* Math in MKIV - HOWTO (was: Lucida Fonts with MKIV)
@ 2010-02-22 23:02 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-02-22 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

These basic set of rules should also apply to fourier or any other
font that still needs better math support. I'm posting them on the
list for future reference (for when the next volunteer pops up).

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 14:50, Troy Henderson wrote:

> I have followed the first set of instructions at
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Lucida
> Is there an easy way to adapt the configuration file(s) for MKII to MKIV?
> If this is possible but just requires a tedious process, I'm willing
> to do this, but I have no clue of the steps needed.

So here are some basic instructions:

Step 1: check what's in the fonts
=====

The file lucida.map includes the following lines:

hlcda LucidaNewMath-Arrows-Demi <lbmad.pfb
hlcdim LucidaNewMath-DemiItalic <lbmdi.pfb
hlcdima LucidaNewMath-AltDemiItalic <lbmdo.pfb
hlcdm LucidaNewMath-Demibold <lbmd.pfb
hlcdy LucidaNewMath-Symbol-Demi <lbmsd.pfb
hlcra LucidaNewMath-Arrows <lbma.pfb
hlcrim LucidaNewMath-Italic <lbmi.pfb
hlcrima LucidaNewMath-AltItalic <lbmo.pfb
hlcrm LucidaNewMath-Roman <lbmr.pfb
hlcrv LucidaNewMath-Extension <lbme.pfb
hlcry LucidaNewMath-Symbol <lbms.pfb

After short inspection you may notice that some are just bold
variants, so you are basically left with only 6 files that you need to
take care of:

hlcrm LucidaNewMath-Roman <lbmr.pfb
hlcrim LucidaNewMath-Italic <lbmi.pfb
hlcrima LucidaNewMath-AltItalic <lbmo.pfb

hlcrv LucidaNewMath-Extension <lbme.pfb
hlcry LucidaNewMath-Symbol <lbms.pfb
hlcra LucidaNewMath-Arrows <lbma.pfb

You may want to visualize the content of those fonts by using:

\loadmapfile[lucida.map]
\starttext
\showfont[hlcrm]
\showfont[hlcrim]
\showfont[hlcrima]
\showfont[hlcrv]
\showfont[hlcry]
\showfont[hlcra]
\stoptext

Step 2: compare
=====

It might be interesting to know what's in LM (so that you know what
you need to modify):

\starttext
\showfont[rm-lmr10]
\showfont[lmmi10]
\showfont[lmex10]
\showfont[lmsy10]
\stoptext

as well as seing what's in ams fonts perhaps. Now all the info that
describes the content of these files is in math-tex.mkii (for MKII)
and math-vfu.lua (for MKIV):

mathematics.make_font ( "lmroman10-math", {
    { name = "lmroman10-regular.otf", features = "virtualmath", main = true },
    { name = "rm-lmr10.tfm", vector = "tex-mr-missing" } ,
    { name = "lmmi10.tfm", vector = "tex-mi", skewchar=0x7F },
    { name = "lmmi10.tfm", vector = "tex-it", skewchar=0x7F },
    { name = "lmsy10.tfm", vector = "tex-sy", skewchar=0x30,
parameters = true } ,
    { name = "lmex10.tfm", vector = "tex-ex", extension = true } ,
    { name = "msam10.tfm", vector = "tex-ma" },
    { name = "msbm10.tfm", vector = "tex-mb" },
 -- { name = "rm-lmbx10.tfm", vector = "tex-bf" } ,
    { name = "lmroman10-bold.otf", vector = "tex-bf" } ,
    { name = "lmmib10.tfm", vector = "tex-bi", skewchar=0x7F } ,
    { name = "lmsans10-regular.otf", vector = "tex-ss", optional=true },
    { name = "lmmono10-regular.otf", vector = "tex-tt", optional=true },
    { name = "eufm10.tfm", vector = "tex-fraktur", optional=true },
    { name = "eufb10.tfm", vector = "tex-fraktur-bold", optional=true },
} )

