* Mojca, Miktex, and seeming success!
@ 2008-10-02 20:53 dwarnold45
From: dwarnold45 @ 2008-10-02 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Mojca,

OK, saw your new post on:

http://blog.miktex.org/post/2008/05/ConTeXt-support.aspx

So, I extracted cont-tfm.zip to c:\Contet, used Miktex2.7->Settings to add it as a Root, refreshed the filename database, but the formats will still not build in Miktext2.7->Settings->Format cont-en.pdftex.

Creating the cont-en.pdftex format file...
Running pdftex...
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.4 (MiKTeX 2.7) (INITEX)

entering extended mode

("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\context\config\cont-en.ini")

! Emergency stop.

<*> cont-en.ini

No pages of output.

Transcript written on cont-en.log.

makefmt: pdftex failed on cont-en.ini.
initexmf.EXE: The operation failed for some reason.

And my new format attempt won't build either:

("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\context\patterns\lang-hu.pat"

! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pattern memory=300000].

l.1243 ^^c3^^a1h1ors

No pages of output.

Transcript written on cont-en.log.

makefmt: pdftex failed on cont-en.tex.
initexmf.EXE: The operation failed for some reason.

Finally, I gave up on trying to use Miktex2.7->Settings to build the formats, opened a DOS box, and typed:

$ texmfstart texexec --make --all

I refreshed the filename database, now things seemingly work.

This file:

\starttext
Hello, World!
\stoptext

Does compile with:

$ texmfstart texexec --pdf junk.tex

And this file:

input mp-tool

beginfig(1);

numeric u;
10u=4in;

drawdblarrow (-5u,0)--(5u,0);
label.rt(btex $\theta$ etex, (5u,0));
drawdblarrow (0,-5u)--(0,5u);
label.top(btex $\phi$ etex, (0,5u));

endfig;

end.

Does compile with:

$ mpost junk.mp

And more importantly, mptopdf now seemingly works, as I can now do:

$ mptopdf junk.1

Which produces junk-1.pdf and opens correctly with the correct fonts.

So, we'll see how this stands up ....

Thanks for the help.

Still open to further suggestion if any critique of my method.

D.

* Re: Mojca, Miktex, and seeming success!
@ 2008-10-02 21:57 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-10-02 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 10:53 PM,  <dwarnold45@suddenlink.net> wrote:
> Mojca,
>
> OK, saw your new post on:
>
> http://blog.miktex.org/post/2008/05/ConTeXt-support.aspx
>
> So, I extracted cont-tfm.zip to c:\Contet, used Miktex2.7->Settings to add it as a Root, refreshed the filename database, but the formats will still not build in Miktext2.7->Settings->Format cont-en.pdftex.
>
> Creating the cont-en.pdftex format file...
> Running pdftex...
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.4 (MiKTeX 2.7) (INITEX)
>
> entering extended mode
>
> ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\context\config\cont-en.ini")
>
> ! Emergency stop.
>
> <*> cont-en.ini

You could try to change "cont-en.ini" into "cont-en.tex". I have no
idea what's the difference, but one of the two of you who have
complained about non-working ConTeXt on MikTeX reported that changing
cont-en.ini into cont-en.tex has helped.

> makefmt: pdftex failed on cont-en.ini.
> initexmf.EXE: The operation failed for some reason.

I got that one lots of time as well, but no idea why.

> And my new format attempt won't build either:
>
> ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\context\patterns\lang-hu.pat"
>
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pattern memory=300000].
>
> l.1243 ^^c3^^a1h1ors

That one should be solvable, it's only that MikTeX handles those
memory values in some non-standard way.

See this thread:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/miktex-tex-capacity-exceeded-651565/
   http://docs.miktex.org/manual/initexmf.html

I guess that it could be something like
   initexmf --edit-config-file pdftex.cfg

and then you set pattern-memory or pattern_memory to some larger
value. But you would need to google and test.

> Finally, I gave up on trying to use Miktex2.7->Settings to build the formats, opened a DOS box, and typed:
>
> $ texmfstart texexec --make --all

If you create texexec.bat, you don't need to type all that. I never
use texmfstart, only texexec or context.

> I refreshed the filename database, now things seemingly work.
>
> This file:
>
> \starttext
> Hello, World!
> \stoptext
>
> Does compile with:
>
> $ texmfstart texexec --pdf junk.tex
>
> And this file:
>
> input mp-tool
>
> beginfig(1);
>
> numeric u;
> 10u=4in;
>
> drawdblarrow (-5u,0)--(5u,0);
> label.rt(btex $\theta$ etex, (5u,0));
> drawdblarrow (0,-5u)--(0,5u);
> label.top(btex $\phi$ etex, (0,5u));
>
> endfig;
>
> end.
>
> Does compile with:
>
> $ mpost junk.mp
>
> And more importantly, mptopdf now seemingly works, as I can now do:
>
> $ mptopdf junk.1
>
> Which produces junk-1.pdf and opens correctly with the correct fonts.

Great :)

> So, we'll see how this stands up ....
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Still open to further suggestion if any critique of my method.

See above, but if texexec --make works OK, that's fine. There have
been numerous problems with formats in MikTeX and I wasn't sure if
they have been resolved or not.

Mojca

* Re: Mojca, Miktex, and seeming success!
@ 2008-10-03  8:42   ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2008-10-03  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Thu, 2 Oct 2008 23:57:40 +0200 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

>> makefmt: pdftex failed on cont-en.ini.
>> initexmf.EXE: The operation failed for some reason.
>
> I got that one lots of time as well, but no idea why.

It simply means that a format generation didn't work. If you get a bunch
of such messages e.g. after an update it means that in a formats.ini
(probably a local one) are still entries for context lurking around.

--
Ulrike Fischer

* Re: Mojca, Miktex, and seeming success!
@ 2008-10-03 10:01 ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2008-10-03 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Thu, 2 Oct 2008 15:53:39 -0500 schrieb dwarnold45@suddenlink.net:

> So, I extracted cont-tfm.zip to c:\Contet, used Miktex2.7->Settings to
> add it as a Root, refreshed the filename database, but the formats
> will still not build in Miktext2.7->Settings->Format cont-en.pdftex.
>
> Creating the cont-en.pdftex format file...
> Running pdftex...
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.4 (MiKTeX 2.7) (INITEX)
>
> entering extended mode
>
> ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\context\config\cont-en.ini")
>
> ! Emergency stop.
>
> <*> cont-en.ini

I downloaded cont-tfm.zip and looked into the zip: There are no
cont-en.ini there. So from where did you get this .ini and what's its
content?

--
Ulrike Fischer

* Re: Mojca, Miktex, and seeming success!
@ 2008-10-03 10:09   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-10-03 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.10.2008 um 12:01 schrieb Ulrike Fischer:

> Am Thu, 2 Oct 2008 15:53:39 -0500 schrieb dwarnold45@suddenlink.net:
>
>> So, I extracted cont-tfm.zip to c:\Contet, used Miktex2.7->Settings
>> add it as a Root, refreshed the filename database, but the formats
>> will still not build in Miktext2.7->Settings->Format cont-en.pdftex.
>>
>> Creating the cont-en.pdftex format file...
>> Running pdftex...
>> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.4 (MiKTeX 2.7) (INITEX)
>>
>> entering extended mode
>>
>> ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\context\config\cont-en.ini")
>>
>> ! Emergency stop.
>>
>> <*> cont-en.ini
>
> I downloaded cont-tfm.zip and looked into the zip: There are no
> cont-en.ini there. So from where did you get this .ini and what's its
> content?

ConTeXt use the cont-xx.tex files to generate the formats,
the ini files need to be part of MikTeX.

Wolfgang

* Re: Mojca, Miktex, and seeming success!
@ 2008-10-03 11:34     ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2008-10-03 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:09:26 +0200 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:

>> I downloaded cont-tfm.zip and looked into the zip: There are no
>> cont-en.ini there. So from where did you get this .ini and what's its
>> content?
>
> ConTeXt use the cont-xx.tex files to generate the formats,
> the ini files need to be part of MikTeX.

Sure. But miktex has two sorts of .ini-files:
1. Wrapper files for commands for the generation of formats (they
contain things like \input cont-en.tex \dump). This .ini-files you find
below <texmf>\tex\.

2. Containers for memory and path settings comparable to texmf.cnf. This
are stored in <texmf>\miktex\config.

If you move .ini-files of the second sort to a place where e.g. pdftex
looks for .ini-file of the first sort you can get very bewildering error
messages. And as it is easy to confuse the files one should always check
their content.

--
Ulrike Fischer