* ConTeXt  ver: 2008.07.14 18:07 MKIV
@ 2008-07-16 12:43 Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2008-07-16 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG-Context ConTeXt users

Hi LUA-users,

Yesterday I installed a complete new set of minimals on my MAC (OSX
10.4).

Now I get very strange results wit MATPOST. The file compiled
contains a large definition which is used as an inclusion to produce
a series of similar drawings with different parameters. When
compiling the document with texexec --lua the fist page is ok. The
second and the following pages contain each page all the previous
drawings on top of each other.

If the same drawing-set is compiled with texexec in MKII mode (This
is MetaPost, version 1.085 (kpathsea version 3.5.6dev), some elements
are distorted. It concerns elements, which are rotated and shifted.
The fullcircle contained in the drawing is distorted too. Further
also this document contains on the second and following pages the
drawings from the previous pages stacked.

This file compiles correctly with

This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.1 (Web2C 7.5.6) (format=cont-
en 2008.3.21)  16 JUL 2008 14:38
ConTeXt  ver: 2008.03.11 23:55 MKII  fmt: 2008.3.21  int: english/
english

I tried to make a small test file. However this did not show the
problem described above. For someone who want to test I can provide
the source and my pdfs offline.

Willi

* Re: ConTeXt ver: 2008.07.14 18:07 MKIV
@ 2008-07-16 12:55 ` Mojca Miklavec
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-07-16 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Willi Egger wrote:
> Hi LUA-users,
>

> Yesterday I installed a complete new set of minimals on my MAC (OSX
> 10.4).
>
> Now I get very strange results wit MATPOST. The file compiled
> contains a large definition which is used as an inclusion to produce
> a series of similar drawings with different parameters. When
> compiling the document with texexec --lua the fist page is ok. The
> second and the following pages contain each page all the previous
> drawings on top of each other.

We (blame *me*) just followed Taco's request to test the new mplib,
and you are the third one to complain. I think that Taco is eagerly
waiting for such bug reports :) :) :)

If you need the old working metapost, let me know.

Mojca

PS: we have a nice way to go back in time with ConTeXt, but no nice
way to go back in time with binaries yet.

* Re: ConTeXt ver: 2008.07.14 18:07 MKIV
@ 2008-07-16 13:00   ` Wolfgang Schuster
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-16 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Willi Egger wrote:
>> Hi LUA-users,
>>

>> Yesterday I installed a complete new set of minimals on my MAC (OSX
>> 10.4).
>>
>> Now I get very strange results wit MATPOST. The file compiled
>> contains a large definition which is used as an inclusion to produce
>> a series of similar drawings with different parameters. When
>> compiling the document with texexec --lua the fist page is ok. The
>> second and the following pages contain each page all the previous
>> drawings on top of each other.
>
> We (blame *me*) just followed Taco's request to test the new mplib,
> and you are the third one to complain. I think that Taco is eagerly
> waiting for such bug reports :) :) :)
>
> If you need the old working metapost, let me know.
>
> Mojca
>
> PS: we have a nice way to go back in time with ConTeXt, but no nice
> way to go back in time with binaries yet.

Use the time machine :-) but Willi's Mac is too far in the past.

Wolfgang

* Re: ConTeXt ver: 2008.07.14 18:07 MKIV
@ 2008-07-16 13:27   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2008-07-16 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

thanks for your immediate reply. - Because I have still an older
version running here, I do not depend on immediate repair. - Anyway I
believe there will soon be a new version of MPlib though.

Kind regards

Wiilli

@ 2008-07-16 13:27   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-07-16 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Willi Egger wrote:
>> Hi LUA-users,
>>

>> Yesterday I installed a complete new set of minimals on my MAC (OSX
>> 10.4).
>>
>> Now I get very strange results wit MATPOST. The file compiled
>> contains a large definition which is used as an inclusion to produce
>> a series of similar drawings with different parameters. When
>> compiling the document with texexec --lua the fist page is ok. The
>> second and the following pages contain each page all the previous
>> drawings on top of each other.
>
> We (blame *me*) just followed Taco's request to test the new mplib,
> and you are the third one to complain. I think that Taco is eagerly
> waiting for such bug reports :) :) :)

Yes, please! (just mail me directly). Most interesting are problems
with the stand alone version of mplib because these are easiest to
debug. Please send me complete input, log, and output (problems often
occur only on specific platforms at this stage).