You may want to check any tfm font mentioned here as well as any
vector="..." mentioned.

fonts.enc.math["tex-mi"] = {
    [0x1D6E4] = 0x00, -- Gamma
    [0x1D6E5] = 0x01, -- Delta
    [0x1D6E9] = 0x02, -- Theta
    [0x1D6F3] = 0x02, -- varTheta (not present in TeX)
    [0x1D6EC] = 0x03, -- Lambda
    [0x1D6EF] = 0x04, -- Xi
    [0x1D6F1] = 0x05, -- Pi

There's a very precious source of information available for unicode
mappings for many fonts that might be worth considering:
     tex4ht/ht-fonts/unicode/

Step 3: make use of available glyph information
=====

3a)
You may use lucidabr.sty as a pretty reliable source of information to
extract the mapping between:
- glyph name (in LaTeX)
- font
- slot

3b)
In char-def.lua there are some mappings between context commands and
unicode points. If any mapping is missing, you need to add it anyway
(else you won't be able to use that particular command), for all other
commands you already have unicode point, so when you find "rightarrow"
or some other glyph in font, you may look it up in char-def.lua to
determine the unicode number.

You may want to use both the comprehensive TeX symbol list as well as
the Unicode Standard to help you out if there are some glyphs you
don't know.

Step 4: fix math-lbr
=====

Step 5: complete the vectors in math-vfu.lua
=====

I'm not completly sure about some aspects of bold math, but here are
at least some points to start with.

Step 6: test
=====

Translate ams test paper and the comprehensive LaTeX symbol list to
ConTeXt in order to test if all the characters work ok in all the math
fonts supported by ConTeXt :) :) :)

Mojca

* Re: Math in MKIV - HOWTO (was: Lucida Fonts with MKIV)
@ 2010-02-24  3:15 ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2010-02-24  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the guidance, I finally get my Lucida Math work.

After the \showfont step, I found that I didn't have the "tex-ma"
vector font, and the last two lines in math-vfu.lua should be changed
to:
    { name = "hlcra.tfm", vector = "tex-mb" },
    { name = "hlcrm.tfm", vector = "tex-mi" },
in my case.

By the way, there's a typo in fonts.enc.math["tex-mi"] in
math-vfu.lua, the comment "righttharpoonup" has an extra "t" and I
just wish it could be perfect.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:02 AM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> commands you already have unicode point, so when you find "rightarrow"
> or some other glyph in font, you may look it up in char-def.lua to
> determine the unicode number.
>
> You may want to use both the comprehensive TeX symbol list as well as
> the Unicode Standard to help you out if there are some glyphs you
> don't know.
>
> Step 4: fix math-lbr
> =====
>
> Step 5: complete the vectors in math-vfu.lua
> =====
>
> I'm not completly sure about some aspects of bold math, but here are
> at least some points to start with.
>
> Step 6: test
> =====
>
> Translate ams test paper and the comprehensive LaTeX symbol list to
> ConTeXt in order to test if all the characters work ok in all the math

Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

* Re: Math in MKIV - HOWTO
@ 2010-02-24  9:01   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-02-24  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24-2-2010 4:15, Zhichu Chen wrote:
> Thanks for the guidance, I finally get my Lucida Math work.
>
> After the \showfont step, I found that I didn't have the "tex-ma"
> vector font, and the last two lines in math-vfu.lua should be changed
> to:
>      { name = "hlcra.tfm", vector = "tex-mb" },
>      { name = "hlcrm.tfm", vector = "tex-mi" },
> in my case.

that's not okay either ... i was under the impression that the font was
repackaged in a way that matches tex default math encoding  but it looks
like there is some other encoding used ... what a mess ... it looks like
we need special lucida vectors then

