* Correct usage of \placebookmarks
@ 2018-01-18 20:03 Lars
From: Lars @ 2018-01-18 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello there,

I've stumbled upon a behaviour in CTX that I don't fully understand. My
goal is to create a multipage document *without* heads (title, chapter,
etc) but only text. Yet I would like to create bookmarks. So my MWE
looks the following:

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]
\definelist[Marks]
\placebookmarks[Marks][Marks][force=yes]

\starttext

   \bookmark[Marks]{Bookmark one}
   \input tufte

   \page

   \bookmark[Marks]{Bookmark two}
   \input knuth

\stoptext

Yet CTX doesn't create bookmarks in that case. I first have to add a
blank predefined header like chapter or section anywhere in the text:

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]
\definelist[Marks]
\placebookmarks[Marks][Marks][force=yes]

\starttext

   \bookmark[Marks]{Bookmark one}
   \input tufte

   \page

   \bookmark[Marks]{Bookmark two}
   \input knuth

   \startchapter[title={},marking={}]
   \stopchapter

\stoptext

Although I haven't added chapter key to \placebookmarks, so that it also
doesn't show up in the bookmarks window, only then CTX seems to create
bookmarks for the list which I created called Marks.

Is there a way to circumvent this? I'd like boomarks only where I place
them manually, without using headers.

Thanks in advance, Lars.

* Re: Correct usage of \placebookmarks
@ 2018-01-18 20:41 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2018-01-18 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2018-01-18 um 21:03 schrieb Lars <axteffekt@gmail.com>:

> Yet CTX doesn't create bookmarks in that case. I first have to add a blank predefined header like chapter or section anywhere in the text:

Sometimes
\enabledirectives[references.bookmarks.preroll]
helps. Didn’t check with your example, though.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Fwd: Correct usage of \placebookmarks
@ 2018-01-24  6:26 ` Lars
From: Lars @ 2018-01-24  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Bumb

Betreff: 	Correct usage of \placebookmarks
Datum: 	Thu, 18 Jan 2018 21:03:41 +0100
Von: 	Lars <axteffekt@gmail.com>
An: 	ntg-context@ntg.nl

@ 2018-01-26  3:37   ` Lars
From: Lars @ 2018-01-26  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am I being ignored personally here?

[...]

* Re: Fwd: Correct usage of \placebookmarks
@ 2018-01-26  5:10     ` Henri
From: Henri @ 2018-01-26  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Am I being ignored personally here?
Why so impatient?  I was once bumping a thread for half a year with until Hans
fixed it.

It there any reason not to use a head?

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]
\placebookmarks[Marks][Marks][force=yes]

\definehead
  [Marks]
  [subject]
  [placehead=empty,
   before={},
   after={}]

\starttext

  \Marks[title={Bookmark one}]
  \input tufte

  \page

  \Marks[title={Bookmark two}]
  \input knuth

\stoptext

@ 2018-01-26 11:59       ` Lars
From: Lars @ 2018-01-26 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 26/01/2018 um 06:10 schrieb Henri:
>> Am I being ignored personally here?
> Why so impatient?  I was once bumping a thread for half a year with until Hans
> fixed it.

Well, that's what I call patience. I don't want to be offensive, yet
there are several reasons which lead to my assumption, which I'd rather
not discuss at this point.

> It there any reason not to use a head?

Yes there is. It's a multi-page letter in which I simply don't use
heads. A second scenario is the merging of several PDF documents into
one, again without using heads. So far I've been using third-party
software to create bookmarks. Yet I'd like to keep my working
environment as minimaistic as possible (editor, CTX). I'd love to
believe that CTX is powerful enough to achieve that goal.

> \setupinteraction[state=start]
> \setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]
> \placebookmarks[Marks][Marks][force=yes]
>
> \definehead
>    [Marks]
>    [subject]
>    [placehead=empty,
>     before={},
>     after={}]
>
> \starttext
>
>    \Marks[title={Bookmark one}]
>    \input tufte
>
>    \page
>
>    \Marks[title={Bookmark two}]
>    \input knuth
>
> \stoptext

That's all I wanted, just some advice. Even a "it's not possible at this
time" would have been satisfing. I will test your code as soon as I'm
home and report on it.

Thank you very much Henri. Cheers.

@ 2018-01-26 12:34         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-01-26 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/26/2018 12:59 PM, Lars wrote:
> Am 26/01/2018 um 06:10 schrieb Henri:
>>> Am I being ignored personally here?
>> Why so impatient?  I was once bumping a thread for half a year with
>> until Hans
>> fixed it.
>
> Well, that's what I call patience. I don't want to be offensive, yet
> there are several reasons which lead to my assumption, which I'd rather
> not discuss at this point.

Bookmarks and especially interference with structure is a tricky thing
and not many users know all the details so sometimes you have to wait
till someone has time to answer (personally i never use bookmarks so
when i see such a mail i just wait till someone else answers ...).

Normally answers on this list are rather fast so when you don't get one,
(1) maybe no one knows the answer yet, (2) your question moved out of
the view in the mailer (happens to me), (3) those who know are busy and
answering questions is normally not in ones job discription.

As Henri says: if after a while you still have no answer (or figured it
out) just bump the question.

Hans

* Re: Correct usage of \placebookmarks
@ 2018-01-26 18:53         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2018-01-26 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2018-01-26 um 12:59 schrieb Lars <axteffekt@gmail.com>:

> Am 26/01/2018 um 06:10 schrieb Henri:
>>> Am I being ignored personally here?
>> Why so impatient?  I was once bumping a thread for half a year with until Hans
>> fixed it.
>
> Well, that's what I call patience. I don't want to be offensive, yet there are several reasons which lead to my assumption, which I'd rather not discuss at this point.

I also sometimes get the impression that my requests are ignored until I become pushy. But I’m quite sure it’s mostly just the complexity of my questions (or maybe lack in clearness) that decreases the answering priority, nothing personal.

Myself I’m usually only active on this mailing list while I work on ConTeXt projects myself (which is becoming more frequent again).

>> It there any reason not to use a head?
>
> Yes there is. It's a multi-page letter in which I simply don't use heads. A second scenario is the merging of several PDF documents into one, again without using heads. So far I've been using third-party software to create bookmarks. Yet I'd like to keep my working environment as minimaistic as possible (editor, CTX). I'd love to believe that CTX is powerful enough to achieve that goal.
>

>> \setupinteraction[state=start]
>> \setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]
>> \placebookmarks[Marks][Marks][force=yes]
>>
>> \definehead
>>   [Marks]
>>   [subject]
>>   [placehead=empty,
>>    before={},
>>    after={}]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>>   \Marks[title={Bookmark one}]
>>   \input tufte
>>      \page
>>      \Marks[title={Bookmark two}]
>>   \input knuth
>>
>> \stoptext
>
> That's all I wanted, just some advice. Even a "it's not possible at this time" would have been satisfing. I will test your code as soon as I'm home and report on it.

Often the command argument is a useful hack, like:

\define[2]\MyChap{\relax}
\setuphead[chapter][command=\MyChap]

Greetlings, Hraban
---