* Absolute positioning of graphics on the page
@ 2004-09-06 17:29 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2004-09-06 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is this possible without using layers? IOW, it there some kind
of command that allows:

\somecommand[some setups]{content}

where the setups specify where the content should be
positioned, and towards where it should extend? (e.g.,
positioned in the top right corner, extending to the bottom
left)

This can be achieved via layers, but is it possible without?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* RE: Absolute positioning of graphics on the page
@ 2004-09-07  6:36 ` Martin Kolarik
From: Martin Kolarik @ 2004-09-07  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Giuseppe,

try:

\setuppositioning[unit=cm,factor=0.5]

\starpositioning
  \position(1,1){top left text}
  \position(40,1){top right text}
\stoppositioning

Of course, the unit can be almost all of well known TeX units (pt, mm, em,
in, ...)

Have a nice day,

Martin

Is this possible without using layers? IOW, it there some kind
of command that allows:

\somecommand[some setups]{content}

where the setups specify where the content should be
positioned, and towards where it should extend? (e.g.,
positioned in the top right corner, extending to the bottom
left)

This can be achieved via layers, but is it possible without?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[2]: Absolute positioning of graphics on the page
@ 2004-09-07 11:04   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2004-09-07 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, September 7, 2004 Martin Kolarik wrote:

> Hi Giuseppe,

> try:

> \setuppositioning[unit=cm,factor=0.5]

> \starpositioning
>   \position(1,1){top left text}
>   \position(40,1){top right text}
> \stoppositioning

> Of course, the unit can be almost all of well known TeX units (pt, mm, em,
> in, ...)

This surely works ok for "top left". But how can I guarantee
that "top right" has its *top right* corner in the position? I
would have to calculate the coordinates manually (depending on
page site, "top right text" dimensions etc).

--

@ 2004-09-07 16:40     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-09-07 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote

>This surely works ok for "top left". But how can I guarantee
>that "top right" has its *top right* corner in the position? I
>would have to calculate the coordinates manually (depending on
>page site, "top right text" dimensions etc).

why not use layers? you can flush them whenever you want,

  \flushlayer \composedlayer \tightlayer

also, peek into core-box.tex: collectors and such)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-09-07 18:43     ` Martin Kolarik
From: Martin Kolarik @ 2004-09-07 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This surely works ok for "top left". But how can I guarantee
> that "top right" has its *top right* corner in the position? I
> would have to calculate the coordinates manually (depending on
> page site, "top right text" dimensions etc).

Yes, AFAIK the mechanism does not support this now (and I do not know, if it
sometimes will do -- it seems to me it is a relatively old part of ConTeXt
and Hans himself recommends you the layers :-).

Anyway, you would have to count positions and coordinates manually.

But there is always a way using generic TeX here:

\position(40,1){%
  \hbox to 0pt{%
    \hss
    \vbox to 0pt{
      -- a material to typeset or display --
      \vss
    }
  }

Of course, this solution does not take into account all of ConTeXt dependent
(and very convenient and pretty) features like grid fitting etc.

It is a thing of your needs.

Have a nice day,

Martin

* Re[2]: Absolute positioning of graphics on the page
@ 2004-09-08  1:21       ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2004-09-08  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, September 7, 2004 Hans Hagen wrote:

> Giuseppe Bilotta wrote

>>This surely works ok for "top left". But how can I guarantee
>>that "top right" has its *top right* corner in the position? I
>>would have to calculate the coordinates manually (depending on
>>page site, "top right text" dimensions etc).
>>

> why not use layers?

Because I want something simple and immediate, and layers
aren't. :)

But if it's not possible, ok, I will.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta