* Placing meaningful footnotes
@ 2007-12-17 16:16 Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-12-17 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody,

Right now I'm writing an article and in the title's block I wanna thank
somebody and in the authors' block I wanna display the email addresses. And
I want them done with footnotes with "set 2" conversion. When I use
\definenote[thanks][conversion=set 2]
\definenote[email]
  [conversion=set 2,
   textstyle=type]
The footnotes are shown with two areas, one for the \thanks and another for
the \email, and they all started with "*" symbol, I mean there're two
footnotes noted by star-symbol. I know I can just use
\setupfootnotes[conversion=set 2] and do all my job by only using \footnote
macro, but it's just of curiosity, can I use those meaningful macros to do
continuously numbered footnotes and displayed only one area at the bottom of
the page.

--
Best Regards
Chen

         Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
        No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
            tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                              | www.sinap.ac.cn

* Re: Placing meaningful footnotes
@ 2007-12-18  9:59 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-18  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/12/17, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com>:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Right now I'm writing an article and in the title's block I wanna thank
> somebody and in the authors' block I wanna display the email addresses. And
> I want them done with footnotes with "set 2" conversion. When I use
> \definenote[thanks][conversion=set 2]
> \definenote[email]
>   [conversion=set 2,
>    textstyle=type]
> The footnotes are shown with two areas, one for the \thanks and another for
> the \email, and they all started with "*" symbol, I mean there're two
> footnotes noted by star-symbol. I know I can just use
> \setupfootnotes[conversion=set 2] and do all my job by only using \footnote
> macro, but it's just of curiosity, can I use those meaningful macros to do
> continuously numbered footnotes and displayed only one area at the bottom of
> the page.

Hi Chen,

I took a quick look at the source and it seems this is not possible,
but you define
email as macro and call thank in the expansion text.

\def\email#1{\thanks{\type{#1}}} or better
\def\email#1{\thanks{\hyphenatedurl{#1}}} % breaks at the line end

Wolfgang

* Re: Placing meaningful footnotes
@ 2007-12-18 14:45   ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-12-18 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Wolfgang,

I looked at the source a little bit but all macros are defined with
insertion and I don't know how to make them share a same counter. Maybe we
need a new \definerelatednote macro.

Anyway, your suggestion makes sense.

@ 2007-12-19 11:54     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-19 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/12/18, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com>:
> Thanks Wolfgang,
>
> I looked at the source a little bit but all macros are defined with
> insertion and I don't know how to make them share a same counter. Maybe we
> need a new \definerelatednote macro.
>
> Anyway, your suggestion makes sense.

You could try to look into the definition and description macros,
Aditya provided
souch a feature for enumerations to use the same number for different
environments,
the float mechanism has something similliar to use one number for
different floats.

You try to start with these moduls and adapt it to the note machanism.

Wolfgang

* Re: Placing meaningful footnotes
@ 2007-12-19 14:00       ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-12-19 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 19, 2007 7:54 PM, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> 2007/12/18, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com>:
> > Thanks Wolfgang,
> >
> > I looked at the source a little bit but all macros are defined with
> > insertion and I don't know how to make them share a same counter. Maybe
> we
> > need a new \definerelatednote macro.
> >
> > Anyway, your suggestion makes sense.
>
> You could try to look into the definition and description macros,
> Aditya provided
> souch a feature for enumerations to use the same number for different
> environments,
> the float mechanism has something similliar to use one number for
> different floats.
>
> You try to start with these moduls and adapt it to the note machanism.

Yes, I would love to do that. But I have some politics things to read. I
have to remember them in one month. So please forgive my laziness. After
then, I will have time to test luatex on Chinese and some other interesting
things like the Weiqi module or the footnote we are talking about.

@ 2007-12-19 14:06         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-19 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > You try to start with these moduls and adapt it to the note machanism.

> Yes, I would love to do that. But I have some politics things to read. I
> have to remember them in one month. So please forgive my laziness. After
> then, I will have time to test luatex on Chinese and some other interesting
> things like the Weiqi module or the footnote we are talking about.

I think you're also interested in the following link, there is module
for LaTeX and
plain TeX to write gezhu (intertextpostil) with XeTeX.

http://code.google.com/p/gezhu/

I have myself also no time to write any code for the second version of
the weiqi module.

Wolfgang

* Re: Placing meaningful footnotes
@ 2007-12-19 14:29           ` Zhichu Chen