I need a table that has local notes, but have not been able to get them into the proper position (at the left margin of the table) or the the proper length ( extending full length of table if needed). What am I missing in the following reduced example? \starttext \startlocalfootnotes[conversion=character] \placetable[][] {} \placelegend {\starttables[|p|p|p|p|p|p|] \NC numbers \NC (*) \footnote{This is the first footnote.} \NC stuff \footnote{This is the second footnote.} \NC stuff\footnote{This is the third footnote.} \NC more stuff\footnote{This is the fourth footnote} \NC and yet more \NC\SR \HL \stoptables} {\placelocalfootnotes} \stoplocalfootnotes \stoptext Alan