* Transliterator module, 2nd revision
@ 2010-03-10  9:47 Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-10  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi again,

the transliteration module has been reworked following sunday's
discussion on the list.  The table groups now come in separate files
and are loaded / created only on demand.  The module now provides a
\[start|stop]transliterate environment, credits for it go to Wolfgang.
The most valuable suggestion came from Thomas: the former substitution
functions that were using string.gsub() have been entirely replaced by
LPeg, which proves to be surprisingly fast.  (Under some circumstances,
it is faster than not transliterating at all.)

I have opened a bitbucket account in order to not to clutter the mailing
list with archives.  The tip revision can be found here:
http://bitbucket.org/phg/transliterator/get/2fc2b5fbbd46.gz
and the precompiled manual over here:
http://bitbucket.org/phg/transliterator/downloads/transliterator.pdf

Happy TeXing!

Philipp

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: Transliterator module, 2nd revision
@ 2010-03-10 16:01 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-03-10 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 10.03.10 10:47, schrieb Philipp Gesang:
> Hi again,
>
> the transliteration module has been reworked following sunday's
> discussion on the list.  The table groups now come in separate files
> and are loaded / created only on demand.  The module now provides a
> \[start|stop]transliterate environment, credits for it go to Wolfgang.
> The most valuable suggestion came from Thomas: the former substitution
> functions that were using string.gsub() have been entirely replaced by
> LPeg, which proves to be surprisingly fast.  (Under some circumstances,
> it is faster than not transliterating at all.)
>
> I have opened a bitbucket account in order to not to clutter the mailing
> list with archives.  The tip revision can be found here:
> http://bitbucket.org/phg/transliterator/get/2fc2b5fbbd46.gz
> and the precompiled manual over here:
> http://bitbucket.org/phg/transliterator/downloads/transliterator.pdf

Can you also add the module to the module section [1] on the wiki,
for inclusion in the minimals ask Mojca.

[1] http://modules.contextgarden.net/

Wolfgang

* Re: Transliterator module, 2nd revision
@ 2010-03-10 22:09   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-03-10 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 17:01, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 10.03.10 10:47, schrieb Philipp Gesang:
>>
>> I have opened a bitbucket account in order to not to clutter the mailing
>> list with archives.  The tip revision can be found here:
>> http://bitbucket.org/phg/transliterator/get/2fc2b5fbbd46.gz
>> and the precompiled manual over here:
>> http://bitbucket.org/phg/transliterator/downloads/transliterator.pdf
>
> Can you also add the module to the module section [1] on the wiki,

We urgently need to have some "git server" or something similar on the
garden for modules. Maybe SVN would also do for a while. The current
approach is very clumsy to use.

> for inclusion in the minimals ask Mojca.

Once it's added to the modules of course.

Mojca

* Re: RCS/git server (was: Transliterator module, 2nd revision)
@ 2010-03-11  7:44     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-03-11  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2010-03-10 um 23:09 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 17:01, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Am 10.03.10 10:47, schrieb Philipp Gesang:
>>>
>>> I have opened a bitbucket account in order to not to clutter the
>>> mailing
>>> list with archives.  The tip revision can be found here:
>>> http://bitbucket.org/phg/transliterator/get/2fc2b5fbbd46.gz
>>> and the precompiled manual over here:
>>> http://bitbucket.org/phg/transliterator/downloads/transliterator.pdf
>>
>> Can you also add the module to the module section [1] on the wiki,
>
> We urgently need to have some "git server" or something similar on the
> garden for modules. Maybe SVN would also do for a while. The current
> approach is very clumsy to use.

see http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html#public-repositories

If the web server running supports WebDAV, we could use that:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/setup-git-server-over-http.txt

Otherwise you'd need to run git daemon (usually on port 9418):
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-daemon.html

For my non-public projects I just access the repos on my webserver via
ssh, but that wouldn't be enough for ConTeXt modules - or perhaps it
would, if everyone gets his/her own user account and you/Patrick can
link that into the module store.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Transliterator module, 2nd revision
@ 2010-03-11  8:06     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2010-03-11  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Can you also add the module to the module section [1] on the wiki,
>
> We urgently need to have some "git server" or something similar on the
> garden for modules. Maybe SVN would also do for a while. The current
> approach is very clumsy to use.

I don't think that the users should learn git, that means an automatic solution on the server would be needed. But these are not trivial to implement. Perhaps something like auto-versioning svn does the trick?

