* command reference not searchable
@ 2016-05-20  3:14 Akira Kakuto
From: Akira Kakuto @ 2016-05-20  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

It will be convenient for TeX Live users if i-context.pdf is copied like
$TEXMF/doc/context/documents/general/commands/i-context.pdf

Then one can read it by
texdoc i-context.pdf

Best,
Akira

* Re: command reference not searchable
@ 2016-05-20  8:27 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-05-20  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/20/2016 5:14 AM, Akira Kakuto wrote:
> It will be convenient for TeX Live users if i-context.pdf is copied like
> $TEXMF/doc/context/documents/general/commands/i-context.pdf
>
> Then one can read it by
> texdoc i-context.pdf

mtxrun --launch context-todo.pdf

* Re: command reference not searchable
@ 2016-05-20 10:13 Akira Kakuto
From: Akira Kakuto @ 2016-05-20 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> mtxrun --launch context-todo.pdf

Thanks a lot.  mtxrun --launch i-context.pdf worked fine.

@ 2016-05-20  8:36     ` Jean-Pierre Delange
From: Jean-Pierre Delange @ 2016-05-20  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang,
Thank you very much for this information.
JP

From: Jean-Pierre Delange @ 2016-05-20  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi HansvanderMeer,

I'll try sooner as possible to test these PDF on my virtual OS X Mavericks. Some tricks about mtxrun and lua are explained by Hans Hagen in a xml/pdf file doc entitled luatools/mtxrun/context dated May 12, 2016 : tools-mkiv.pdf
JP

From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2016-05-20  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

Remembered that Hans Hagen recently told me (and Jean-Pierre reminded me of this) that the document can be generated with:
   context --extra=setups --overview i-context.xml
I did this and the resultant document now has in the document properties:
  PDF Producer: LuaTeX-0.95.0
  PDF Version : 1.7 (Acrobat 8.x)
This document is searchable indeed, both in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and in Apple's Preview.
Conclusion: the problem must be --at least on my perfectly normal straight out-of-the-box MacOSX-- located in the producer "Mac OSX (version) Quartz PDFContext". Why? About that I am in the dark.

> On 19 May 2016, at 23:09, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Jean-Pierre Delange 19. Mai 2016 um 21:59
>> Hi fellows ConTeXt users,
>>
>> I think the issue comes from Mac OS X PDF reader installation. On Windows, one can pass the following command:
>> context --extra=setups --overview cont-en.xml which print a PDF file (ConTeXt Extra) very searchable.
> cont-en.xml is the old reference file (which still exists because it is used in manuals), the updated list is in i-context.xml and all sub files (i-xxx.xml).

Hans van der Meer

* Re: command reference not searchable
@ 2016-05-19 21:09   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-05-19 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-05-19 21:03   ` Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-05-19 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is searchable on my El Capitan laptop here.  I used the file in the
directory and did not run context to generate it if that's what you did.

@ 2016-05-19 19:59 ` Jean-Pierre Delange
From: Jean-Pierre Delange @ 2016-05-19 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi fellows ConTeXt users,

I think the issue comes from Mac OS X PDF reader installation. On Windows, one can pass the following command:
context --extra=setups --overview cont-en.xml which print a PDF file (ConTeXt Extra) very searchable. I didn't try to go further with others xml files which source are here :

@ 2016-05-19 18:32       ` Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2016-05-19 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan BRASLAU, NTG ConTeXt

Very weird. I haven't the faintest idea why this pdf is not searchable and similar ones in the same folder do.
Checked the permissions but they are the same.
However, I have another document that cannot be searched, the context reference manual from 2013 and there seems to be a difference between these two and the others.
Those I cannot search have in their properties as PDF producer "Mac OSX (version) Quartz PDFContext" (older pdf versions 1.3 and 1.4), the others have Luatex as producer (pdf version 1.7).
Therefore, I strongly suspect that the Quartz producer is the culprit, weird as it may be.
Is it possible to produce the command reference with Luatex as producer excluding the Mac Quartz producer?
It is the only difference I am aware of that matches the behaviour.

> On 19 May 2016, at 19:08, Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote:
>
> I can search this document using any and all pdf tools to which I have
> access on my system.
>
> Alan
>
> On Thu, 19 May 2016 16:49:31 +0000
> "Meer, Hans van der" <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl> wrote:
>
>> Checked again also on a MacBook, definitely not searchable here.
>> I am running El Capitan, and the command reference version is the one
>> from May 17, 2016, found in one of the latest contextbeta
>> distributions.

>>> Searches work for me in Preview.

Hans van der Meer

* Re: command reference not searchable
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-05-19 18:24     ` Hans Åberg
From: Hans Åberg @ 2016-05-19 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 19 May 2016, at 18:49, Meer, Hans van der <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl> wrote:
>
> Checked again also on a MacBook, definitely not searchable here.
> I am running El Capitan, and the command reference version is the one from May 17, 2016, found in one of the latest contextbeta distributions.

You probably need to detail what you try to do. I just plugged into some things into the Preview search bar and got hits.

* Re: command reference not searchable
@ 2016-05-19 18:23     ` Hans Åberg
From: Hans Åberg @ 2016-05-19 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-05-19 17:08     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2016-05-19 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meer, Hans van der; +Cc: NTG ConTeXt

I can search this document using any and all pdf tools to which I have
access on my system.

Alan

On Thu, 19 May 2016 16:49:31 +0000
"Meer, Hans van der" <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl> wrote:

> Checked again also on a MacBook, definitely not searchable here.
> I am running El Capitan, and the command reference version is the one
> from May 17, 2016, found in one of the latest contextbeta
> distributions.
>
> > On 19 May 2016, at 18:02, Hans Åberg <haberg-1@telia.com> wrote:
> >

> >> On 19 May 2016, at 17:00, Meer, Hans van der <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> The command reference in file i-context.pdf is highly useful, but
> >> that document is not searchable, neither with Preview nor Adobe
> >> Reader.
> >
> > Searches work for me in Preview.

* Re: command reference not searchable
@ 2016-05-19 16:59     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2016-05-19 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05/19/2016 06:49 PM, Meer, Hans van der wrote:
> Checked again also on a MacBook, definitely not searchable here.

Searchable on linux in okular (kde).

Thomas

* Re: command reference not searchable
@ 2016-05-19 16:49   ` Meer, Hans van der