> By the way, there's a typo in fonts.enc.math["tex-mi"] in
> math-vfu.lua, the comment "righttharpoonup" has an extra "t" and I
> just wish it could be perfect.

ok

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Math in MKIV - HOWTO
@ 2010-02-24 10:24     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-02-24 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24-2-2010 10:01, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 24-2-2010 4:15, Zhichu Chen wrote:
>> Thanks for the guidance, I finally get my Lucida Math work.
>>
>> After the \showfont step, I found that I didn't have the "tex-ma"
>> vector font, and the last two lines in math-vfu.lua should be changed
>> to:
>> { name = "hlcra.tfm", vector = "tex-mb" },
>> { name = "hlcrm.tfm", vector = "tex-mi" },
>> in my case.
>
> that's not okay either ... i was under the impression that the font was
> repackaged in a way that matches tex default math encoding but it looks
> like there is some other encoding used ... what a mess ... it looks like
> we need special lucida vectors then
>
>> By the way, there's a typo in fonts.enc.math["tex-mi"] in
>> math-vfu.lua, the comment "righttharpoonup" has an extra "t" and I
>> just wish it could be perfect.

i uploaded a beta with mkiv lbr vectors (quick and dirty conversion hackery)

\usemodule[fnt-25]

\starttext
     \setupbodyfont[lucida,12pt]
     \showmathfontcharacters
\stoptext

up to others to check and complete them

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Math in MKIV - HOWTO
@ 2010-02-24 11:55       ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2010-02-24 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 24-2-2010 10:01, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> i uploaded a beta with mkiv lbr vectors (quick and dirty conversion hackery)
>
> \usemodule[fnt-25]
>
> \starttext
>    \setupbodyfont[lucida,12pt]
>    \showmathfontcharacters
> \stoptext
>
> up to others to check and complete them

The double stroke A--Z from U+1D538 -- U+02124 in hlcra.tfm(lbma.pfb)
from 0x41--0x5a are missing, even though I added to the lbr-ma vector
:(

> Hans

>                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>              Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>     tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

* Re: Math in MKIV - HOWTO
@ 2010-02-24 12:24         ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]           ` <6faad9f01002240427l7da7a675r4ec6805f6f7455ba@mail.gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-02-24 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24-2-2010 12:55, Zhichu Chen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  wrote:
>> On 24-2-2010 10:01, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>> i uploaded a beta with mkiv lbr vectors (quick and dirty conversion hackery)
>>
>> \usemodule[fnt-25]
>>
>> \starttext
>>     \setupbodyfont[lucida,12pt]
>>     \showmathfontcharacters
>> \stoptext
>>
>> up to others to check and complete them
>
> The double stroke A--Z from U+1D538 -- U+02124 in hlcra.tfm(lbma.pfb)
> from 0x41--0x5a are missing, even though I added to the lbr-ma vector
> :(

you should coordinate this with mojca

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Math in MKIV - HOWTO
       [not found]           ` <6faad9f01002240427l7da7a675r4ec6805f6f7455ba@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-03-01 16:26             ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2010-03-01 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I got some time today and checked some symbols of hlcra.tfm
(LucidaNewMath-Arrows), and got this table:

fonts.enc.math["lucida-ma"] = {
    [0x025CB] = 0x00, -- circle
    [0x025CF] = 0x01, -- blackcircle
    [0x025A1] = 0x02, -- square
    [0x025A0] = 0x03, -- blacksquare
    [0x025B3] = 0x04, -- triangleup
    [0x025B2] = 0x05, -- blacktriangleup
    [0x025BD] = 0x06, -- triangledown
    [0x025BC] = 0x07, -- blacktriangledown
    [0x02B28] = 0x08, -- lozenge
    [0x02B27] = 0x09, -- blacklozenge
    [0x02B29] = 0x0A, -- blackdiamond
    [0x02571] = 0x0B, -- upright
    [0x02572] = 0x0C, -- downright
    [0x022E4] = 0x0D, -- squareimageofnoteq
    [0x022E5] = 0x0E, -- squareoriginalofnoteq
    [0x02A4F] = 0x0F, -- dblsquareunion
    [0x02A4E] = 0x10, -- dblsquareintersection
    [0x02A64] = 0x11, -- zdomainantirestriction
    [0x02A65] = 0x12, -- zrangeantirestriction
    [0x022EE] = 0x13, -- verticalellipsis
    [0x022EF] = 0x14, -- ellipsis
    [0x022F0] = 0x15, -- uprightellipsis
    [0x022F1] = 0x16, -- downrightellipsis
    [0x022D5] = 0x17, -- equalparallel

