* Font selection problem in MKIV
@ 2011-05-21 15:31 Otso Helenius
From: Otso Helenius @ 2011-05-21 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Try
> > \switchtotypeface[LeagueScript][12pt]
> \switchtobodyfont[LeageScript]

Is \switchtobodyfont the recommended way of changing the typeface temporarily anywhere in a document
(for example when making cover page graphics)? Its name implies only document body.

Nevertheless, \switchtobodyfont works (at least in the document body, haven't tested yet elsewhere)
without setting \setupbodyfont.

> \definetypeface[LeagueScript][ss][specsans][League Script Thin]
> \definetypeface[Pompadour][ss][specsans][Pompadour]

This seems to work for most fonts, with others like Pompadour it fails (pompadour has SubFamily string of
"Black" [Mac] and "Regular" [Windows] in the .otf), and spec fails to find pompadour-normal-normal which
it is looking for). Pompadour is a serif font, so i tried also with arguments [rm][specserif].

I have looked into co-typography.pdf for help, and while it is very extensive in some parts, in others it
is (too) technical and lacks expanations for some parameters.

As soon as I get these issues sorted out I'll try if I can make the MKIV font pages in the Wiki a bit
more beginner friendly.

Best regads,
Otso Helenius

* Re: Font selection problem in MKIV
@ 2011-05-21 17:31 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-05-21 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 21.05.2011 um 17:31 schrieb Otso Helenius:

>> Try
>>> \switchtotypeface[LeagueScript][12pt]
>> \switchtobodyfont[LeageScript]
>
> Is \switchtobodyfont the recommended way of changing the typeface temporarily anywhere in a document
> (for example when making cover page graphics)? Its name implies only document body.
>
> Nevertheless, \switchtobodyfont works (at least in the document body, haven't tested yet elsewhere)
> without setting \setupbodyfont.

\switchtotypeface wasn’t working for you because the second argument
expects a font alternative (e.g. rm, ss etc.)  and not the size.

You can also switch to a certain typeface when you use the command,
in your case \LeagueScript but have to ensure that the typeface
is loaded, otherwise you’ll get an error message.

The preferred method to select a typescript are \setupbodyfont and
\switchtobodyfont, the differences between both is that \switchtobodyfont
use the chosen font only for the document text while \setupbodyfont
affects also the header and footer of your document.

>> \definetypeface[LeagueScript][ss][specsans][League Script Thin]
>> \definetypeface[Pompadour][ss][specsans][Pompadour]
>
> This seems to work for most fonts, with others like Pompadour it fails (pompadour has SubFamily string of
> "Black" [Mac] and "Regular" [Windows] in the .otf), and spec fails to find pompadour-normal-normal which
> it is looking for). Pompadour is a serif font, so i tried also with arguments [rm][specserif].

A real problem with all TeX systems, fonts have too many names
and it’s hard to know which one you need to load it.

> I have looked into co-typography.pdf for help, and while it is very extensive in some parts, in others it
> is (too) technical and lacks expanations for some parameters.

Indeed, Hans explains in his manuals sometimes too much which can
confuse a beginner because these information aren’t necessary to
use a certain mechanism, e.g. to load a font.

Wolfgang

* Re: Font selection problem in MKIV
@ 2011-05-21 18:21   ` Otso Helenius
From: Otso Helenius @ 2011-05-21 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 07:31:24PM +0200, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

Thank You for clarification on the subject. Though, I still have a few problems for which I haven't found an answer for.

\setuppapersize[A4][A4]
\starttypescript[Sans][LeagueScript]
\definefontsynonym[Sans][name:leaguescriptthin]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript[Sans][Pompadour]
\definefontsynonym[Sans][name:pompadourblack]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface[LeagueScript][ss][Sans][LeagueScript]
\definetypeface[Pompadour][ss][Sans][Pompadour]
\setupbodyfont[LeagueScript,14pt]

\starttext
\LeagueScript 01234567890
\Pompadour 01234567890
\stoptext

This source works as expected, but if I:

a) comment out the \setupbodyfont command or switch [LeagueScript, 14pt) into [modern, 14pt] (or anything else than LeagueScript or
Pompadour), all fonts will show up as Latin Modern. This seems very odd.

b) specify a font size less than 13pt in \setupbodyfont, all fonts will (again) show up as Latin Modern. It seems that nowhere in the
document I'm able to use these "external" fonts in small sizes. There is no problem with sizes >= 14pt. This seems to happen with all
ttf/otf fonts I try to use.

