* Bib module and prefix=+
@ 2007-02-06 13:00 Robin Kirkham
From: Robin Kirkham @ 2007-02-06 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

How can the bib module and \setuphead[chapter][prefix=+] be made to
coexist?  The following example works, but if you uncomment the
\setuphead, the citations are broken and the reference list vanishes:

\setupoutput[pdftex]

% uncomment this line and it breaks
%\setuphead[chapter][prefix=+]

\usemodule[bib]
\usemodule[bibltx]
\setupbibtex[database={xampl.bib}]
\setuppublications[refcommand=num]

% makes no real difference
%\setuppublicationlist[title=\chapter]

\version[temporary]

\starttext

\chapter[chapt]{A Chapter}

Some citations: \cite[article-full] \cite[inbook-full] \cite[manual-
full].
This is chapter~\in[chapt].

\completepublications[criterium=all]

\stoptext

Any help much appreciated!

PS: The following old mailing list article appears to describe the
same problem, but the symptoms are different (citations disappear,
but reference list does not)

     http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/
20010516.173217.113e3787.en.html

Robin

* Re: Bib module and prefix=+
@ 2007-02-06 13:46 ` Dave
From: Dave @ 2007-02-06 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Robin,

This sounds quite similar to the problem I posted yesterday where:

  \setuphead[chapter][ownnumber=yes]

makes

    \placepublications[criterium=chapter]

fail silently.  Taco has taken a look at it and written me off the list but
there isn't a solution yet.

Cheers,
Dave

On 2/6/07, Robin Kirkham <robin.kirkham@csiro.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can the bib module and \setuphead[chapter][prefix=+] be made to
> coexist?  The following example works, but if you uncomment the
> \setuphead, the citations are broken and the reference list vanishes:
>
> \setupoutput[pdftex]
>
> % uncomment this line and it breaks
> %\setuphead[chapter][prefix=+]
>
> \usemodule[bib]
> \usemodule[bibltx]
> \setupbibtex[database={xampl.bib}]
> \setuppublications[refcommand=num]
>
> % makes no real difference
> %\setuppublicationlist[title=\chapter]
>
> \version[temporary]
>
> \starttext
>
> \chapter[chapt]{A Chapter}
>
> Some citations: \cite[article-full] \cite[inbook-full] \cite[manual-
> full].
> This is chapter~\in[chapt].
>
> \completepublications[criterium=all]
>
> \stoptext
>

> Any help much appreciated!
>
> PS: The following old mailing list article appears to describe the
> same problem, but the symptoms are different (citations disappear,
> but reference list does not)
>
>      http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/
> 20010516.173217.113e3787.en.html
>
> Robin

* Re: Bib module and prefix=+
@ 2007-02-07  8:14   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-02-07  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
> This sounds quite similar to the problem I posted yesterday where:
>
>  \setuphead[chapter][ownnumber=yes]
>
> makes
>
>    \placepublications[criterium=chapter]
>
> fail silently.  Taco has taken a look at it and written me off the list but
> there isn't a solution yet.

I narrowed this down to my redefinition of the \dosetfilterlevel macro.

But I need that redefinition,  because otherwise \cite in frontmatter
and appendices (where the numbers are alphabetic or romannumerals)
doesn't work.

Can you both try to see if this version fixes the problems?
(one new line)

\unprotect
\def\patcheddosetfilterlevel#1#2%
   {\bgroup
    \let\@@shortsectionnumber\@@sectionvalue % NEW
    \ignoresectionconversion
    \edef\askedlevel{#1}%
    \edef\askedfilter{#2}%
    \ifx\askedlevel\v!current
      \dosetcurrentlevel\askedlevel
    \else\ifx\askedlevel\v!previous
      \dosetpreviouslevel\askedlevel
    \else\ifx\askedlevel\v!all
      \global\chardef\alltoclevels\plusone
    \else\ifx\askedlevel\v!text
      \global\chardef\alltoclevels\plusone
    \else
      \edef\byaskedlevel{\csname\??by\askedlevel\endcsname}%
      \ifx\byaskedlevel\v!text
        \dosettextlevel\askedlevel
      \else
        \dosetotherlevel\askedlevel
      \fi
    \fi\fi\fi\fi
    \ifx\askedfilter\empty \else
      \xdef\currentlevel{\currentlevel\sectionseparator\askedfilter}%
    \fi
    \egroup}
\protect

