* Traditional Chinese Typesetting (almost complete)
@ 2007-04-27  9:04 Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-04-27  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, everybody

Based on the core codes of ConTeXt and all helps from you guys, I've almost
finished a module that can typeset traditional Chinese books. I put an
example on http://zhichu.chen.googlepages.com/chinesevertical

I also made a first five chapters of a famous novel---Stone Legend---which
locates at:
http://zhichu.chen.googlepages.com/SL.pdf

I hope somebody who is interested in Chinese could help me to release my
module.

--
Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

* Re: Traditional Chinese Typesetting (almost complete)
@ 2007-04-27  9:16 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-04-27  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I hope somebody who is interested in Chinese could help me to release my
> module.
My 2 cents
http://www.logosrl.it/context/modules/2007-04-17/singles/font-chi_ebook.pdf

luigi

* Re: Traditional Chinese Typesetting (almost complete)
@ 2007-04-27 13:02   ` Zhichu Chen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-04-27 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi luigi

Actually, my module should not be called as "module," it's just an extension
to Hans' Chinese module. My module only defined some macros to handle some
strange needs of Chinese traditional book style. Hans' "\startvertical . . .
\stopvertical" pair couldn't typeset that style very well, so I
\setupunicodefont[chinese] to change its command option and define my own
commands to handle chinese glyphs to avoid conflictions.

I really hope Hans could add my module as a third part module in case some
Chinese guys could typeset nice traditional Chinese books.

Before that, I will cleasing some rubbish---actually, a lot---of my module.
What else should I do?

@ 2007-04-27 15:10     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-04-27 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Zhichu Chen wrote:

> Hi luigi
>
> Actually, my module should not be called as "module," it's just an extension
> to Hans' Chinese module. My module only defined some macros to handle some
> strange needs of Chinese traditional book style. Hans' "\startvertical . . .
> \stopvertical" pair couldn't typeset that style very well, so I
> \setupunicodefont[chinese] to change its command option and define my own
> commands to handle chinese glyphs to avoid conflictions.

A module need not be big. Even small code, which is not trivial and
will be frequently used should be released as a module. See
http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/m-narrowtt.tex
Surely, you module will have more lines of code :)

> I really hope Hans could add my module as a third part module in case some
> Chinese guys could typeset nice traditional Chinese books.

I can not understand a word of chinese, but the output looks
beautiful. After you have cleaned up the code, release it on
modules.contextgarden.net and add a page on the wiki about chinese (if
there is one), so that the new users can find the module more easily.

> Before that, I will cleasing some rubbish---actually, a lot---of my module.
> What else should I do?

Add some documentation, both for the user interface and explaining
your code. The documentation can be written as comments starting with
%D and can be processed using texexec --module filename.

Aditya

> On 4/27/07, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I hope somebody who is interested in Chinese could help me to release my
>> > module.
>> My 2 cents
>>
>> http://www.logosrl.it/context/modules/2007-04-17/singles/font-chi_ebook.pdf
>>

>> luigi

Aditya Mahajan | EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam | Ph: 734.262.4008

* Re: Traditional Chinese Typesetting (almost complete)
@ 2007-04-27 15:23     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-04-27 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:02:10 +0800
"Zhichu Chen" <zhichu.chen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi luigi
>
> Actually, my module should not be called as "module," it's just an extension
> to Hans' Chinese module. My module only defined some macros to handle some
> strange needs of Chinese traditional book style. Hans' "\startvertical . . .
> \stopvertical" pair couldn't typeset that style very well, so I
> \setupunicodefont[chinese] to change its command option and define my own
> commands to handle chinese glyphs to avoid conflictions.
>
> I really hope Hans could add my module as a third part module in case some
> Chinese guys could typeset nice traditional Chinese books.
>
> Before that, I will cleasing some rubbish---actually, a lot---of my module.
> What else should I do?

Hi Chen,

can you put your module on your webspace with a few comments about what
is not perfect, can be done better ...

I don't know if I have time than to look into the code but it would be
nice to see what happende since December and it is also a box lesson
for users.

Wolfgang

* Re: Traditional Chinese Typesetting (almost complete)
@ 2007-04-27 15:47     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-04-27 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Before that, I will cleasing some rubbish---actually, a lot---of my module.
> What else should I do?
If possible, also put some indications about fonts you used (better if free)
(eg.
http://www.logosrl.it/context/modules/chinese-ttf.tgz
)

--
luigi

* Re: Traditional Chinese Typesetting (almost complete)
@ 2007-04-27 18:07       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-04-27 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:47:35 +0200
"luigi scarso" <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Before that, I will cleasing some rubbish---actually, a lot---of my module.
> > What else should I do?
> If possible, also put some indications about fonts you used (better if free)
> (eg.
> http://www.logosrl.it/context/modules/chinese-ttf.tgz
> )
>
> --
> luigi

Hi Luigi,

he used the Truetype fonts from cwTeX, a chinese TeX version. You can
download the fonts from [1].

There is also a nice manual on the cwTeX Homepage [2], my problem is I
cannot understand anything.

Can you say a little bit about you chinese font package before I have
to download the zip file.

[1] http://cle.linux.org.tw/fonts/cwttf/
[2] http://homepage.ntu.edu.tw/~ntut019/cwtex/cwtex.html

Wolfgang

* Re: Traditional Chinese Typesetting (almost complete)
@ 2007-04-27 18:18         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-04-27 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There is also a nice manual on the cwTeX Homepage [2], my problem is I
> cannot understand anything.
yes, chines is ..complex.

> Can you say a little bit about you chinese font package before I have
> to download the zip file.
Sorry i'm a bit in a hurry.
Please  search for "Lutz" in context mailing list
(eg  gmane.comp.tex.context at http://www.gmane.com)

luigi

* Re: Traditional Chinese Typesetting (almost complete)
@ 2007-04-27 23:17           ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-04-27 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody,

Sorry for replying so late. I'm in a different time zone. I just get up and
after sending this mail, I'll take about 2 hours to office.

Yes, I use cwTeX fonts which are claimed under GPL. These fonts are first
made in Type 1 format and then converted to truetype format. Maybe it's too
big, so when embedding ttf fonts into pdf, the process is very very slow.
So, I download both ttf and type1 format fonts, and use Hans'
ttf2uni.rbscript on the ttf files and get the tfm, enc, afm and map
files, and I
changed the map files to use type1 files. Then it's much more faster. I
think I could upload all the files except type1 fonts to my web site (the
fonts are too big, google page seems only have 100MB at most).

Hi Wolfgang, after I've disappeared for a century, I rewrite the module
because I could not use Hans' module to handle inter-text postils. I've
learned a lot from you.

@ 2007-04-28  6:24             ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-04-28  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> changed the map files to use type1 files. Then it's much more faster. I
> think I could upload all the files except type1 fonts to my web site (the
> fonts are too big, google page seems only have 100MB at most).

If you tell me a location of the fonts on the web (and send me your
additional files), we could put it on contextgarden.

Patrick

* Re: Traditional Chinese Typesetting (almost complete)
@ 2007-04-28 10:57               ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-04-28 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Patrick

I've packed the fonts (although they can be downloaded somewhere, but it's
too big so I've deleted many unnecessary files) and support files, it's
about 53.6M. I have tried to upload to my google page, but it failed for
like 1000 times. I'll see if I can find an FTP to save it temporary.

@ 2007-05-03 12:58               ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-05-03 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)