* How to use columns inside another column?
@ 2007-01-15  3:28 Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-01-15  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody

I used

---------------------------

\definecolumnset[example][n=2]
\definecolumnset[innerexample][n=2]

\starttext

\startcolumnset[example]
  \dorecurse{15}{\input knuth\par}
  \startcolumnset[innerexample]
    \input knuth\par
  \stopcolumnset
  \dorecurse{15}{\input knuth\par}
\stopcolumnset

\stoptext
---------------------------

but nothing happened, can I use columns inside another column?

--
Sincerely yours,
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

* Re: How to use columns inside another column?
@ 2007-01-16  7:52 ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-01-16  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anybody give me a hand now? There are too many source files in ConTeXt
and I don't even know which file will give me a hint.

I don't want to hasten, but I really hope somebody could told me which file
I sould read or which way should go, or even it is impossible by now. Any
information will do.

Thanks

@ 2007-01-16  9:08   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-01-16  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zhichu Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anybody give me a hand now? There are too many source files in ConTeXt
> and I don't even know which file will give me a hint.
>
> I don't want to hasten, but I really hope somebody could told me which file
> I sould read or which way should go, or even it is impossible by now. Any
> information will do.

I don't believe you can do columnsets inside columnsets.

Best, Taco

* Re: How to use columns inside another column?
@ 2007-01-16  9:23   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-01-16  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Zhichu Chen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anybody give me a hand now? There are too many source files in ConTeXt
> and I don't even know which file will give me a hint.
>
> I don't want to hasten, but I really hope somebody could told me which file
> I sould read or which way should go, or even it is impossible by now. Any
> information will do.

Have you read the columnset documentation?
http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/columns.pdf

There are examples where the visual affect is the same as nested
columns. I have not read the details of how they are implemented.

HTH,
Aditya

> On 1/15/07, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everybody
> >
> > I used
> >
> > ---------------------------
> >
> > \definecolumnset[example][n=2]
> > \definecolumnset[innerexample][n=2]
> >
> > \starttext
> >
> > \startcolumnset[example]
> >   \dorecurse{15}{\input knuth\par}
> >   \startcolumnset[innerexample]
> >     \input knuth\par
> >   \stopcolumnset
> >   \dorecurse{15}{\input knuth\par}
> > \stopcolumnset
> >
> > \stoptext
> > ---------------------------
> >
> > but nothing happened, can I use columns inside another column?
> >
> > --
> > Sincerely yours,
> > Chen
> >
> >           Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
> >          No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
> >              tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
> >                                                | www.sinap.ac.cn

Aditya Mahajan | EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam | Ph: 734.262.4008

* Re: How to use columns inside another column?
@ 2007-01-16 10:09     ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-01-16 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Mr. Mahajan

I've read the article, but one can only "span" some texts over two or more
columns rather than split a column into two. I've tried double the column
numbers and span the other text over two columns. But of course it failed
for I want the small inner column to be balanced.

I'm now reading the "page-mul.tex." It is a long and confusing file---I'm
wondering how Hans and other guys wrote such long files that hardly had a
bug---but I really hope I can get some tricks from it.

@ 2007-01-16 11:30     ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-01-16 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Mr. Hoekwater

If the texts are short, say they won't go to the next column, they could be
stored into a \vbox whose \hsize is half of the width of current column
(maybe less) and \vsplit it into two equally high ones.

But when it's long enough, I think I need to know the rest room for the
current column. Is there any primitives just behavior like \pagegoal?

Best regards

@ 2007-01-16 11:43       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-16 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zhichu Chen wrote:
> Thanks, Mr. Hoekwater
>
> If the texts are short, say they won't go to the next column, they
> could be
> stored into a \vbox whose \hsize is half of the width of current column
> (maybe less) and \vsplit it into two equally high ones.
>
> But when it's long enough, I think I need to know the rest room for the
> current column. Is there any primitives just behavior like \pagegoal?

for those willing to experiment ... m-streams (and page-str) implement
page streams and to some extend one can make columned subpages and feed
them back into the main vertical list

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-01-16 12:09         ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-01-16 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you very much, Mr. Hagen, and all the other gentlemen that helped me
or were willing to help.

For there is no easy ways available, I think I should read these two files
thoroughly. I hope I can master ConTeXt like you guys so that I could help
others who have weird requests like me one day.

Best regards to you

@ 2007-01-26  1:09         ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-01-26  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Hans

I've been reading page-str and m-streams these days, but I'm so unfamiliar
with ConTeXt's output routine. So one thing leads to another, I have to read
more files to look for the definitions of some low-level macros used in
these files. And I get confused.

Maybe this kind of extension is too hard for me now. Could you give me an
example (as small as possible) to make subpages and combine them onto one
page?

By the way, the m-streams module seems not working pretty well with columns.
I think maybe more setups should be put into "streamlayer:block:settings"
but I really don't know what to do.

Thanks

@ 2007-01-31  5:33           ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-01-31  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)