* Unicode chars and \insertpages (Win7)
@ 2020-05-28 19:49 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-05-28 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I have the following sample:

  \startext
    \insertpages[ξ_file.pdf]
  \stoptext

Using latest on Linux, it works perfectly fine. On Windows (I’m still on
Win7), it doesn’t work unless I replace "ξ" with an ASCII character.

Could this be fixed or is it really a limiatation of Windows?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Unicode chars and \insertpages (Win7)
@ 2020-05-29  7:45 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-05-29  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/28/2020 9:49 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have the following sample:
>
>    \startext
>      \insertpages[ξ_file.pdf]
>    \stoptext
>
> Using latest on Linux, it works perfectly fine. On Windows (I’m still on
> Win7), it doesn’t work unless I replace "ξ" with an ASCII character.
>
> Could this be fixed or is it really a limiatation of Windows?
It depends on the version and engine. For luatex we also depends on the
interfacing that the texlive ecosystem provides. As Akira mentions,
there have been some developments in that area but I didn't test that
yet (no files with utf names here) but I trust his (always done) testing
of context. That will trickle into future binaries (which is somewhat
tricky as we have experimental as well as current).

In luametatex things are different. There all windows specific
operations have wide-character support, that is, the utf8 goes via utf16
and codepages and such: filenames, environment variables, command line
arguments, whatever.

That said: I never use non-ascii non-spacy names ... it's the most
portable.

Hans

* Re: Unicode chars and \insertpages (Win7)
@ 2020-05-30 16:49   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-05-30 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/29/20 9:45 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>    [...]
>>      \insertpages[ξ_file.pdf]
>>
>> Using latest on Linux, it works perfectly fine. On Windows (I’m still on
>> Win7), it doesn’t work unless I replace "ξ" with an ASCII character.
>>
>> Could this be fixed or is it really a limiatation of Windows?
> It depends on the version and engine. [...]
> In luametatex things are different. There all windows specific
> operations have wide-character support, that is, the utf8 goes via utf16
> and codepages and such: filenames, environment variables, command line
> arguments, whatever.

Hans,

sorry for the late reply.

I reported this because I use LuaMetaTeX and I thought Unicode was fully
available for Windows.

> That said: I never use non-ascii non-spacy names ... it's the most
> portable.

This was my first file with an exception to that rule.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2020-05-30 17:38     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-05-30 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/30/2020 6:49 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 5/29/20 9:45 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 5/28/2020 9:49 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>>     [...]
>>>       \insertpages[ξ_file.pdf]
>>>
>>> Using latest on Linux, it works perfectly fine. On Windows (I’m still on
>>> Win7), it doesn’t work unless I replace "ξ" with an ASCII character.
>>>
>>> Could this be fixed or is it really a limiatation of Windows?
>> It depends on the version and engine. [...]
>> In luametatex things are different. There all windows specific
>> operations have wide-character support, that is, the utf8 goes via utf16
>> and codepages and such: filenames, environment variables, command line
>> arguments, whatever.
>
> Hans,
>
> sorry for the late reply.
>
> I reported this because I use LuaMetaTeX and I thought Unicode was fully
> available for Windows.
>
>> That said: I never use non-ascii non-spacy names ... it's the most
>> portable.
>
> This was my first file with an exception to that rule.
ah, i see, i need to enable something (i never came to doing that
because it's a new feature of the pdf lib)

it needs testign but i can't send you a test file because your mail host
doesn't accept our mails (bounce) and i'm not going to waste time
figuring that out

Hans

* Re: Unicode chars and \insertpages (Win7)
@ 2020-05-31 10:16       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-05-31 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/30/20 7:38 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 5/29/20 9:45 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>>> That said: I never use non-ascii non-spacy names ... it's the most
>>> portable.
>>
>> This was my first file with an exception to that rule.
> ah, i see, i need to enable something (i never came to doing that
> because it's a new feature of the pdf lib)
>
> it needs testign but i can't send you a test file because your mail host
> doesn't accept our mails (bounce) and i'm not going to waste time
> figuring that out

Sorry, Hans, I don’t know why GMX rejects messages from xs4all.nl
(without reading the bounce message).

I wonder whether the test file might be sent to the list in this case.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2020-05-31 11:35         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-05-31 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/31/2020 12:16 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 5/30/20 7:38 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 5/30/2020 6:49 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>> On 5/29/20 9:45 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> This was my first file with an exception to that rule.
>> ah, i see, i need to enable something (i never came to doing that
>> because it's a new feature of the pdf lib)
>>
>> it needs testign but i can't send you a test file because your mail host
>> doesn't accept our mails (bounce) and i'm not going to waste time
>> figuring that out
>
> Sorry, Hans, I don’t know why GMX rejects messages from xs4all.nl
> (without reading the bounce message).
>
> I wonder whether the test file might be sent to the list in this case.
you'll have to wait till the update ... i'm not going to send large
source files to the list

Hans