Best, Taco

* Re: Bib module and prefix=+
@ 2007-02-07 12:56 ` Robin Kirkham
From: Robin Kirkham @ 2007-02-07 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Taco,

I tried this (in t-bib.tex and separately my test file) and I'm
afraid it did not fix my problem (no change at all). Please let me
know if there is anything else I should try.

Robin

* Re: Bib module and prefix=+
@ 2007-02-07 13:40   ` Dave
From: Dave @ 2007-02-07 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

Sorry, no luck here as well.  I tried the same as Robin... patched
t-bib.texwithout the 'protect' and also tried locally in the attached
component.

Thanks Taco,
Dave

On 2/7/07, Robin Kirkham <robin.kirkham@csiro.au> wrote:

> Hi Taco,
>
> I tried this (in t-bib.tex and separately my test file) and I'm
> afraid it did not fix my problem (no change at all). Please let me
> know if there is anything else I should try.
>
> Robin
>

> > Author: Taco Hoekwater
> > Date: 2007-02-07 19:14 +1100
> > Subject: Re: [NTG-context] Bib module and prefix=+
> >
> > Dave wrote:
> > > Hi Robin,
> > >
> > > This sounds quite similar to the problem I posted yesterday where:
> > >
> > > \setuphead[chapter][ownnumber=yes]
> > >
> > > makes
> > >
> > > \placepublications[criterium=chapter]
> > >
> > > fail silently. Taco has taken a look at it and written me off the
> > list but
> > > there isn't a solution yet.
> >
> > I narrowed this down to my redefinition of the \dosetfilterlevel
> > macro.
> >
> > But I need that redefinition, because otherwise \cite in frontmatter
> > and appendices (where the numbers are alphabetic or romannumerals)
> > doesn't work.
> >
> > Can you both try to see if this version fixes the problems?
> > (one new line)
> >
> > \unprotect
> > \def\patcheddosetfilterlevel#1#2%
> >    {\bgroup
> >     \let\@@shortsectionnumber\@@sectionvalue % NEW
> >     \ignoresectionconversion
> >     \edef\askedlevel{#1}%
> >     \edef\askedfilter{#2}%
> >     \ifx\askedlevel\v!current
> >       \dosetcurrentlevel\askedlevel
> >     \else\ifx\askedlevel\v!previous
> >       \dosetpreviouslevel\askedlevel
> >     \else\ifx\askedlevel\v!all
> >       \global\chardef\alltoclevels\plusone
> >     \else\ifx\askedlevel\v!text
> >       \global\chardef\alltoclevels\plusone
> >     \else
> >       \edef\byaskedlevel{\csname\??by\askedlevel\endcsname}%
> >       \ifx\byaskedlevel\v!text
> >         \dosettextlevel\askedlevel
> >       \else
> >         \dosetotherlevel\askedlevel
> >       \fi
> >     \fi\fi\fi\fi
> >     \ifx\askedfilter\empty \else
> >       \xdef\currentlevel{\currentlevel\sectionseparator\askedfilter}%
> >     \fi
> >     \egroup}
> > \protect
> >

> > Best, Taco

[-- Attachment #2: test.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 98153 bytes --]

