* hyphenation within columnsets with background
@ 2005-04-06 10:21 GEERT
From: GEERT @ 2005-04-06 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am preparing a rather large text, completely set in 3 columns, which
has lots of text with grey backgrounds.

During the preparation of this text, some questions came up :

1 - At first I put a grey background to my texts defining the
following macros (they are used within columnsets):

%start setting the text with a light grey background
\def\startlightgreybox{\setupframedtexts[frame=off,
					background=color,
					backgroundcolor=lightgrey,
					width=broad]
		  \startframedtext
		  {\bf Some frame title}}

%stop setting the text with a light grey background
\def\stoplightgreybox{\stopframedtext}

After a while, and to see what difference there was between both, I
redefined both macros as :

=
%start setting the text with a light grey background
\def\startlightgreybox{\setupbackground[background=color,
backgroundcolor=lightgrey]
		  \startbackground
		  {\bf Some frame title}}

%stop setting the text with a light grey background
\def\stoplightgreybox{\stopbackground}
==

And to my surprise, I saw, that hyphenation works clearly better when
my backgrounds are defined with the second set of macros, which is of
course good news, especially when using 3 columns, but : is there an
explanation for this behaviour ?

2 - Another problem I have with those backgrounds is the following :
they seem to work well when the text spreads over several
columns/pages, as long as I don't force a 'next column' in the text.
The following piece of context causes a 'TeX capacity exceeded' error:

\setupcolors[state=start]
\definecolumnset[driekol][n=3]
\setupbackground[background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
\starttext
\startcolumnset[driekol]
\startbackground
this is the text I would like to have with a grey background
\column
and with a possibility to split columns ``manually'' when necessary
\stopbackground
\stopcolumnset
\stoptext

In the rare cases where I want to force a jump to the next column, I
replace the \column command with:

\stopbackground
\column
\startbackground

Is this the only way to force column jumps when using backgrounds ?

Thanks,

Geert

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-04-06 10:21 UTC | newest]