* Fonts disappeared after updating ConTeXt
@ 2009-11-15 10:38 Mika Ritola
From: Mika Ritola @ 2009-11-15 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I just updated ConTeXt to the latest version (2009.11.13 12:45), and now all
the fonts I have installed on my system seem to have mysteriously
disappeared from ConTeXt's sight. Running "mtxrun --script fonts --list"
displays only the fonts that are installed in the ConTeXt directory. I'm
using Linux and fontconfig finds all the fonts just fine. Until now, I
haven't had any problems using the fonts on my system after an update
without any further actions. I did, however, run

luatools --selfupdate
mtxrun --selfupdate
luatools --generate
context --make

just to make sure that everything is up-to-date but that didn't make any
difference.

Have any font-related changes been made to ConTeXt in the past few weeks
(the previous version that I used was from maybe a month ago) or what could
be the cause of this?

Mika

* Re: Fonts disappeared after updating ConTeXt
@ 2009-11-15 12:01 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-11-15 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Mika Ritola <the.thin.air@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just updated ConTeXt to the latest version (2009.11.13 12:45), and now all
> the fonts I have installed on my system seem to have mysteriously
> disappeared from ConTeXt's sight. Running "mtxrun --script fonts --list"
> displays only the fonts that are installed in the ConTeXt directory. I'm
> using Linux and fontconfig finds all the fonts just fine. Until now, I
> haven't had any problems using the fonts on my system after an update
> without any further actions. I did, however, run
>
> luatools --selfupdate
> mtxrun --selfupdate
> luatools --generate
> context --make
>
> just to make sure that everything is up-to-date but that didn't make any
> difference.
>
> Have any font-related changes been made to ConTeXt in the past few weeks
> (the previous version that I used was from maybe a month ago) or what could
> be the cause of this?
Are you using minimals ?

--
luigi

* Re: Fonts disappeared after updating ConTeXt
@ 2009-11-15 12:09   ` Mika Ritola
From: Mika Ritola @ 2009-11-15 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2009-11-15 12:38     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-11-15 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sunday 15 November 2009 13:09:42 Mika Ritola wrote:
> 2009/11/15 luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>
>
> > On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Mika Ritola <the.thin.air@gmail.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I just updated ConTeXt to the latest version (2009.11.13 12:45), and
> > > now
> >
> > all
> >
> > > the fonts I have installed on my system seem to have mysteriously
> > > disappeared from ConTeXt's sight. Running "mtxrun --script fonts
> > > --list" displays only the fonts that are installed in the ConTeXt
> > > directory. I'm using Linux and fontconfig finds all the fonts just
> > > fine. Until now, I haven't had any problems using the fonts on my
> > > system after an update without any further actions. I did, however, run
> > >
> > > luatools --selfupdate
> > > mtxrun --selfupdate
> > > luatools --generate
> > > context --make
> > >
> > > just to make sure that everything is up-to-date but that didn't make
> > > any difference.
> > >
> > > Have any font-related changes been made to ConTeXt in the past few
> > > weeks (the previous version that I used was from maybe a month ago) or
> > > what
> >
> > could
> >
> > > be the cause of this?
> >
> > Are you using minimals ?
> >
> > Yes, I use first-setup.sh to update.
>
> Mika

Using the minimals without any further configuration efforts,
I have *never* been able to acces to my system installed fonts
(as seen by fc-list).
This has been, for a while now, on my list of tasks
to try to understand and to resolve,
so I am interested by this subject...

Alan

* system fonts (was: Fonts disappeared after updating ConTeXt)
@ 2009-11-15 13:03       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-11-15 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.11.2009 um 13:38 schrieb Alan BRASLAU:

> Using the minimals without any further configuration efforts,
> I have *never* been able to acces to my system installed fonts
> (as seen by fc-list).
> This has been, for a while now, on my list of tasks
> to try to understand and to resolve,
> so I am interested by this subject...

ConTeXt looks for system fonts only on Windows and Mac OS X (the paths are set in data-res.lua),
for others system you need the OSFONTDIR variable. When you want the same feature on Linux Hans
has to know where system fonts are stored and if these directories are the same on each distribution.

Wolfgang

* Re: system fonts (was: Fonts disappeared after updating ConTeXt)
@ 2009-11-15 20:56         ` Peter Wüsten
From: Peter Wüsten @ 2009-11-15 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster schrieb:
> ConTeXt looks for system fonts only on Windows and Mac OS X (the paths are set in data-res.lua),
> for others system you need the OSFONTDIR variable. When you want the same feature on Linux Hans
> has to know where system fonts are stored and if these directories are the same on each distribution.

On Ubuntu Intrepid that would be /usr/share/fonts for the fonts shipped
with the distribution, or installed via the repositories,  and
$HOME/.fonts for user-installed fonts. Some distributions may use
/usr/local/share/fonts, but I haven't tried that on Intrepid.

BTW, if you want Context to find _both_ directories make sure you set
your OSFONTDIR in setuptex like this:

export OSFONTDIR="$HOME/.fonts;/usr/share/fonts"

You have to use the semicolon instead of a colon, and don't forget the
parentheses (found that in an old post by Khaled Hosny).

Cheers,

Peter Wüsten

* Re: system fonts (was: Fonts disappeared after updating ConTeXt)
@ 2009-11-15 21:04           ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-11-15 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sunday 15 November 2009 21:56:10 Peter Wüsten wrote:
> BTW, if you want Context to find _both_ directories make sure you set
> your OSFONTDIR in setuptex like this:
>
> export OSFONTDIR="$HOME/.fonts;/usr/share/fonts"

Unfortunately, this is not sufficient, and thus refers us back to the original
post by Mika.

Alan

* Re: system fonts (was: Fonts disappeared after updating ConTeXt)
@ 2009-11-15 21:30             ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-11-15 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sunday 15 November 2009 22:04:01 Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Sunday 15 November 2009 21:56:10 Peter Wüsten wrote:
> > BTW, if you want Context to find _both_ directories make sure you set
> > your OSFONTDIR in setuptex like this:
> >
> > export OSFONTDIR="$HOME/.fonts;/usr/share/fonts"
>
> Unfortunately, this is not sufficient, and thus refers us back to the
>  original post by Mika.

Sorry, after running update.sh, context now finds the system fonts!

Alan

* Re: Fonts disappeared after updating ConTeXt
@ 2009-11-22 16:22 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-22 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:38, Mika Ritola wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just updated ConTeXt to the latest version (2009.11.13 12:45), and now all
> the fonts I have installed on my system seem to have mysteriously
> disappeared from ConTeXt's sight. Running "mtxrun --script fonts --list"
> displays only the fonts that are installed in the ConTeXt directory.

Be happy if it does that. Here it doesn't work at all :) :) :)
[problem already reported by others]

Mojca

* Re: Fonts disappeared after updating ConTeXt
@ 2009-11-22 16:59   ` Bernhard Rosensteiner
From: Bernhard Rosensteiner @ 2009-11-22 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

i think the problem was with the old LuaTeX 0.44. I updated 5 minutes ago and now all my files compile like a charm again with LuaTeX 0.45. Im so happy i could sing :-).

best regards
Bernhard

@ 2009-11-22 17:03     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-22 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 17:59, Bernhard Rosensteiner wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> i think the problem was with the old LuaTeX 0.44. I updated 5 minutes ago and now all my files compile like a charm again with LuaTeX 0.45. Im so happy i could sing :-).

ConTeXt has worked here as well, but
    mtxrun --script fonts --list *
with or without the star complains with the devil 666 error.

Mojca