* commands manual (setup-en.pdf) organized by topic
@ 2018-12-05 17:04 mf
From: mf @ 2018-12-05 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list,
i always use the "Commands" manual a lot to retrieve information about
the parameters and options of ConTeXt commands.

The manual is built from the .xml files in the

tex/texmf-context/tex/context/interface

directory.

Since those files are organized by topic, is it possible to generate a
manual with the same contents of setup-en.pdf, but sorted by topic, and
then alphabetically?

I've seen there's a module for the manual creation
(tex/texmf-context/tex/context/modules/mkiv/x-setups-basics.mkiv), but i
can't see options for a different sorting of commands.

TIA,
Massimiliano

PS: (something about the question originating this request) I know only
a little portion of the available ConTeXt commands, and sometimes i
realize that there are commands i was not aware of, that fit better than
my solutions, which were built with the few commands i knew (i.e. think
of the many variants of delimited text).

* Re: commands manual (setup-en.pdf) organized by topic
@ 2018-12-05 18:01 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2018-12-05 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

mf schrieb am 05.12.18 um 18:04:
> Hello list,
> i always use the "Commands" manual a lot to retrieve information about
> the parameters and options of ConTeXt commands.
>
> The manual is built from the .xml files in the
>
> tex/texmf-context/tex/context/interface
>
> directory.
>
> Since those files are organized by topic, is it possible to generate a
> manual with the same contents of setup-en.pdf, but sorted by topic, and
> then alphabetically?
>
> I've seen there's a module for the manual creation
> (tex/texmf-context/tex/context/modules/mkiv/x-setups-basics.mkiv), but i
> can't see options for a different sorting of commands.

You can get a list of the files with

   context --extra=setups --list

and create a document with a limited number of commands
from certain categories with

   context --extra=setups delimitedtext,narrow

Wolfgang

* Re: commands manual (setup-en.pdf) organized by topic
@ 2018-12-06  6:30   ` Jan U. Hasecke
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2018-12-06  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> You can get a list of the files with
>
>   context --extra=setups --list
>
> and create a document with a limited number of commands
> from certain categories with
>
>   context --extra=setups delimitedtext,narrow

Cool! Neat factsheet to print out, if you give a workshop about ConTeXt.

I am looking for a small text explaining the naming system of the
commands, because I only partly understand the interdependence of eg.
singular and plural commands.

What is the difference of singular and plural commands like \setupfloat
and \setupfloats. Does the singular always inherit from the plural? And why?

I have a limited understanding of the \defineX \setupX and \X line, but
would love to hear more.

And lately I often see here that setups are named like "foo:bar". What
is the meaning of the double colon?

So what I would often need is a How-to-read-the-setup-en-pdf.

A Happy St Nicholas' Day
juh

* Re: commands manual (setup-en.pdf) organized by topic
@ 2018-12-06  8:25     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-12-06  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/6/2018 7:30 AM, Jan U. Hasecke wrote:
> Am 05.12.18 um 19:01 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>> You can get a list of the files with
>>
>>    context --extra=setups --list
>>
>> and create a document with a limited number of commands
>> from certain categories with
>>
>>    context --extra=setups delimitedtext,narrow
>
> Cool! Neat factsheet to print out, if you give a workshop about ConTeXt.
>
> I am looking for a small text explaining the naming system of the
> commands, because I only partly understand the interdependence of eg.
> singular and plural commands.

mostly historic (we don't want to drop compatibility)

> What is the difference of singular and plural commands like \setupfloat
> and \setupfloats. Does the singular always inherit from the plural? And why?

in most cases they're synonyms

> I have a limited understanding of the \defineX \setupX and \X line, but
> would love to hear more.

just try one command, say \defineframed \setupframed ... the concepts
are the same (only a few commands for practical reasons behave different)

> And lately I often see here that setups are named like "foo:bar". What
> is the meaning of the double colon?

variants (same command, different options) or instances

> So what I would often need is a How-to-read-the-setup-en-pdf.

Hans