* TeXLive 2008
@ 2008-06-16  7:05 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-06-16  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi all, Hans, Taco,

this is kind of a continuation of the thread about installers etc. I'm
currently test-driving TeXLive 2008 and was wondering if we could make
it a bit easier for new users to just try out ConTeXt. The binaries
reside in <tl2008-directory>/2008/bin/<arch>; the installer gives the
choice to put symlinks in system directories. Would it make sense to
place some ConTeXt symlinks into the bin directory? For Unixoid
systems, I am thinking of these:

mtxrun -> ../../../2008/texmf-dist/scripts/context/lua/mtxrun.lua
luatools -> ../../../2008/texmf-dist/scripts/context/lua/luatools.lua

and maybe place the stub "context" into this bin directory as well. I
don't know how this would work for widnoze. I'm thinking of a
potential casual user who has just installed TeXLive and should be
able to simply run a "Hello World" document by typing "context
myfile." Does that make sense?

Thomas

* Re: TeXLive 2008
@ 2008-06-16  7:19 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-06-16  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> For Unixoid systems, I am thinking of these:
>
> mtxrun -> ../../../2008/texmf-dist/scripts/context/lua/mtxrun.lua
> luatools -> ../../../2008/texmf-dist/scripts/context/lua/luatools.lua
>
> and maybe place the stub "context" into this bin directory as well.

This is already taken care of. It is not in the current 'testing'
because Karl is still working on it, but the files are committed
and this will be done.  A similar solution exists for windows, btw.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: TeXLive 2008
@ 2008-06-16 14:29   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-06-16 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 16, 2008, at 9:19 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> This is already taken care of. It is not in the current 'testing'
> because Karl is still working on it, but the files are committed
> and this will be done.  A similar solution exists for windows, btw.

Excellent, and sorry for the noise. Thanks Taco!

Thomas