* Draw chess board
@ 2007-05-24 11:59 Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-05-24 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I love chess games, especially one kind of them which is generally called
Go.

I know there is some file can store each details in one game:
http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/

AFAIK, there is no module available to draw chess in ConTeXt now. I wanna do
this by using MetaPost and fieldstack. But I don't know how to tell metapost
the details of the sgf file. Can anyone give me a suggestion?

BTW, I don't like the name. It's invented by acient Chinese and it's called
Weiqi. I think we can call it Siege Chess in English.

--
Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

* Re: Draw chess board
@ 2007-05-24 14:01 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-05-24 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/5/24, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> I love chess games, especially one kind of them which is generally called
> Go.
>
> I know there is some file can store each details in one game:
> http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/
>
> AFAIK, there is no module available to draw chess in ConTeXt now. I wanna do
> this by using MetaPost and fieldstack. But I don't know how to tell metapost
> the details of the sgf file. Can anyone give me a suggestion?
>
> BTW, I don't like the name. It's invented by acient Chinese and it's called
> Weiqi. I think we can call it Siege Chess in English.
>

> --
> Best Regards
> Chen

Hi Chen,

if you mean Go take a look at the following page:

http://match.stanford.edu/bump/go.html

There are also two packages on CTAN for LaTeX:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/bytopic.html#gamesgo

Wolfgang

* Re: Draw chess board
@ 2007-05-24 15:40   ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-05-24 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Wolfgang

The first link is very useful. I will took its idea. I really want to use
metapost's scantoken to read sgf file directly, so it can easily be a
cross-platform solution.

I'm not interested in the LaTeX package. It's against my original intention
because I want to draw the board by importing the sgf file rather than by
myself. But now I think manually input could be an option.

On 5/24/07, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2007/5/24, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com>:
> > Hi
> >
> > I love chess games, especially one kind of them which is generally
> called
> > Go.
> >
> > I know there is some file can store each details in one game:
> > http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/
> >
> > AFAIK, there is no module available to draw chess in ConTeXt now. I
> wanna do
> > this by using MetaPost and fieldstack. But I don't know how to tell
> metapost
> > the details of the sgf file. Can anyone give me a suggestion?
> >
> > BTW, I don't like the name. It's invented by acient Chinese and it's
> called
> > Weiqi. I think we can call it Siege Chess in English.
> >

> > --
> > Best Regards
> > Chen
>
> Hi Chen,
>
> if you mean Go take a look at the following page:
>
> http://match.stanford.edu/bump/go.html
>
> There are also two packages on CTAN for LaTeX:
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/bytopic.html#gamesgo
>
> Wolfgang

Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

* Re: Draw chess board
@ 2007-05-24 19:07     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-05-24 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/24/07, Zhichu Chen wrote:
> Thanks Wolfgang
>
> The first link is very useful. I will took its idea. I really want to use
> metapost's scantoken to read sgf file directly, so it can easily be a
> cross-platform solution.

You can use either TeX or metapost to parse sgf file. But you can
forget about TeX, I suppose. Metapost is an option if you love
challenges, but it's not the only possibility if you're looking for
cross-platform solutions.

In http://match.stanford.edu/bump/sgf2dg-4.026.tar.gz you have
sgf2mpost.c with 1000 lines of pure C code which parses the file and
generates metapost output.

If I was in your place, I would write a ruby (or lua ;) parser (the
file above can help you, but you can probably parse the input in a
much more clever & efficient way with ruby) + metapost code generator.

Then you write a ConTeXt module with

\startSGFscript{name} or \startSGFfile or \startSGFgame or \startGOgame
.... the very special format of your game ...
\stopSGFscript

You write the content into a file (you can also prepare external files
and tell ConTeXt which one is the source file), call "texmfstart
your-great-ruby-script file.sgf", which generates metapost output, and
then you include that one in the ConTeXt document.

I'm really not sure if parsing SGF files with metapost can bring you
anything ... ruby scripts are fully portable, at least in ConTeXt.

Mojca

> On 5/24/07, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > 2007/5/24, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com>:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I love chess games, especially one kind of them which is generally
> called
> > > Go.
> > >
> > > I know there is some file can store each details in one game:
> > > http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/
> > >
> > > AFAIK, there is no module available to draw chess in ConTeXt now. I
> wanna do
> > > this by using MetaPost and fieldstack. But I don't know how to tell
> metapost
> > > the details of the sgf file. Can anyone give me a suggestion?
> > >
> > > BTW, I don't like the name. It's invented by acient Chinese and it's
> called
> > > Weiqi. I think we can call it Siege Chess in English.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Best Regards
> > > Chen
> >
> > Hi Chen,
> >
> > if you mean Go take a look at the following page:
> >
> > http://match.stanford.edu/bump/go.html
> >
> > There are also two packages on CTAN for LaTeX:
> >

> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/bytopic.html#gamesgo
> >
> > Wolfgang

> > webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://tex.aanhet.net
> > archive  :
> https://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/contextrev/
> > wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

> --
> Best Regards
> Chen
>
>           Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
>          No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
>              tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
> www.sinap.ac.cn

* Re: Draw chess board
@ 2007-05-25  2:49       ` Zhichu Chen
       [not found]         ` <6faad9f00705260558r9e110bbk6dba90b490b4acbd@mail.gmail.com>
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-05-25  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca

I original intention is:

First, check the sgf file to decide how many rows and lines should be used.
For some instance, there is no need to draw the full 19x19 board, like
conversion steps demostration---best choices around the corner of the board.

Second, I'd like to take advantage of PDF Javascript to show every step by
clicking on some area. \fieldstack seems to be a good choice. But if I use
some script like sgf2mpost, I don't know how to if there is an easy way to
determine how many steps does the sgf include.

If I solved the sgf problem, I think I can input a game manually by using
sgf syntax

On 5/25/07, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/24/07, Zhichu Chen wrote:
> > Thanks Wolfgang
> >
> > The first link is very useful. I will took its idea. I really want to
> use
> > metapost's scantoken to read sgf file directly, so it can easily be a
> > cross-platform solution.
>
> You can use either TeX or metapost to parse sgf file. But you can
> forget about TeX, I suppose. Metapost is an option if you love
> challenges, but it's not the only possibility if you're looking for
> cross-platform solutions.
>
> In http://match.stanford.edu/bump/sgf2dg-4.026.tar.gz you have
> sgf2mpost.c with 1000 lines of pure C code which parses the file and
> generates metapost output.
>
> If I was in your place, I would write a ruby (or lua ;) parser (the
> file above can help you, but you can probably parse the input in a
> much more clever & efficient way with ruby) + metapost code generator.
>
> Then you write a ConTeXt module with
>
> \startSGFscript{name} or \startSGFfile or \startSGFgame or \startGOgame
> .... the very special format of your game ...
> \stopSGFscript
>
> You write the content into a file (you can also prepare external files
> and tell ConTeXt which one is the source file), call "texmfstart
> your-great-ruby-script file.sgf", which generates metapost output, and
> then you include that one in the ConTeXt document.
>
> I'm really not sure if parsing SGF files with metapost can bring you
> anything ... ruby scripts are fully portable, at least in ConTeXt.
>
> Mojca
>

> > On 5/24/07, Wolfgang Schuster
> > <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > called

> > wanna do
> > metapost

> > called

> > > Hi Chen,
> > >
> > > if you mean Go take a look at the following page:
> > >
> > > http://match.stanford.edu/bump/go.html
> > >
> > > There are also two packages on CTAN for LaTeX:
> > >

> > http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/bytopic.html#gamesgo
> > >
> > > Wolfgang

> > > webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://tex.aanhet.net
> > > archive  :
> > https://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/contextrev/
> > > wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

> > --
> > Best Regards
> > Chen
> >
> >           Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
> >          No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
> >              tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
> > www.sinap.ac.cn

Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

* Fwd:  Draw chess board
       [not found]           ` <769ba7780706051751t1b17756es2dd9000d8ba56397@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-06-06  1:00             ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-06-06  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've tried to write a test file which can only handle ;B[??], ;W[??],
AB[??], AW[??] now, and I haven't added the interaction part. But it is a
good start.

Any suggestions?

On 5/26/07, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

> > --
> > Best Regards
> > Chen
> >
> >           Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
> >          No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
> >              tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
> > www.sinap.ac.cn

Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com

[-- Attachment #2: test.tex --]

* Re: Draw chess board
       [not found]           ` <769ba7780706051751t1b17756es2dd9000d8ba56397@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-06-10  4:49             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-06-10  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/6/07, Zhichu Chen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've tried to write a test file which can only handle ;B[??], ;W[??],
> AB[??], AW[??] now, and I haven't added the interaction part. But it is a
> good start.
>
> Any suggestions?

Wow - that's really, really impressive! You indeed started parsing the
strings in plain TeX!

I've changed your source slightly, to give you an idea of yet another
approach: using TikZ. It's main advantage over metapost might be:
- you can draw more fancy stones (see the example - that could be made
configurable of course), although teoretically the same could be
achived with slightly improved smooth shading mechanism in mptopdf
macros
- might be easier to backport to (La)TeX
- I can imagine your module to be a new, really nice TikZ
package/module (that could be used in other flavours of TeX) + some
fancy ConTeXt additions (user interface, javascript, ...).