    [0x0225B] = 0x1A, -- stareq
    [0x00127] = 0x1B, -- hbar
    [0x022F6] = 0x1C, -- barelementof
    [0x02209] = 0x1D, -- notelementof
    [0x022FD] = 0x1E, -- barcontains
    [0x0220C] = 0x1F, -- notcontain
    [0x02204] = 0x20, -- nexists
    [0x02194] = 0x21, -- leftrightarrow
    [0x02195] = 0x22, -- updownarrow
    [0x0219E] = 0x23, -- leftleftarrow
    [0x0219F] = 0x24, -- upuparrow
    [0x021A0] = 0x25, -- rightrightarrow
--~     [0x00026] = 0x26, -- amperand
    [0x021A1] = 0x27, -- downdownarrow
    [0x021A2] = 0x28, -- leftarrowtail
    [0x021A3] = 0x29, -- rightarrowtail
    [0x021A4] = 0x2A, -- leftarrowbar
    [0x021A6] = 0x2B, -- rightarrowbar
    [0x021A5] = 0x2C, -- uparrowbar
--~     [0x02212] = 0x2D, -- minus
--~     [0x0002D] = 0x2D, -- minus
    [0x021A7] = 0x2E, -- downarrowbar
    [0x021E4] = 0x2F, -- barleftarrow
    [0x021E5] = 0x30, -- barrightarrow

