* Re: quotation marks for language latin
@ 2011-05-01 14:59 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-05-01 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday 01/05/2011 at 4:09 pm, Thomas A. Schmitz  wrote:
> Hi all, Hans,
>
> in lang-def.mkiv (line 623) and and lang-ita.mkii (line 101), we have
>
> \installlanguage % the same as italian
>    [\s!la]
>    [\c!rightquote=\lowerrightsingleninequote,
>      \c!rightquotation=\lowerrightdoubleninequote,
>
> This can't possibly be right (is there a language which has
> “quote„ ?). I think the usual thing would be
dutch has

> \installlanguage
>    [\s!la]
>    [\c!rightquotation=\upperrightdoubleninequote,
>      \c!rightquote=\upperrightsingleninequote,

what do those latin manuscripts in you office use?

Hans

* Re: quotation marks for language latin
@ 2011-05-01 15:12 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2011-05-01 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 1, 2011, at 4:59 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On Sunday 01/05/2011 at 4:09 pm, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> Hi all, Hans,
>>
>> in lang-def.mkiv (line 623) and and lang-ita.mkii (line 101), we have
>>
>> \installlanguage % the same as italian
>>    [\s!la]
>>    [\c!rightquote=\lowerrightsingleninequote,
>>     \c!rightquotation=\lowerrightdoubleninequote,
>>
>> This can't possibly be right (is there a language which has “quote„ ?). I think the usual thing would be
> dutch has

Wait wait. Dutch has

\installlanguage
  [\s!nl]

I just had a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-English_usage_of_quotation_marks, and the only language which has lowerdoubleninequote on the right of the quotation is Hebrew, I assume because its RTL.

> what do those latin manuscripts in you office use?
>
> Hans

Quotation marks weren't invented until the printed book (from habits in Greek manuscripts actually, but that's a different story), so manuscripts aren't of help here, unfortunately... Printed texts often follow national conventions (so texts printed in Germany have „quote“), but also “quote” or ‘quote’. I'm fine with anything, but the lowernine variety looks really weird.

Thomas

* quotation marks for language latin
@ 2011-05-01 14:08 Thomas A. Schmitz