Could it be possible that these two issues are caused by a bug in MKIV?

> Indeed, Hans explains in his manuals sometimes too much which can
> confuse a beginner because these information aren’t necessary to
> use a certain mechanism, e.g. to load a font.

Actually, the biggest problem is that many font related pages on the Wiki are for MKII and many lack information on whether the syntax
is for MKII or MKIV. The font docs on Pragma homepages are for MKII only.

Syntax for the \switchtotypeface would be nice. showfont.pdf from Pragma homepage shows \switchtotypeface[name][size,type] as one
possible calling syntax but a clear explanation of all the parameters is missing. I would like to add this to the Wiki along other
tutorials for MKIV font usage, so as much information on the subject as possible is appreciated.

Thanks again,

@ 2011-05-21 20:03   ` Otso Helenius
From: Otso Helenius @ 2011-05-21 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, I was in error while referring to the font sizes. The actual "limit" below
which typescripted fonts stop working is 12pt and it is not tied to the \setupbodyfont
setting. Any font output with 12pt or less will be formatted as Latin Modern. i.e.

\switchtotypeface[Pompadour][ss,12pt] 01234567890

shows as Latin Modern whereas

\switchtotypeface[Pompadour][ss,12.1pt] 01234567890

shows as Pompadour. 12pt is the default document font size so I can only guess there
is some kind of a conflict. I'm using ConTeXt  ver: 2011.05.18 22:26 MKIV

Best,

@ 2011-05-22  7:22     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-05-22  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 21.05.2011 um 20:21 schrieb Otso Helenius:

> Syntax for the \switchtotypeface would be nice. showfont.pdf from Pragma homepage shows \switchtotypeface[name][size,type] as one
> possible calling syntax but a clear explanation of all the parameters is missing. I would like to add this to the Wiki along other
> tutorials for MKIV font usage, so as much information on the subject as possible is appreciated.

You’re right, \switchtotypeface accepts all parameters
from \switchtobodyfont as second argument because the
commands pass it’s arguments to \switchtobodyfont.

Wolfgang

* Re: Font selection problem in MKIV
@ 2011-05-22  7:25     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-05-22  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 21.05.2011 um 22:03 schrieb Otso Helenius:

> Sorry, I was in error while referring to the font sizes. The actual "limit" below
> which typescripted fonts stop working is 12pt and it is not tied to the \setupbodyfont
> setting. Any font output with 12pt or less will be formatted as Latin Modern. i.e.
>
> \switchtotypeface[Pompadour][ss,12pt] 01234567890
>
> shows as Latin Modern whereas
>
> \switchtotypeface[Pompadour][ss,12.1pt] 01234567890
>
> shows as Pompadour. 12pt is the default document font size so I can only guess there
> is some kind of a conflict. I'm using ConTeXt  ver: 2011.05.18 22:26 MKIV

Why do you insist on \switchtotypeface when \switchtobodyfont works?

Here is a example which works on my machine (requires commercial fonts:

\starttext
\input ward\par
\switchtobodyfont[calluna,8pt]
\input ward\par
\switchtobodyfont[cambria,10pt]
\input ward\par
\stoptext

Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: Font selection problem in MKIV
@ 2011-05-21 14:50 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-05-21 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 21.05.2011 um 16:38 schrieb Otso Helenius:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using ConTeXt minimals MKIV (latest snapshot) on Linux with loads of system ttf & otf fonts. Recently I stumbled upon a peculiar problem.
> The example below outputs three lines in three different fonts, the Computer/Latin(?) Modern, League Script and Pompadour, as expected.
>
> However, if I comment out \setupbodyfont line or set anything else as the body font than LeagueScript or Pompadour, all text in the
> document will be output solely with the default Modern font. Am I missing something here? Is there something wrong with the way I select
> and use multiple fonts in the same document?

Try

> \switchtotypeface[LeagueScript][12pt]

\switchtobodyfont[LeageScript]

and

> \switchtotypeface[Pompadour][12pt]

\switchtobodyfont[Pompadour]

You can also replace (but check the output because
the spec-settings give sometimes unexpected output)

> \starttypescript[Sans][LeagueScript]
> \definefontsynonym[Sans][name:leaguescriptthin]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript[Sans][Pompadour]
> \definefontsynonym[Sans][name:Pompadour]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \definetypeface[LeagueScript][ss][Sans][LeagueScript]
> \definetypeface[Pompadour][ss][Sans][Pompadour]

with

@ 2011-05-21 14:38 Otso Helenius
From: Otso Helenius @ 2011-05-21 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[...]