Patrick

* VCS for modules (was: Re: Transliterator module, 2nd revision)
@ 2010-03-11  9:28       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-03-11  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 11 2010, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> > We urgently need to have some "git server" or something similar on the
> > garden for modules. Maybe SVN would also do for a while. The current
> > approach is very clumsy to use.
>
> I don't think that the users should learn git,

Hello,

I don't know git, but if it's as easy to use as svn, then I don't see any
problem.  If it's too complex, then svn should do it, I think (do we need
the additional functions of git?)

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: VCS for modules (was: Re: Transliterator module, 2nd revision)
@ 2010-03-11  9:31         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-03-11  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't know git, but if it's as easy to use as svn,
It is.

--
luigi

* Re: Transliterator module, 2nd revision
@ 2010-03-11  9:32   ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-11  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings!

On 2010-03-10 <17:01:46>, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> >I have opened a bitbucket account in order to not to clutter the mailing
> >list with archives.  The tip revision can be found here:
> >http://bitbucket.org/phg/transliterator/get/2fc2b5fbbd46.gz
> >and the precompiled manual over here:
> >http://bitbucket.org/phg/transliterator/downloads/transliterator.pdf
> Can you also add the module to the module section [1] on the wiki,
Humble question: How do I add a module?  The modules login asks for the
wiki login data, thus I created a wiki account.  But the modules page
doesn't accept it …

> for inclusion in the minimals ask Mojca.
I'm not sure whether they would stay truly ‘mnml’ with all kinds of niche
modules added.  An entry on the modules page would suffice, I guess.

Philipp

@ 2010-03-11  9:58     ` Jelle Huisman
From: Jelle Huisman @ 2010-03-11  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/03/2010 09:32, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>> for inclusion in the minimals ask Mojca.
>>
> I'm not sure whether they would stay truly ‘mnml’ with all kinds of niche
> modules added.  An entry on the modules page would suffice, I guess.

'Minimal' means 'minimal effort' in this context, not 'minimal size'.

Jelle

* Re: Transliterator module, 2nd revision
@ 2010-03-11 10:33       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-11 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11-3-2010 10:58, Jelle Huisman wrote:
> On 11/03/2010 09:32, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>>> for inclusion in the minimals ask Mojca.
>> I'm not sure whether they would stay truly ‘mnml’ with all kinds of niche
>> modules added. An entry on the modules page would suffice, I guess.
>
> 'Minimal' means 'minimal effort' in this context, not 'minimal size'.

even then ... the minimals are way more minimal than a complete tex
installation

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-03-11 11:12         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-03-11 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:28, Peter Münster wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11 2010, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>
>> > We urgently need to have some "git server" or something similar on the
>> > garden for modules. Maybe SVN would also do for a while. The current
>> > approach is very clumsy to use.
>>
>> I don't think that the users should learn git,
>
> Hello,
>
> I don't know git, but if it's as easy to use as svn, then I don't see any
> problem.

Learning curve is the same. The main difference is that SVN is more
well-known and people are more comfortable using it.

You can compare it with LaTeX vs. ConTeXt. LaTeX is simply better
known and more people know how to use it, but ConTeXt is somehow more
powerful. For a beginner it's hardly a difference in the learning
curve.

> If it's too complex, then svn should do it, I think (do we need
> the additional functions of git?)

I mean - at the moment we don't have any "additional functions" at
all, so anything would be better than the current situation. But some
of the additional functions of git are really really worth having:
- ability to have a local repository & lots of functionality connected with that
- ease of branching/merging (authors may play with local branches on
their computer with ease)
- easy to implement something like "pull requests": someone needs to
confirm that the changes are at least approximately OK (from time to
time some files have accidentally been moved to the wrong place, so
that TeX Live had problems with updates); though I doubt that we
should do that it this moment

Drawbacks:
- ugly graphical user interface
- it would be nice to use something like github, but I don't like the
idea of using github as a main source since context-specific projects
dissolve in the sea of others
- one needs to set it up

If we decide to use SVN, we could set it up much faster though.

Mojca

* Re: Transliterator module, 2nd revision
@ 2010-03-11 11:25       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-03-11 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 09:06, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>>> Can you also add the module to the module section [1] on the wiki,
>>
>> We urgently need to have some "git server" or something similar on the
>> garden for modules. Maybe SVN would also do for a while. The current
>> approach is very clumsy to use.
>
> I don't think that the users should learn git, that means an automatic solution on the server would be needed. But these are not trivial to implement. Perhaps something like auto-versioning svn does the trick?

