* ideas for ConTeXt meetings
@ 2010-10-26  7:31 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-10-26  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

* publicity:
If we meet less far off than Brejlov or Porquerolles, we could open
for a public day with introductional workshops, a keysigning party
etc., perhaps in cooperation with a local Linux/Open Source user group.

* if you're looking for a venue "near the Netherlands", consider this:
http://www.bildung-klingberg.de/
(educational site Klingberg, near Scharbeutz/Baltic Sea, website
unfortunately only in German)
Disclaimer: I know the managers.

* Tägerwilen 2016
I take that serious ;-) Perhaps the TeX groups in Stuttgart and Ulm
can help to organize a meeting in the Stuttgart-Ulm-Konstanz triangle.
But until then empires will rise and fall, calendars may end... ;-)

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: ideas for ConTeXt meetings
@ 2010-10-26  9:46 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-10-26  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

On Tuesday 26 October 2010 09:31:25 Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> If we meet less far off than Brejlov or Porquerolles,

Far from where?
Canada or South Africa, just to name a few places from which participants
came...

In organizing an international meeting, it is always a delicate balance in
choosing a site that is reasonably accessible, reasonably affordable,
reasonably attractive and available at a reasonable date. A meeting also needs
to be organized which implies quite a lot of (volonteer) work from a small
group of people. This means that the locale also depends on the availablity of
such volonteers.

It is also sane that the meeting be held in different regions, and,
unfortunately, not all meetings will be practical (or possible) for everyone.
We need to work together to find ways to make the meetings work for a maximum
number of participants in the best way possible.

Alan

* Re: ideas for ConTeXt meetings
@ 2010-10-26 11:41   ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2010-10-26 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Something else to consider is the date. Quite a few of us work in
academia, and the fall term has recently been advanced, at least at many
European universities, to just about when the ConTeXt meetings are being
held.

Of course you can't please everybody -- just a suggestion.

Cheers, Jörg

@ 2010-10-26 13:27     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-10-26 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tuesday 26 October 2010 13:41:23 Jörg Hagmann wrote:
> Something else to consider is the date. Quite a few of us work in
> academia, and the fall term has recently been advanced, at least at many
> European universities, to just about when the ConTeXt meetings are being
> held.
>
> Of course you can't please everybody -- just a suggestion.

Indeed. But this is almost impossible for an international meeting.
Many academics begin their term early September or even at the end of August.
Some finish in May, others as late as the end of July. This leaves early
August.
However, many salaired workers can only take their vacation at that time...
So, no date is ideal!

Alan

* Re: ideas for ConTeXt meetings
@ 2010-10-26 20:09   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-10-26 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2010-10-26 um 11:46 schrieb Alan BRASLAU:

> On Tuesday 26 October 2010 09:31:25 Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>
>> If we meet less far off than Brejlov or Porquerolles,
>
> Far from where?
> Canada or South Africa, just to name a few places from which
> participants
> came...
>
> In organizing an international meeting, it is always a delicate
> balance in
> choosing a site...

I didn't want to criticize the choice of venues - Mlýn Brejlov was
great, and Porquerolles will most probably also be great.

I just meant, *if we want* to invite "the greater public" (i.e. local
possible TeX users) for a "public day", then there'll be probably more
visitors if we meet in/near a bigger city than at some remote site.