-30 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 01:32:28PM +0200, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
>> Hello
>>> I wanted to manually push the changes, but the windows binary is at
>>> 0.44 already.
>>>
>> Thanks, Mojca, it is 0.44 already indeed!
>>
>> Now we can use SyncTex option by adding \synctex=1 to the preamble.
>
> SyncTeX support has been available in LuaTeX for ages :)

but if i remember right recent versions of luatex+synctex had bugs so it
was not available for a while

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-10-30 12:43   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2009-10-30 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 01:32:28PM +0200, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hello
>> I wanted to manually push the changes, but the windows binary is at
>> 0.44 already.
>>
> Thanks, Mojca, it is 0.44 already indeed!
>
> Now we can use SyncTex option by adding \synctex=1 to the preamble.

SyncTeX support has been available in LuaTeX for ages :)

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Luatex 0.44.0 announcement
       [not found] <mailman.160.1256893748.22155.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-10-30 11:32 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-10-30 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2009-10-30  7:20   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-10-30  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 18:35, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:

> The binary in minimals is NOT already at 0.44 (as I checked today). Looking
> forward to have 0.44 version because I want to try synctex support.

I wanted to manually push the changes, but the windows binary is at
0.44 already.

I'm also committing the mac i386 binary (it might take a while before
some downloading/uploading is done) in the best hope that it will work
properly.

Mojca

* Re: Luatex 0.44.0 announcement
       [not found] <mailman.152.1256835278.22155.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-10-29 17:35 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-10-29 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Mojca,
> I wasn't asking about testing Windows binaries
I know, I'm was joking :)

@ 2009-10-29  9:56 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-10-29  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 10:35, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 00:42, Michael Green wrote:
>> On Oct 28, 2009, at 3:04 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any Mac Tiger volunteer willing to test if binaries compiled
>>> on Snow Leopard work on Tiger? (No binaries are in minimals yet; I
>>> need some volunteer to test first.)
>>
>> I'm willing. I even think I'm able, assuming the testing isn't very
>> extensive.
>
> No, I just wanted to know if the binary works at all. I wanted to send
> you the binary off-list first, but here it is instead:
>    http://dl.contextgarden.net/misc/luatex
> once you download it you need to execute
>    chmod +x luatex
>    ./luatex
>
> All I want to know is if it works on Tiger, no extensive testing is needed.

Sorry, I guess that I need to repeat the exercise. Can you please try just if
    http://dl.contextgarden.net/misc/hello
works. Luatex most probably won't work ... and I need to figure out
how to modify the building scripts. Apparently 10.6 compiles all the
binaries for 64-bit architecture by default despite the fact that it
claims to be i386.

Luatex building scripts would need to be modified, pdftex doesn't
cross-compile at all.

Mojca

* Re: Luatex 0.44.0 announcement
@ 2009-10-29  9:35 Mojca Miklavec