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: ConTeXt ver: 2008.07.14 18:07 MKIV
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-07-16 14:38   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-07-16 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Willi Egger wrote:
>> Hi LUA-users,
>>

>> Yesterday I installed a complete new set of minimals on my MAC (OSX
>> 10.4).
>>
>> Now I get very strange results wit MATPOST. The file compiled
>> contains a large definition which is used as an inclusion to produce
>> a series of similar drawings with different parameters. When
>> compiling the document with texexec --lua the fist page is ok. The
>> second and the following pages contain each page all the previous
>> drawings on top of each other.
>
> We (blame *me*) just followed Taco's request to test the new mplib,
> and you are the third one to complain. I think that Taco is eagerly
> waiting for such bug reports :) :) :)

This is not really a bug. Willi saved the drawing in a picture
variable, and each drawing simply added to the saved drawing.

In mkiv, all images are processed sequentially in a single metapost
job. This is quite different from mkii where each image had its own
metapost run. It means that in mkiv, you have to clean up after
yourself if you want your images to be independent of eachother.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: ConTeXt ver: 2008.07.14 18:07 MKIV
@ 2008-07-16 15:15     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-16 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Willi Egger wrote:
>>> Hi LUA-users,
>>>

>>> Yesterday I installed a complete new set of minimals on my MAC (OSX
>>> 10.4).
>>>
>>> Now I get very strange results wit MATPOST. The file compiled
>>> contains a large definition which is used as an inclusion to produce
>>> a series of similar drawings with different parameters. When
>>> compiling the document with texexec --lua the fist page is ok. The
>>> second and the following pages contain each page all the previous
>>> drawings on top of each other.
>> We (blame *me*) just followed Taco's request to test the new mplib,
>> and you are the third one to complain. I think that Taco is eagerly
>> waiting for such bug reports :) :) :)
>
> This is not really a bug. Willi saved the drawing in a picture
> variable, and each drawing simply added to the saved drawing.
>
> In mkiv, all images are processed sequentially in a single metapost
> job. This is quite different from mkii where each image had its own
> metapost run. It means that in mkiv, you have to clean up after
> yourself if you want your images to be independent of eachother.

indeed; the same effect can be watched with --automp

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-07-16 15:17     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2008-07-16 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

indeed, that was the problem in MKIV. - Though this runs really fast,
it is to adopt a new attitude! ;-)

Willi

@ 2008-07-16 16:20     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-07-16 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Mojca Miklavec
> <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Willi Egger wrote:
>>> Hi LUA-users,
>>>

>>> Yesterday I installed a complete new set of minimals on my MAC (OSX
>>> 10.4).
>>>
>>> Now I get very strange results wit MATPOST. The file compiled
>>> contains a large definition which is used as an inclusion to produce
>>> a series of similar drawings with different parameters. When
>>> compiling the document with texexec --lua the fist page is ok. The
>>> second and the following pages contain each page all the previous
>>> drawings on top of each other.
>> We (blame *me*) just followed Taco's request to test the new mplib,
>> and you are the third one to complain. I think that Taco is eagerly
>> waiting for such bug reports :) :) :)
>>
>> If you need the old working metapost, let me know.

There will be a new metapost release on friday.

* Re: ConTeXt  ver: 2008.07.14 18:07 MKIV
@ 2008-07-17 12:49 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-07-17 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Willi,

Willi Egger wrote:

> If the same drawing-set is compiled with texexec in MKII mode (This
> is MetaPost, version 1.085 (kpathsea version 3.5.6dev), some elements
> are distorted. It concerns elements, which are rotated and shifted.
> The fullcircle contained in the drawing is distorted too.

I found and fixed the bug causing this, so it will be solved by the
new beta MPlib to be released tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Taco

PS Replying on-list because digipaint believe spamcop.net is the source
of all wisdom so I cannot mail you directly for the next day or so