* \showmathcharacters doesn't work (MacTex 2009)
@ 2010-05-13 23:15 Riobard
From: Riobard @ 2010-05-13 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to produce a list of math characters for reference. Followed the wiki page it's supposed to be a simple call to \showcharacters. But the following tex file

\starttext
\showmathcharacters
\stoptext

produces an empty table. \showcharacters doesn't work either. Any idea why?

* Re: \showmathcharacters doesn't work (MacTex 2009)
@ 2010-05-14  4:43 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2010-05-14  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Riobard,

Since math is done differently in mkiv than in mkii, indeed \showmathcharacters does not work in mkiv.
However one can get all the math characters in mkiv in a big list doing the following:

%%%% begin showmath.tex
\doifmode{mkiv}{\usemodule[fnt-25]}
\starttext
\doifmodeelse{mkiv}{\showmathfontcharacters}{\showmathcharacters}
\stoptext
%%%% end showmath.tex

Then, if using mkiv, in the resulting PDF file you can see all characters used in mathmode.

Best regards: OK

On 14 mai 2010, at 01:15, Riobard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to produce a list of math characters for reference. Followed the wiki page it's supposed to be a simple call to \showcharacters. But the following tex file
>
> \starttext
> \showmathcharacters
> \stoptext
>

> produces an empty table. \showcharacters doesn't work either. Any idea why?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Otared Kavian
Département de Mathématiques
Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin
Bâtiment Fermat
45 aveue des Etats Unis
78035 Versailles cedex

Téléphone: +33 1 39 25 46 42
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 44
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 46

e-mail: Otared.Kavian@math.uvsq.fr

* Re: \showmathcharacters doesn't work (MacTex 2009)
@ 2010-05-14  9:25   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-14  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-5-2010 6:43, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Riobard,
>
> Since math is done differently in mkiv than in mkii, indeed \showmathcharacters does not work in mkiv.
> However one can get all the math characters in mkiv in a big list doing the following:
>
> %%%% begin showmath.tex
> \doifmode{mkiv}{\usemodule[fnt-25]}
> \starttext
> \doifmodeelse{mkiv}{\showmathfontcharacters}{\showmathcharacters}
> \stoptext
> %%%% end showmath.tex
>
> Then, if using mkiv, in the resulting PDF file you can see all characters used in mathmode.

when i have time all these show commands will move to modules (maybe a
bit of a cleanup too) .. many of them are just for tracing when we work
on luatex

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-05-16  2:21   ` Riobard
From: Riobard @ 2010-05-16  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Otared,

Actually I'm using MKII (ConTeXt + XeTeX). MacTex 2009 (based on Tex
Live 2009) does not produce correct result. I installed ConTeXt
minimals and it worked (again, with XeTeX, so MKII I assume?).

- Riobard

@ 2010-05-16  7:26     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-05-16  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 04:21, Riobard wrote:
> Hi Otared,
>
> Actually I'm using MKII (ConTeXt + XeTeX). MacTex 2009 (based on Tex
> Live 2009) does not produce correct result. I installed ConTeXt
> minimals and it worked (again, with XeTeX, so MKII I assume?).

I can confirm that it's broken in MacTeX 2009, but since it works in
current version it might be better to concentrate on TeX Live 2010 at
the moment and make sure that as few bugs as possible are left in that
one (including testing this particular command).

ConTeXt has not been integrated into TL tree yet (I didn't really
check, but I didn't hear about that yet), however this might happen
soon.

Mojca

* Re: \showmathcharacters doesn't work (MacTex 2009)
@ 2010-05-16  7:48       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-05-16  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> ConTeXt has not been integrated into TL tree yet (I didn't really
> check, but I didn't hear about that yet), however this might happen
> soon.

I am waiting until the next (bugfix) current before I do that.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: \showmathcharacters doesn't work (MacTex 2009)
@ 2010-05-16  8:27         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-05-16  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> ConTeXt has not been integrated into TL tree yet (I didn't really
>> check, but I didn't hear about that yet), however this might happen
>> soon.
>
> I am waiting until the next (bugfix) current before I do that.

Sure, that makes perfect sense. It's pointless to hurry to much. There
are quite some recent bug reports on the list.

The latest luatex binaries are not in TL yet anyway.

Thanks,
    Mojca

* Re: \showmathcharacters doesn't work (MacTex 2009)
@ 2010-05-16 10:25       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-16 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16-5-2010 9:26, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 04:21, Riobard wrote:
>> Hi Otared,
>>
>> Actually I'm using MKII (ConTeXt + XeTeX). MacTex 2009 (based on Tex
>> Live 2009) does not produce correct result. I installed ConTeXt
>> minimals and it worked (again, with XeTeX, so MKII I assume?).
>
> I can confirm that it's broken in MacTeX 2009, but since it works in
> current version it might be better to concentrate on TeX Live 2010 at
> the moment and make sure that as few bugs as possible are left in that
> one (including testing this particular command).
>
> ConTeXt has not been integrated into TL tree yet (I didn't really
> check, but I didn't hear about that yet), however this might happen
> soon.

just a remark: showmathcharacters is a mkii command and for luatex (i.e.
mkiv) there are other commands; as i never run xetex (apart from
generating formats) i haven't tested all those show-commands but it is
unlikely that something will change as mkii primarily targets at the 8
bit engines and as such is frozen

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-05-16 11:04         ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2010-05-16 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 mai 2010, at 12:25, Hans Hagen wrote:

> just a remark: showmathcharacters is a mkii command and for luatex (i.e. mkiv) there are other commands; as i never run xetex (apart from generating formats) i haven't tested all those show-commands but it is unlikely that something will change as mkii primarily targets at the 8 bit engines and as such is frozen
>
> Hans

Hi Hans,

I can confirm that \showmathcharacters works fine when running ConTeXt mkii + XeTeX, at least through the minimals.
Regarding mkiv, I guess we can wait until all maths environment is stabilized.

Best regards: OK