    [0x021E0] = 0x38, -- dashleftarrow
    [0x021E1] = 0x39, -- dashuparrow
    [0x021E2] = 0x3A, -- dashrightarrow
    [0x021E3] = 0x3B, -- dashdownarrow
    [0x021A9] = 0x3C, -- hookleftarrow
--~     [0x0003D] = 0x3D, -- equalto
    [0x021AA] = 0x3E, -- hookrightarrow
    [0x021AB] = 0x3F, -- looparrowleft
    [0x021AC] = 0x40, -- looparrowright
    [0x1D538] = 0x41, -- A                     (blackboard A)
    [0x1D539] = 0x42, -- B
    [0x02102] = 0x43, -- C
    [0x1D53B] = 0x44, -- D
    [0x1D53C] = 0x45, -- E
    [0x1D53D] = 0x46, -- F
    [0x1D53E] = 0x47, -- G
    [0x0210D] = 0x48, -- H
    [0x1D540] = 0x49, -- I
    [0x1D541] = 0x4A, -- J
    [0x1D542] = 0x4B, -- K
    [0x1D543] = 0x4C, -- L
    [0x1D544] = 0x4D, -- M
    [0x02115] = 0x4E, -- N
    [0x1D546] = 0x4F, -- O
    [0x02119] = 0x50, -- P
    [0x0211A] = 0x51, -- Q
    [0x0211D] = 0x52, -- R
    [0x1D54A] = 0x53, -- S
    [0x1D54B] = 0x54, -- T
    [0x1D54C] = 0x55, -- U
    [0x1D54D] = 0x56, -- V
    [0x1D54E] = 0x57, -- W
    [0x1D54F] = 0x58, -- X
    [0x1D550] = 0x59, -- Y
    [0x02124] = 0x5A, -- Z                     (blackboard Z)
    [0x0231C] = 0x5B, -- ulcorner
    [0x0231D] = 0x5C, -- urcorner
    [0x0231E] = 0x5D, -- llcorner
    [0x0231F] = 0x5E, -- lrcorner
    [0x02225] = 0x5F, -- parallel, Vert, lVert, rVert, arrowvert
    [0x021D5] = 0x60, -- Updownarrow
    [0x021D4] = 0x61, -- Leftrightarrow
    [0x021D6] = 0x62, -- Upleftarrow
    [0x021D7] = 0x63, -- Uprightarrow
    [0x021D9] = 0x64, -- Downleftarrow
    [0x021D5] = 0x65, -- Downrightarrow
    [0x021CD] = 0x66, -- nLeftarrow
    [0x021CE] = 0x67, -- nLeftrightarrow
    [0x021CF] = 0x68, -- nRightarrow
--~     [0x021CE] = 0x69, -- nLeftrightarrow -- what's the difference
between this and 0x0067[0x021CE]
    [0x021DA] = 0x6A, -- Lleftarrow
    [0x1D55C] = 0x6B, -- k                     \Bbbk (blackboard k)
    [0x021DB] = 0x6C, -- Rrightarrow
    [0x021C4] = 0x6D, -- rlarrow
    [0x021C6] = 0x6E, -- lrarrow
    [0x021C5] = 0x6F, -- udarrow
--~     [0x021C5] = 0x70, -- duarrow
    [0x021C7] = 0x71, -- llarrow
    [0x021C8] = 0x72, -- uuarrow
    [0x021C9] = 0x73, -- rrarrow
    [0x021CA] = 0x74, -- ddarrow
    [0x021BE] = 0x75, -- rupharpoon
    [0x021BF] = 0x76, -- lupharpoon
    [0x021C2] = 0x77, -- rdownharpoon
    [0x021C3] = 0x78, -- ldownharpoon
    [0x021CB] = 0x79, -- lrharpoon
    [0x021CC] = 0x7A, -- rlharpoon
    [0x021B0] = 0x7B, -- upthenleftarrow
--~     [0x0] = 0x7C, -- part
    [0x021B1] = 0x7D, -- upthenrightarrow
--~     [0x0] = 0x7E, -- part
    [0x02276] = 0x7F, -- ltgt
    [0x021B2] = 0x81, -- downthenleftarrow
    [0x021B3] = 0x82, -- downthenrightarrow
    [0x02B0E] = 0x83, -- rightthendownarrow
    [0x02B10] = 0x84, -- leftthendownarrow
    [0x02B0F] = 0x85, -- rightthenuparrow
    [0x02B11] = 0x86, -- leftthenuparrow
    [0x021B6] = 0x87, -- leftarcarrow
    [0x021B7] = 0x88, -- rightarcarrow
    [0x0293D] = 0x89, -- leftarcarrowplus
    [0x0293C] = 0x8A, -- rightarcarrowminus
    [0x021BA] = 0x8B, -- anticlockwise
    [0x021BB] = 0x8C, -- clockwise

    [0x02260] = 0x94, -- noteq
    [0x02262] = 0x95, -- notidentical
    [0x02241] = 0x96, -- nottilde
    [0x02244] = 0x97, -- notasymptoticallyequal
    [0x02249] = 0x98, -- notalmostequal
    [0x02247] = 0x99, -- notapproximatelyeq
    [0x0226E] = 0x9A, -- nless
    [0x0226F] = 0x9B, -- ngtr
    [0x02270] = 0x9C, -- nleq
    [0x02271] = 0x9D, -- ngeq
    [0x022E6] = 0x9E, -- lnsim
    [0x022E7] = 0x9F, -- gnsim
    [0x02605] = 0xAB, -- black star
    [0x02713] = 0xAC, -- check
    [0x02277] = 0xC5, -- gtlt
    [0x02284] = 0xC6, -- nsubsetof
    [0x02285] = 0xC7, -- nsupsetof
    [0x02288] = 0xC8, -- nsubseteq
    [0x02289] = 0xC9, -- nsupseteq

