* ConTeXt beta in MikTeX
@ 2010-12-22 11:22 barndog1946
From: barndog1946 @ 2010-12-22 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Mojca, Hans, Wolfgang and all other users:

1. Get minimals, I used context-setup-mswin
2. Follow setup install for windows.
3. Using Winedt:
a. go to options, execution modes
b. in full executeables...enter full path where you installed minimals
c. Now in TeX\MikTeX\Options...Add a search root to minimals
d. UPIDATE file name database

et voila!!!! you now have Context latest beta running under MikTeX via
Winedt!!!!!

Thanks to ALL who gave hints and tips on this so forcing me to get it DONE!

barney

* Re: ConTeXt beta in MikTeX
@ 2010-12-22 11:38 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-12-22 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-12-2010 12:22, barndog1946@gmail.com wrote:
> Mojca, Hans, Wolfgang and all other users:
>
> 1. Get minimals, I used context-setup-mswin
> 2. Follow setup install for windows.
> 3. Using Winedt:
> a. go to options, execution modes
> b. in full executeables...enter full path where you installed minimals
> c. Now in TeX\MikTeX\Options...Add a search root to minimals
> d. UPIDATE file name database
>
> et voila!!!! you now have Context latest beta running under MikTeX via
> Winedt!!!!!
>
> Thanks to ALL who gave hints and tips on this so forcing me to get it DONE!

did you wikify it?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ConTeXt beta in MikTeX
@ 2010-12-22 14:32   ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2010-12-22 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:38:49 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>> 1. Get minimals, I used context-setup-mswin
>> 2. Follow setup install for windows.
>> 3. Using Winedt:
>> a. go to options, execution modes
>> b. in full executeables...enter full path where you installed minimals
>> c. Now in TeX\MikTeX\Options...Add a search root to minimals
>> d. UPIDATE file name database
>>
>> et voila!!!! you now have Context latest beta running under MikTeX via
>> Winedt!!!!!
>>
>> Thanks to ALL who gave hints and tips on this so forcing me to get it DONE!
>
> did you wikify it?

While I don't doubt that it is possible to use context minimal
beside a miktex installation to some extent and also to use some of
the miktex ressources when doing it (I have done something similar
when miktex hadn't luatex yet) I doubt _very_ much that one can get
a "Context latest beta running under MikTeX" in this way.

If this context is running the newest luatex from the minimals I
don't see how it should be able to see the roots of miktex without
manipulating the texmf.cnf first, or use the filename database of
miktex (FNDB) at all, or use the tools of miktex (like on-the-fly
installation, or format generation through miktex settings).

Barney is probably simply using context minimals and this will work
fine as long as miktex doesn't interfere (e.g. through name clashes
in the executables).

--
Ulrike Fischer

* Re: ConTeXt beta in MikTeX
@ 2010-12-22 22:43 ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2010-12-22 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/12/22  <barndog1946@gmail.com>:
> et voila!!!! you now have Context latest beta running under MikTeX via
> Winedt!!!!!

Why do you use Winedt with ConTeXt? Winedt is shareware and doesn't
really do Unicode.

Best
   Martin

* Re: ConTeXt beta in MikTeX
@ 2010-12-23  7:33   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-12-23  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 23:43, Martin Schröder wrote:
> 2010/12/22  <barndog1946@gmail.com>:
>> et voila!!!! you now have Context latest beta running under MikTeX via
>> Winedt!!!!!
>
> Why do you use Winedt with ConTeXt? Winedt is shareware and doesn't
> really do Unicode.

I'm not Barney, but I use a commercial editor too (TextMate) - the
fact that it is shareware should not be the reason not to use it. And
from what I understand WinEdt kind-of-works with Unicode (as long as
all the characters belong to a single codepade, it is able to save and
read the file as UTF-8).

WinEdt was my favorite editor for a long time as well. It is very easy
to use for beginners of LaTeX. I really liked the fact that it
automatically recognizes the TeX distribution (MikTeX), one just
presses a button to compile (no need to have a separate console and
run pdflatex - I had no idea how to use pdflatex from command line at
that time), it has spell checker, but the most useful feature are tabs
with mathematical symbols. But yes ... Unicode used to be a
showstopper.

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt beta in MikTeX
@ 2010-12-23 22:46     ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2010-12-23 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/12/23 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:
> from what I understand WinEdt kind-of-works with Unicode (as long as
> all the characters belong to a single codepade, it is able to save and
> read the file as UTF-8).

It's 2010, not 1995. Forget about editors that don't do Unicode.
Especially if they cost money.

Best
   Martin

* Re: ConTeXt beta in MikTeX
@ 2010-12-25 16:12       ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2010-12-25 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Thu, 23 Dec 2010 23:46:26 +0100 schrieb Martin Schröder:

>> from what I understand WinEdt kind-of-works with Unicode (as long as
>> all the characters belong to a single codepade, it is able to save and
>> read the file as UTF-8).

> It's 2010, not 1995. Forget about editors that don't do Unicode.
> Especially if they cost money.

Even in 2010 I'm still writing only texts which need the characters
from the ansinew codepage. I don't know any language which use a
different script. In the few cases I had to insert a greek word in a
text I could use ^^-notation or \char/symbol or a transscription.

So why should I care if an editor can handle chinese or arabic?

Should I really invest a lot of time to get used to another editor
only because it has features I will probably never need?

--
Ulrike Fischer