I partially agree with that, but then again - 99% of module writers
are probably clever enough to be able to apply two or three documented
commands to get the module working on the garden. Also keep in mind
that authors of most modules on the garden (Aditya, Wolfgang, also
Taco) already have their own version controll and just need to go
through the painful process of uploading their modules to the garden
in a proper way, even though the modules are already public on github
or somewhere else.

(I don't know how to use all the functionality that git offers, but
"git add, git commit, git pull, git push and maybe git diff" do enough
to cover all the basic needs. We don't need to ask users to know how
to branch, rebase etc. if they don't want to.)

In any case - we would still need some page with module information
even if we switch to some version-controlled system.

@ 2010-03-11 11:52       ` John Haltiwanger
From: John Haltiwanger @ 2010-03-11 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Another option is Gitosis:

http://swik.net/gitosis

from
http://scie.nti.st/2007/11/14/hosting-git-repositories-the-easy-and-secure-way:

"

I have been asked more and more these days, "How do I host a Git
repository?" Usually it is assumed that some access control beyond simply
read-only is involved (some users have commit rights). With access control
comes issues of security, and that's a whole other bag of cats. This post is
about presenting an answer to this question, without the fuss.

The rest of this article will be a tutorial showing you how to host and
manage Git repositories with access control, easily and safely. I use an up
and coming tool called *gitosis
<http://eagain.net/gitweb/?p=gitosis.git>*that my friend
Tv <http://eagain.net/> wrote to help make hosting git repos easier and
safer. It manages multiple repositories under one user account, using SSH
keys to identify users. *However, users do *not* need shell accounts on the
server, instead they will talk to one shared account that does not allow
arbitrary commands.* Git itself is used to setup gitosis and manage the Git
repos, which pleases the recursion-seeking orthogonal CS-side of my brain.

"

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>wrote:

> Am 2010-03-10 um 23:09 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

>>> Can you also add the module to the module section [1] on the wiki,
>>>

>> We urgently need to have some "git server" or something similar on the
>> garden for modules. Maybe SVN would also do for a while. The current
>> approach is very clumsy to use.
>>

> see
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html#public-repositories
>
> If the web server running supports WebDAV, we could use that:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/setup-git-server-over-http.txt
>
> Otherwise you'd need to run git daemon (usually on port 9418):
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-daemon.html
>
> For my non-public projects I just access the repos on my webserver via ssh,
> but that wouldn't be enough for ConTeXt modules - or perhaps it would, if
> everyone gets his/her own user account and you/Patrick can link that into
> the module store.
>
> Greetlings from Lake Constance!
> Hraban
> ---
> http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net
> https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: VCS for modules
@ 2010-03-11 12:03           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-11 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11-3-2010 12:12, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> - ugly graphical user interface

it's getting better, that is: on windows there is now tortoise git which
is quite ok (and indeed not so ugly as the other one)

unfortunately there is no nice free gui based management system for the
server end

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Modules section login (Was: Transliterator module, 2nd revision)
@ 2010-03-12  9:42     ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-12  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

On 2010-03-11 <10:32:50>, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> On 2010-03-10 <17:01:46>, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> > >I have opened a bitbucket account in order to not to clutter the mailing
> > >list with archives.  The tip revision can be found here:
> > >http://bitbucket.org/phg/transliterator/get/2fc2b5fbbd46.gz
> > >and the precompiled manual over here:
> > >http://bitbucket.org/phg/transliterator/downloads/transliterator.pdf
> > Can you also add the module to the module section [1] on the wiki,
> Humble question: How do I add a module?  The modules login asks for the
> wiki login data, thus I created a wiki account.  But the modules page
> doesn't accept it …

Sorry if this sounds confused.

My wiki account is now almost two days old but I still can't login at
the modules section.  I tried almost all possible permutations of login
name, full name, upper-/lowercase to no avail.  How does it really work?

Regards,

Philipp

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: Modules section login (Was: Transliterator module, 2nd revision)
@ 2010-03-12  9:57       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2010-03-12  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Phillip,

> My wiki account is now almost two days old but I still can't login at
> the modules section.  I tried almost all possible permutations of login
> name, full name, upper-/lowercase to no avail.  How does it really work?

Sorry for that. Can you contact me off-list? Then we will "debug" it. I have slight feeling could be the cause.

Patrick