    [0x0228A] = 0xCC, -- subsetneq
    [0x0228B] = 0xCD, -- supsetneq

--~     [0x0228A] = 0xD0, -- subsetneq
--~     [0x0228B] = 0xD1, -- supsetneq

    [0x02270] = 0xD6, -- nleq
    [0x02271] = 0xD7, -- ngeq

    [0x02268] = 0xDC, -- lneqq
    [0x02269] = 0xDD, -- gneqq

    [0x022E6] = 0xE0, -- lnsim
    [0x02219] = 0xE1, -- bullet
    [0x022E7] = 0xE2, -- gnsim

    [0x02280] = 0xE5, -- nprec
    [0x02281] = 0xE6, -- nsucc

    [0x022E8] = 0xEB, -- precnsim
    [0x022E9] = 0xEC, -- succnsim

    [0x022EA] = 0xEF, -- nnormalsub
    [0x022EB] = 0xF0, -- ncontainnormalsub
    [0x022EC] = 0xF1, -- nnormalsubeq
    [0x022ED] = 0xF2, -- ncontainnormalsubeq

    [0x02226] = 0xF7, -- nparallel
    [0x022AC] = 0xF8, -- nvdash
    [0x022AE] = 0xF9, -- nVdash
    [0x022AD] = 0xFA, -- nvDash
    [0x022AF] = 0xFB, -- nVDash
}
The empty lines indicate that there're some symbols I can't find in
the unicode chart,
the commented lines indicate that I'm not sure about that.

I don't know if you were working on that. I almost went blind after
this and I hope
you won't go through the same work.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Mojca Miklavec

--
Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

* Re: Math in MKIV - HOWTO
@ 2010-03-01 17:07               ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2010-03-01 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Correction:
[0x021D5] = 0x65, -- Downrightarrow
It's wrong, should be:
[0x021D8] = 0x65, -- Downrightarrow

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>    [0x0293C] = 0x8A, -- rightarcarrowminus
>    [0x021BA] = 0x8B, -- anticlockwise
>    [0x021BB] = 0x8C, -- clockwise
>
>    [0x02260] = 0x94, -- noteq
>    [0x02262] = 0x95, -- notidentical
>    [0x02241] = 0x96, -- nottilde
>    [0x02244] = 0x97, -- notasymptoticallyequal
>    [0x02249] = 0x98, -- notalmostequal
>    [0x02247] = 0x99, -- notapproximatelyeq
>    [0x0226E] = 0x9A, -- nless
>    [0x0226F] = 0x9B, -- ngtr
>    [0x02270] = 0x9C, -- nleq
>    [0x02271] = 0x9D, -- ngeq
>    [0x022E6] = 0x9E, -- lnsim
>    [0x022E7] = 0x9F, -- gnsim
>    [0x02605] = 0xAB, -- black star
>    [0x02713] = 0xAC, -- check
>    [0x02277] = 0xC5, -- gtlt
>    [0x02284] = 0xC6, -- nsubsetof
>    [0x02285] = 0xC7, -- nsupsetof
>    [0x02288] = 0xC8, -- nsubseteq
>    [0x02289] = 0xC9, -- nsupseteq
>
>    [0x0228A] = 0xCC, -- subsetneq
>    [0x0228B] = 0xCD, -- supsetneq
>
> --~     [0x0228A] = 0xD0, -- subsetneq
> --~     [0x0228B] = 0xD1, -- supsetneq
>
>    [0x02270] = 0xD6, -- nleq
>    [0x02271] = 0xD7, -- ngeq
>
>    [0x02268] = 0xDC, -- lneqq
>    [0x02269] = 0xDD, -- gneqq
>
>    [0x022E6] = 0xE0, -- lnsim
>    [0x02219] = 0xE1, -- bullet
>    [0x022E7] = 0xE2, -- gnsim
>
>    [0x02280] = 0xE5, -- nprec
>    [0x02281] = 0xE6, -- nsucc
>
>    [0x022E8] = 0xEB, -- precnsim
>    [0x022E9] = 0xEC, -- succnsim
>
>    [0x022EA] = 0xEF, -- nnormalsub
>    [0x022EB] = 0xF0, -- ncontainnormalsub
>    [0x022EC] = 0xF1, -- nnormalsubeq
>    [0x022ED] = 0xF2, -- ncontainnormalsubeq
>
>    [0x02226] = 0xF7, -- nparallel
>    [0x022AC] = 0xF8, -- nvdash
>    [0x022AE] = 0xF9, -- nVdash
>    [0x022AD] = 0xFA, -- nvDash
>    [0x022AF] = 0xFB, -- nVDash
> }
> The empty lines indicate that there're some symbols I can't find in
> the unicode chart,
> the commented lines indicate that I'm not sure about that.
>
> I don't know if you were working on that. I almost went blind after
> this and I hope
> you won't go through the same work.

