* IPA transcription
@ 2017-03-23 13:49 Angel M Alganza
From: Angel M Alganza @ 2017-03-23 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello:

Is there a (easy) way to write phonetic
transcriptions using the IPA (International
Phonetic Alphabet) in ConTeXt?  I can't find any
reference to it in the documentation.

Thank you.
Ángel

* Re: IPA transcription
@ 2017-03-23 15:57 ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2017-03-23 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 23/03/2017 14:49, Angel M Alganza wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Is there a (easy) way to write phonetic
> transcriptions using the IPA (International
> Phonetic Alphabet) in ConTeXt?  I can't find any
> reference to it in the documentation.

 > Hello:
 >
 > Is there a (easy) way to write phonetic
 > transcriptions using the IPA (International
 > Phonetic Alphabet) in ConTeXt?  I can't find any
 > reference to it in the documentation.

I did that some time ago, but I can speak only for macOS. You want to
have:

- fonts supporting phonetic symbols (both in the text editor and for the
   output);
- an IPA keyboard layout;
- a good text editor;
- good international support from the OS.

I used Charis SIL (for the fonts) and SF Mono (macOS fixed-width font)
in the text editor. Keyboard layouts can be found here:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ipa-sil_keyboard

The text editor I use is (Mac)Vim, which has very good Unicode support.
Finally, you configure the OS to easily switch between keyboards
layouts. In macOS, you go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Input
Sources and select the desired keyboard layout, including the IPA
layout, then check “Show input in menu bar”. Then you go to Shortcuts >
Input Sources and configure your preferred key combo to switch between
keyboard layouts.

In my workflow, I was keeping the keyboard viewer opened and typing the
phonetic symbols directly, switching back and forth between English and
IPA keyboards. After a while, it becomes quite natural and you don't
even need to look at the keyboard viewer any longer.

On the ConTeXt side, nothing special is required. This is a simple
example (your newsreader may not render the phonetic symbols):

\definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [Charis SIL]
\setupbodyfont[mainface]
\starttext
naujas, -a & [ˈnɑʊjɑs], [nɑʊˈjɑ] & new & \\
draugas (m) & [ˈdrɑʊɡɑs] & friend & \\
susitikimas (m) & [sʊsʲɪtʲɪˈkʲɪmɑs] & meetinɡ & \\
irgi & [ˈɪrɡʲɪ] & also  & aš irgi esu studentas (I'm a student, too) \\
gyventi & [ɡʲiːˈʋʲɛːntʲɪ] & to live & aš gyvenu Italijoje  (I live in
Italy) \\
butas (m) & [ˈbʊtɑs] & flat, apartment & \\
motina (f) & [ˈmoːtʲɪnaː] & mother & \\
mergaitė (f) & [mʲɛrˈɡɑɪtʲeː] & girl & \\
ruošti & [ˈrʊoːʃʲtʲɪ] & to prepare & \\
dirbti & [ˈdʲɪrbʊ] & to work & \\
norėti & [noˈrʲeːtʲɪ] & to want & \\
rašyti & [rɑˈʃʲiːtʲɪ] & to write &  \\
skaityti & [skɑɪˈtʲiːtʲɪ] & to read & \\
sportuoti & [sporˈtu:otʲɪ] & to go in for sport & \\
keliauti & [kʲɛˈlʲɑʊtʲɪ] & to travel & \\
pasivaikščioti & [pɑsʲɪˈʋɑɪkʃʲtʃʲotʲɪ] & to go for a walk &\\
universitetas (m) & [unʲɪʋʲɛrʲsʲɪˈtʲɛtɑs] &  university & \\
mėgti & [ˈmʲeːɡtʲɪ] & to like & \\
manyti  & [mɑˈnʲiːtʲɪ] & to think & \\
žinoti & [ʒʲɪˈnoːtʲɪ] & to know & \\
\stoptext

Happy TeXing!
Nicola

* Re: IPA transcription
@ 2017-03-23 16:19   ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2017-03-23 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 23/03/2017 16:57, Nicola wrote:
> On 23/03/2017 14:49, Angel M Alganza wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> Is there a (easy) way to write phonetic
>> transcriptions using the IPA (International
>> Phonetic Alphabet) in ConTeXt?  I can't find any
>> reference to it in the documentation.
>
>> Hello:
>>
>> Is there a (easy) way to write phonetic
>> transcriptions using the IPA (International
>> Phonetic Alphabet) in ConTeXt?  I can't find any
>> reference to it in the documentation.
>
> I did that some time ago, but I can speak only for macOS. You want to
> have:
>
> - fonts supporting phonetic symbols (both in the text editor and for the
>   output);
> - an IPA keyboard layout;
> - a good text editor;
> - good international support from the OS.
>
> I used Charis SIL (for the fonts) and SF Mono (macOS fixed-width font)
> in the text editor. Keyboard layouts can be found here:

Sorry, this is the right link:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=UniIPAKeyboard

Nicola

* Re: IPA transcription
@ 2017-03-23 17:30   ` Hans Åberg
From: Hans Åberg @ 2017-03-23 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 23 Mar 2017, at 16:57, Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is there a (easy) way to write phonetic
> > transcriptions using the IPA (International
> > Phonetic Alphabet) in ConTeXt?  I can't find any
> > reference to it in the documentation.
>
> I did that some time ago, but I can speak only for macOS. You want to
> have:
>
> - fonts supporting phonetic symbols (both in the text editor and for the
>  output);
> - an IPA keyboard layout;

You might try the text substitutions service: System Preferences > Keyboard > Text. One chooses replacement text and what it should be substituted into. See the thread "Input methods" for an automated approach to generating large substitution sets.

> The text editor I use is (Mac)Vim, which has very good Unicode support.

Xcode has a good UTF-8 editor. But text substitutions can be used in any program supporting it: Mail, Text Edit.

* Re: IPA transcription
@ 2017-03-23 20:04     ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2017-03-23 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 23/03/2017 18:30, Hans Åberg wrote:

>> On 23 Mar 2017, at 16:57, Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Is there a (easy) way to write phonetic
>>> transcriptions using the IPA (International
>>> Phonetic Alphabet) in ConTeXt?  I can't find any
>>> reference to it in the documentation.
>>
>> I did that some time ago, but I can speak only for macOS. You want to
>> have:
>>
>> - fonts supporting phonetic symbols (both in the text editor and for the
>>  output);
>> - an IPA keyboard layout;
>
>You might try the text substitutions service: System Preferences >
>Keyboard > Text. One chooses replacement text and what it should be
>substituted into. See the thread "Input methods" for an automated
>approach to generating large substitution sets.

Sure, that's another possibility. A drawback of that approach, as far as
I can see, is that those substitutions are applied globally across the
system.

Btw, Vim has a similar feature, called `iabbrev`: the advantage is that
replacements are editor-specific and the method is cross-platform
(because Vim is). Vim also offers support for inputting “digraphs” and
for defining your own. Even better, for the use case at hand, is that
you may also define your own keymap, e.g.:

https://github.com/bpj/bpj-vim-keymaps/blob/master/keymap/bxs.vim

I guess that other editors (e.g., Emacs) may offer similar
functionality.

Anyway, for me the IPA keyboard layout is what has worked best.

Nicola

* Re: IPA transcription
@ 2017-03-23 22:24       ` Hans Åberg
From: Hans Åberg @ 2017-03-23 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 23 Mar 2017, at 21:04, Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 23/03/2017 18:30, Hans Åberg wrote:
>>
>> You might try the text substitutions service: System Preferences >
>> Keyboard > Text. One chooses replacement text and what it should be
>> substituted into. See the thread "Input methods" for an automated
>> approach to generating large substitution sets.
>
> Sure, that's another possibility. A drawback of that approach, as far as
> I can see, is that those substitutions are applied globally across the
> system.

It can be turned on/off, say by adding System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts, App Shortcuts for Text Replacement & Hide/Show Substitutions. (^<cmd>T & ^<cmd>S seems fairly safe.)

Also, one might try replacements with some escape code, say using # or \.

> Btw, Vim has a similar feature, called `iabbrev`: the advantage is that
> replacements are editor-specific and the method is cross-platform
> (because Vim is). Vim also offers support for inputting “digraphs” and
> for defining your own.

It does not seem to work with combining characters.

> Even better, for the use case at hand, is that
> you may also define your own keymap, e.g.:

One can make MacOS keymaps using Ukelele, but that is very time consuming. The text substitution system is very fast, both in terms of creating it, and using. I made a system for all the over one thousand math styled alphanumeric symbols.

It is tricky to make sure there are no conflicts, and the .plist format is right, which is why I wrote the C++ program.

> Anyway, for me the IPA keyboard layout is what has worked best.

That might work well of the set of characters is fairly small.