The main difference is that you need to store all the variables in
TeX, not in metapost, so that part should be rewritten as well (which
I didn't do).

But simply forget about my stupid comments about (La)TeX for and do it
your way now.

Mojca

(I have some other comments, but it's too early to speak about them,
since the module is not ready/complete yet.)

On 5/24/07, Zhichu Chen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I love chess games, especially one kind of them which is generally called
> Go.
>
> I know there is some file can store each details in one game:
> http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/
>
> AFAIK, there is no module available to draw chess in ConTeXt now. I wanna do
> this by using MetaPost and fieldstack. But I don't know how to tell metapost
> the details of the sgf file. Can anyone give me a suggestion?
>
> BTW, I don't like the name. It's invented by acient Chinese and it's called
> Weiqi. I think we can call it Siege Chess in English.
>

> --
> Best Regards
> Chen

[-- Attachment #2: test.tex --]

* Re: Draw chess board
@ 2007-06-11  2:10               ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-06-11  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

The stones are very very nice now, thank you for your hints.

Since I haven't used TikZ before, I have no idea how to handle these events.
I'll learn it later and rewrite my module to be more professional :)

All I'm thinking now is how to make each step a single symbol so that I
could use \fieldstack to demonstrate the game.

By the way, I modified my module to do some fieldstack thing, but it gets a
weird error. I have no idea what's the error about, it's fine when I'm using
MPdrawing environment but it can't output anything when I switch to buffer
and use \processMPbuffer.

On 6/10/07, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/6/07, Zhichu Chen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I've tried to write a test file which can only handle ;B[??], ;W[??],
> > AB[??], AW[??] now, and I haven't added the interaction part. But it is
> > good start.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Wow - that's really, really impressive! You indeed started parsing the
> strings in plain TeX!
>
> I've changed your source slightly, to give you an idea of yet another
> approach: using TikZ. It's main advantage over metapost might be:
> - you can draw more fancy stones (see the example - that could be made
> configurable of course), although teoretically the same could be
> achived with slightly improved smooth shading mechanism in mptopdf
> macros
> - might be easier to backport to (La)TeX
> - I can imagine your module to be a new, really nice TikZ
> package/module (that could be used in other flavours of TeX) + some
> fancy ConTeXt additions (user interface, javascript, ...).
>
> The main difference is that you need to store all the variables in
> TeX, not in metapost, so that part should be rewritten as well (which
> I didn't do).
>
> But simply forget about my stupid comments about (La)TeX for and do it
> your way now.
>
> Mojca
>
> (I have some other comments, but it's too early to speak about them,
> since the module is not ready/complete yet.)
>

> On 5/24/07, Zhichu Chen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I love chess games, especially one kind of them which is generally
> called
> > Go.
> >
> > I know there is some file can store each details in one game:
> > http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/
> >
> > AFAIK, there is no module available to draw chess in ConTeXt now. I
> wanna do
> > this by using MetaPost and fieldstack. But I don't know how to tell
> metapost
> > the details of the sgf file. Can anyone give me a suggestion?
> >
> > BTW, I don't like the name. It's invented by acient Chinese and it's
> called
> > Weiqi. I think we can call it Siege Chess in English.
> >

> > --
> > Best Regards
> > Chen

Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

[-- Attachment #2: sgfstack.tex --]

* Re: Draw chess board
@ 2007-06-11 13:41                 ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-06-11 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi guys

I've modified my module again, then you can click to demostrate a game. The
source file is attached and the resulting pdf file is pretty huge so I just
upload to my google page (I think there's a bandwidth limitation so I use
winrar to compress it):
http://zhichu.chen.googlepages.com/sgfstack.rar

On 6/11/07, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > called
> > > Weiqi. I think we can call it Siege Chess in English.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Best Regards
> > > Chen

> > ___________________________________________________________________________________
> >

> --
> Best Regards
> Chen
>
>           Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
>          No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
>              tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
>                                                | www.sinap.ac.cn

Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com

[-- Attachment #2: sgfstack.tex --]

* Re: Draw chess board
@ 2007-06-11 14:12                   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-06-11 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/6/11, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com>:
> Hi guys
>
> I've modified my module again, then you can click to demostrate a game. The
> source file is attached and the resulting pdf file is pretty huge so I just
> upload to my google page (I think there's a bandwidth limitation so I use
> winrar to compress it):
> http://zhichu.chen.googlepages.com/sgfstack.rar

Hi Chen,

nice module. One suggestion for your Todo list:

size option for the board (goban):
- small (9 x 9)
- medium (13 x 13)
- big (19 x 19), default size