* Re: ntg-context Digest, Vol 69, Issue 49
       [not found] <mailman.743.1268146141.26807.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2010-03-09 15:59 ` Michael Saunders
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-03-09 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> The question is: what have you set OSFONTDIR to,  and does that
> location actually contain the system fonts?

Thank you, Taco.  Double checking, I find that I have set OSFONTDIR to
C:\Windows\Fonts, which does indeed contain my 1074 system font files,
970 of them open type.  The slightly different string you put on the
webpage:
mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=*
now seems to find them.  That was the problem.

My next problem is to make sense of what lies under the heading "The
standard way: Typescripts".  It's clear that the instructions don't
mean "typescript" in the ordinary English sense of the word (a
typewritten document), but some new, undefined thing.  From other bits
of documentation here and there, I've gotten the idea that typescripts
are files that contain commands.  I know that there are examples of
typescripts given elsewhere, but without explanation, I couldn't
decipher them.  I don't suppose there is a syntax of the typescript
language written down anywhere.

The first instruction stymies me:

"1. Copy the typescript files into either

$TEXMF/tex/texmf-fonts/tex/context/user
$TEXMF/tex/texmf-project/tex/context/user"

What typescript files?  Where?  Also, the two directories don't exist
in my distribution of Context Minimals.  Are we supposed to create
them?  I look ahead for clues as to where the typescripts for my fonts
might be.  A little farther down there is a heading, 'Where to find
existing typescripts', but it doesn't talk about where to find
typescripts.  It does hint at what typescripts are though---it says,
'Each of the typescripts below...' and then, below, there is a list of
lines like the following:
Latin Modern (typescript name: modern; this is the default font set)

Maybe a line like that is a typescript.  Who knows?

* Re: ntg-context Digest, Vol 69, Issue 49
@ 2010-03-09 16:11   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-03-09 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Michael Saunders wrote:

>> The question is: what have you set OSFONTDIR to,  and does that
>> location actually contain the system fonts?
>
> Thank you, Taco.  Double checking, I find that I have set OSFONTDIR to
> C:\Windows\Fonts, which does indeed contain my 1074 system font files,
> 970 of them open type.  The slightly different string you put on the
> webpage:
> mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=*
> now seems to find them.  That was the problem.
>

> My next problem is to make sense of what lies under the heading "The
> standard way: Typescripts".
>
> Maybe a line like that is a typescript.  Who knows?

It might be easiest to use the simplefonts module. See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX#With_the__simplefonts_module

Aditya

* Re: ntg-context Digest, Vol 69, Issue 49
@ 2010-03-09 16:20   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-03-09 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 09.03.10 16:59, schrieb Michael Saunders:
> Maybe a line like that is a typescript.

This is a typescript:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX#A_.28Complete.29_Typescript_Example

Wolfgang

* Re: ntg-context Digest, Vol 69, Issue 49
@ 2010-03-09 16:20     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-03-09 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Michael Saunders wrote:
>
>>> The question is: what have you set OSFONTDIR to,  and does that
>>> location actually contain the system fonts?
>>
>> Thank you, Taco.  Double checking, I find that I have set OSFONTDIR to
>> C:\Windows\Fonts, which does indeed contain my 1074 system font files,
>> 970 of them open type.  The slightly different string you put on the
>> webpage:
>> mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=*
>> now seems to find them.  That was the problem.
>>

>> My next problem is to make sense of what lies under the heading "The
>> standard way: Typescripts".
>>
>> Maybe a line like that is a typescript.  Who knows?
>
> It might be easiest to use the simplefonts module. See
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX#With_the__simplefonts_module

There is also a page on typescripts. It does not really explain the
basic meaning of the word 'typescript', but it does give an example:

   http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TypeScripts

I've tried to give a thorough description of the font terminology
in ConTeXt in the 'fonts' chapter of the revised manual:

http://context.aanhet.net/svn/contextman/context-reference/en/co-fonts.pdf

When reading that, keep in mind that in MkIV the font subsystem is
a bit simpler because no encodings are used at all.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: ntg-context Digest, Vol 69, Issue 49
@ 2010-03-09 16:47   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-03-09 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 16:59, Michael Saunders wrote:

> The first instruction stymies me:
>
> "1. Copy the typescript files into either
>
> $TEXMF/tex/texmf-fonts/tex/context/user
> $TEXMF/tex/texmf-project/tex/context/user"
>
> What typescript files?  Where?

(one usually needs to be written first, but I leave it to others to guide you)

> Also, the two directories don't exist
> in my distribution of Context Minimals.  Are we supposed to create
> them?

Yes. (There is also texmf-local. You can put it there as well.)

Mojca