* Re: ConTeXt beta installation issue
       [not found] <55E7D66E-5809-11D7-856F-000A959F0E52@muohio.edu>
@ 2003-03-17  9:11 ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2003-03-17  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, NTG-context

On Monday, Mar 17, 2003, at 00:45 Europe/Amsterdam, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> I've been using Simon's installer script successfully of late to
> install betas, but just ran into the following error (see below).  Any
> ideas or suggestions?
>
> The command I used was:
>
> sudo perl install_context.pl --textree /Users/darcusb/Library/texmf
> /Applications/Installers/ConTeXt/cont-tmf.zip
>
> I do note that the pdfetex.pool it says it can't open is in this
> directory:
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/

It is pdfetex that fails  because it cannot find the pool file.

Whatever install_context.pl does, it seems to override PATH (another
pdfetex on your system is found, not likely) or KPSE settings from
/usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf in such a way that TeX stops working.

Probably it tries to do some guessing itself instead of relying on
existing settings. What might influence this is that my setup separates
the texmf part that is related to binaries (like pool files that change
when binary versions change) and the stuff that is the fondation (like
ConTeXt, LATeX, etc). /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf starts with:

> % Our directory setup as explained in
> $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/README.gwtex
> % TEXMFMAIN contains the TEXMF tree installed by make install of the
> programs
> TEXMFMAIN = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf
> % TEXMFTE contains the main TEXMF tree from teTeX
> TEXMFTE = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.tetex
> % TEXMFGW contains GW specific defaults and additions
> TEXMFGW = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.gwtex
> % TEXMFLOCAL contains any local system TeXadmin overrides
> TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.local
> % $VARTEXMF is where texconfig writes its local settings
> VARTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL
> % User texmf trees can be catered for like this...
> HOMETEXMF = $HOME/Library/texmf
>
> % Our complete search path, the last three are searched through
> % ls-R exclusively, which means that you have to run texhash
> % after you have added, moved or deleted files in the tree
> TEXMF={$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFGW,!!$TEXMFTE,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

In this case, there is a valid TeX setup, though uncommon because the
separation of texmf into texmf and texmf.tetex. I need this separation
to be able to update programs and foundation separately. A new
foundation (texmf.tetex + texmf.gwtex) does not touch anything related
to the binaries (like pool files) in texmf.

If you send me the script I can have a quick look at it.

Here is what which and kpsewhich should tell you in a standard setup

% which pdfetex
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdfetex
% kpsewhich pdfetex.pool
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/pdfetex.pool
% kpsewhich cont-en.tex
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/context/base/cont-en.tex

* Re: Re: ConTeXt beta installation issue
@ 2003-03-17 17:32   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-17 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Bruce D'Arcus, Gerben Wierda

At 10:11 AM 3/17/2003 +0100, Gerben Wierda wrote:

Probably it tries to do some guessing itself instead of relying on existing
settings. What might influence this is that my setup separates the texmf
part that is related to binaries (like pool files that change when binary
versions change) and the stuff that is the fondation (like ConTeXt, LATeX,
etc). /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf starts with:

>>% Our directory setup as explained in $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/README.gwtex
>>% TEXMFMAIN contains the TEXMF tree installed by make install of the programs
>>TEXMFMAIN = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf
>>% TEXMFTE contains the main TEXMF tree from teTeX
>>TEXMFTE = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.tetex
>>% TEXMFGW contains GW specific defaults and additions
>>TEXMFGW = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.gwtex
>>% TEXMFLOCAL contains any local system TeXadmin overrides
>>TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.local
>>% $VARTEXMF is where texconfig writes its local settings
>>VARTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL
>>% User texmf trees can be catered for like this...
>>HOMETEXMF = $HOME/Library/texmf
>>
>>% Our complete search path, the last three are searched through
>>% ls-R exclusively, which means that you have to run texhash
>>% after you have added, moved or deleted files in the tree
>>TEXMF={$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFGW,!!$TEXMFTE,!!$TEXMFMAIN}
>
>In this case, there is a valid TeX setup, though uncommon because the
>separation of texmf into texmf and texmf.tetex. I need this separation to
>be able to update programs and foundation separately. A new foundation
>(texmf.tetex + texmf.gwtex) does not touch anything related to the
>binaries (like pool files) in texmf.

here i also have split trees:

# example setup file / hans hagen
#
# dos2unix setuptex
# . setuptex
# mktexlsr
# texexec --make --alone

TEXROOT=/usr/local/tex

export TEXROOT

PATH=$TEXROOT/texmf-linux/bin:$PATH

export PATH

TEXMFMAIN=$TEXROOT/texmf
TEXMFLOCAL=$TEXROOT/texmf-local
TEXMFFONTS=$TEXROOT/texmf-fonts
TEXMFPROJECT=$TEXROOT/texmf-project
TEXMFLINUX=$TEXROOT/texmf-linux
VARTEXMF=$TEXROOT/texmf-var

export TEXMFMAIN
export TEXMFLOCAL
export TEXMFPROJECT
export TEXMFFONTS
export TEXMFLINUX
export VARTEXMF

# the next lines fail on dec alpha os's, so there you need
# to comment them (bug traced down by kees van marle/martin
# corrino)

HOMETEXMF=
export HOMETEXMF

TEXMFCNF=$TEXROOT/texmf{-local,}/web2c
TEXMF='{$TEXMFLINUX,$TEXMFPROJECT,$TEXMFFONTS,$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}'
TEXFORMATS=$TEXMFLINUX/web2c

TEXPOOL=$TEXFORMATS
MPPOOL=$TEXFORMATS

export TEXMFCNF
export TEXMF
export TEXFORMATS
export TEXPOOL
export MPPOOL

now, if you split off the bin tree, it makes sense to set TEXPOOL and
MPPOOL explicitly; that way you can be sure that the binaries find them
your way; the texmf files use these variables and copy them to the other
relevant pool variables.

[i installed tex on a mac here, and there i have TEXMFMACOSX as well]

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Re: ConTeXt beta installation issue
@ 2003-03-17 19:54   ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2003-03-17 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:11:33AM +0100, Gerben Wierda wrote:
> Whatever install_context.pl does, it seems to override PATH (another
> pdfetex on your system is found, not likely) or KPSE settings from
> /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf in such a way that TeX stops working.
>
> Probably it tries to do some guessing itself instead of relying on
  ????????
> existing settings. What might influence this is that my setup separates
> the texmf part that is related to binaries (like pool files that change
> when binary versions change) and the stuff that is the fondation (like
> ConTeXt, LATeX, etc). /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf starts with:

It does its utmost to get all its information from kpathsea. I find
its integration with kpathsea its nicest feature.

> >% $VARTEXMF is where texconfig writes its local settings
> >VARTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL

I would not like this. TEXMFLOCAL should survive through upgrades of
the distribution, VARTEXMF should not.

> If you send me the script I can have a quick look at it.

www.hobby.nl/~scaprea/context/install_context.pl

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
email: spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl

* Re: Re: ConTeXt beta installation issue
@ 2003-03-18  8:00     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-18  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:54 PM 3/17/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>I would not like this. TEXMFLOCAL should survive through upgrades of
>the distribution, VARTEXMF should not.

indeed; for similar reasons i have texmf-fonts (for commercial fonts) and
texmf-project (for project we do for others)

@ 2003-03-16 23:32 Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2003-03-16 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been using Simon's installer script successfully of late to
install betas, but just ran into the following error (see below).  Any
ideas or suggestions?

The command I used was:

sudo perl install_context.pl --textree /Users/darcusb/Library/texmf
/Applications/Installers/ConTeXt/cont-tmf.zip

I do note that the pdfetex.pool it says it can't open is in this
directory:

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/

Bruce
========================
Making formats for languages en nl

  TeXExec 3.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2003

running `pdfetex -ini   -jobname=cont-en -progname=context
*cont-en.ini' ...
! I can't read pdfetex.pool; bad path?
Error: `pdfetex -ini  -jobname=cont-en -progname=context *cont-en.ini'
failed

#######
fmtutil: Error! Not all formats have been built successfully.
Visit the log files in directory
   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c
for details.
#######

This is a summary of all `failed' messages and warnings:
`pdfetex -ini  -jobname=cont-en -progname=context *cont-en.ini' failed
! I can't read pdfetex.pool; bad path?
running `pdfetex -ini   -jobname=cont-nl -progname=context
*cont-nl.ini' ...
! I can't read pdfetex.pool; bad path?
Error: `pdfetex -ini  -jobname=cont-nl -progname=context *cont-nl.ini'
failed

#######
fmtutil: Error! Not all formats have been built successfully.
Visit the log files in directory
   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c
for details.
#######

This is a summary of all `failed' messages and warnings:
`pdfetex -ini  -jobname=cont-nl -progname=context *cont-nl.ini' failed
! I can't read pdfetex.pool; bad path?

             TeX binary : pdfetex
              format(s) : en nl

         total run time : 8 seconds