>>> you should coordinate this with mojca
>>
>> Just go on ... I'll check once I finish a few important task (and that
>> most probably won't be today), but I promise to do a precise check
>> (whether or not the vector will be complete by then - of course it
>> will be much easier if Zhichu does the work :).
>>
>> Mojca
>>

> --
> Best Regards
> Chen
>
>          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
>         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
>             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
>                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com

* Re: Math in MKIV - HOWTO
@ 2010-03-02 10:45               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-02 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1-3-2010 17:26, Zhichu Chen wrote:
> Hi, I got some time today and checked some symbols of hlcra.tfm
> (LucidaNewMath-Arrows), and got this table:

so that table replaces lbr-ma in math-vfu?

mojca/aditya: can you check this and send me an updated/patch for math-vfu?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Math in MKIV - HOWTO
@ 2010-03-02 11:25                 ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2010-03-02 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 1-3-2010 17:26, Zhichu Chen wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I got some time today and checked some symbols of hlcra.tfm
>> (LucidaNewMath-Arrows), and got this table:
>
> so that table replaces lbr-ma in math-vfu?
yes. And don't forget the correction:
Correction:
[0x021D5] = 0x65, -- Downrightarrow
It's wrong, should be:
[0x021D8] = 0x65, -- Downrightarrow

> mojca/aditya: can you check this and send me an updated/patch for math-vfu?

>                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>              Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>     tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

* Re: Math in MKIV - HOWTO
@ 2010-03-02 11:34                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-02 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2-3-2010 12:25, Zhichu Chen wrote:
> 0x021D8] = 0x65, -- Downrightarrow

ok, i'll make a beta with that vector

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Math in MKIV - HOWTO
@ 2010-03-02 13:49                 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-03-02 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Mojca/aditya: can you check this and send me an updated/patch for math-vfu?

What's pretty important is to fill the char-def.lua as well (maybe
together with some additional comments that the glyph names come from
the LaTeX package from Lucida, just that we'll know where the names
come from next time when we see some clashes).

Out of the whole vector only some 5-10% of glyphs works now.

A very nice check would be

   for every slot in lbr-ma
      - print out unicode point
      - print out unicode description
      - print out mathname and mathclass
      - draw the glyph
      - draw the same glyph from cambria for comparison

(I need to learn how to do that though, but it would be a nice homework.)

Mojca

* Re: Math in MKIV - HOWTO
@ 2010-03-02 14:28                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-02 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2-3-2010 14:49, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> What's pretty important is to fill the char-def.lua as well (maybe
> together with some additional comments that the glyph names come from
> the LaTeX package from Lucida, just that we'll know where the names
> come from next time when we see some clashes).

hm, but for me name compatibility with every latex math package is no
objective; i'd rather that we're unicode math compiant (and i don't care
too much what route latex follows)

> Out of the whole vector only some 5-10% of glyphs works now.

is it that bad? interesting is that lucida was one of the first fonts
context supported so the transition from yandy->tug has really messed up
things then

> A very nice check would be
>
>     for every slot in lbr-ma
>        - print out unicode point
>        - print out unicode description
>        - print out mathname and mathclass
>        - draw the glyph
>        - draw the same glyph from cambria for comparison
>
> (I need to learn how to do that though, but it would be a nice homework.)

well, we can forget about symbols that are in lucida but not in unicode
... it makes no sense to add all kind of symbols that only exist in one
font

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Math in MKIV - HOWTO
@ 2010-03-02 15:23                     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-03-02 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 15:28, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 2-3-2010 14:49, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> hm, but for me name compatibility with every latex math package is no
> objective; i'd rather that we're unicode math compiant (and i don't care too
> much what route latex follows)

I would not care too much about LaTeX either, but what does Unicode
compliance mean?

\symbol{DOWNWARDS ARROW LEFTWARDS OF UPWARDS ARROW}?

>> Out of the whole vector only some 5-10% of glyphs works now.
>
> is it that bad? interesting is that lucida was one of the first fonts
> context supported so the transition from yandy->tug has really messed up
> things then

It's not about messing things up, but about missing "mathname=" in
char-def.lua for all the unicode entries for special glyphs. If those
glyphs worked in MKII from the very beginning, they won't work before
one adds several entries to

But of course they should work flawlessly when they are entered as
unicode characters. They only fail to work when one enters
\zrangeantirestriction for example.

Mojca

* Re: Math in MKIV - HOWTO
@ 2010-03-02 15:41                       ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2010-03-02 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 15:28, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 2-3-2010 14:49, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> hm, but for me name compatibility with every latex math package is no
>> objective; i'd rather that we're unicode math compiant (and i don't care too
>> much what route latex follows)
>
> I would not care too much about LaTeX either, but what does Unicode
> compliance mean?
>
> \symbol{DOWNWARDS ARROW LEFTWARDS OF UPWARDS ARROW}?
>
>>> Out of the whole vector only some 5-10% of glyphs works now.
>>
>> is it that bad? interesting is that lucida was one of the first fonts
>> context supported so the transition from yandy->tug has really messed up
>> things then
>
> It's not about messing things up, but about missing "mathname=" in
> char-def.lua for all the unicode entries for special glyphs. If those
> glyphs worked in MKII from the very beginning, they won't work before
> one adds several entries to
>
> But of course they should work flawlessly when they are entered as
> unicode characters. They only fail to work when one enters
> \zrangeantirestriction for example.

I'm sorry, this is just my comment from the unicode chart. I'm pretty sure
that won't work. I download the chart, compare the symbols in the tables
one by one without even knowing the meanings. Is there like a table of
macros of all symbols?

--
Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

* Re: Math in MKIV - HOWTO
@ 2010-03-02 15:56                         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-03-02 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 16:41, Zhichu Chen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> It's not about messing things up, but about missing "mathname=" in
>> char-def.lua for all the unicode entries for special glyphs. If those
>> glyphs worked in MKII from the very beginning, they won't work before
>> one adds several entries to
>>
>> But of course they should work flawlessly when they are entered as
>> unicode characters. They only fail to work when one enters
>> \zrangeantirestriction for example.
>
> I'm sorry, this is just my comment from the unicode chart. I'm pretty sure
> that won't work. I download the chart, compare the symbols in the tables
> one by one without even knowing the meanings. Is there like a table of
> macros of all symbols?

a) Take a look at lucidabr.sty (inside lucidabr.zip from CTAN). That's
the source for names of glyphs used in LaTeX for Lucida.

b) The Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List
c) \showmathcharacters in MKII
d) any other font with extensive glyph repertoaire

Mojca

PS: F3 looks very similar to 226D, but it's not exactly that. And
there are plenty of other such characters.