* Re: Bib module and prefix=+
@ 2007-02-07 14:22     ` Dave
From: Dave @ 2007-02-07 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry Taco, I wrote before consuming my second mug of coffee.  I updated my
test.zip file when I intended to overwrite it and obviously didn't actually
look at the PDF output.  The fix _does_ work for me (both in my test
directory and for my original project).  From the attached:

  texexec --pdf test_bib
  texexec --pdf cmp_test_bib
  texexec --pdf prd_test

I tried with '\setuphead[chapter][prefix=+]' (i.e. Robin's issue) and
\placepublications still silently fails.

  texexec --pdf test_bib_robin

Cheers,
Dave

Attached: test.zip
  test_bib_robin.tex (deflated 57%)
  test_bib.tex (deflated 57%)
  prj_test.tex (deflated 59%)
  prd_test.tex (deflated 53%)
  cmp_test_bib.tex (deflated 46%)
  test.bib (deflated 52%)

On 2/7/07, Dave <confused.scientist@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Taco,
>
> Sorry, no luck here as well.  I tried the same as Robin... patched
> t-bib.tex without the 'protect' and also tried locally in the attached
> component.
>
> Thanks Taco,
> Dave
>
> On 2/7/07, Robin Kirkham <robin.kirkham@csiro.au> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Taco,
> >
> > I tried this (in t-bib.tex and separately my test file) and I'm
> > afraid it did not fix my problem (no change at all). Please let me
> > know if there is anything else I should try.
> >
> > Robin
> >

> > > Author: Taco Hoekwater
> > > Date: 2007-02-07 19:14 +1100
> > > Subject: Re: [NTG-context] Bib module and prefix=+

> > > list but
> > >
> > > I narrowed this down to my redefinition of the \dosetfilterlevel
> > > macro.
> > >
> > > But I need that redefinition, because otherwise \cite in frontmatter
> > > and appendices (where the numbers are alphabetic or romannumerals)
> > > doesn't work.
> > >
> > > Can you both try to see if this version fixes the problems?
> > > (one new line)
> > >
> > > \unprotect
> > > \def\patcheddosetfilterlevel#1#2%
> > >    {\bgroup
> > >     \let\@@shortsectionnumber\@@sectionvalue % NEW
> > >     \ignoresectionconversion
> > >     \edef\askedlevel{#1}%
> > >     \edef\askedfilter{#2}%
> > >     \ifx\askedlevel\v!current
> > >       \dosetcurrentlevel\askedlevel
> > >     \else\ifx\askedlevel\v!previous
> > >       \dosetpreviouslevel\askedlevel
> > >     \else\ifx\askedlevel\v!all
> > >       \global\chardef\alltoclevels\plusone
> > >     \else\ifx\askedlevel\v!text
> > >       \global\chardef\alltoclevels\plusone
> > >     \else
> > >       \edef\byaskedlevel{\csname\??by\askedlevel\endcsname}%
> > >       \ifx\byaskedlevel\v!text
> > >         \dosettextlevel\askedlevel
> > >       \else
> > >         \dosetotherlevel\askedlevel
> > >       \fi
> > >     \fi\fi\fi\fi
> > >     \ifx\askedfilter\empty \else
> > >       \xdef\currentlevel{\currentlevel\sectionseparator\askedfilter}%
> > >     \fi
> > >     \egroup}
> > > \protect
> > >

> > > Best, Taco

[-- Attachment #2: test.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 3311 bytes --]

* Re: Bib module and prefix=+
@ 2008-12-19  2:25       ` Dave
From: Dave @ 2008-12-19  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just upgraded to the latest and greatest version and found that my
previous fixes for a bibliography quirk no longer work.  Taco, do you have
any ideas on why this is failing again?
Attached is the same zip file.  Things to try:
texexec --pdf test_bib
texexec --pdf cmp_test_bib
texexec --pdf prd_test
texexec --pdf test_bib_robin

I'm getting failures with a dubious error of:

section         : 5.2 References
! Missing } inserted.
<inserted text>
                }
<to be read again>
                   \dostopattributes
<argument> ...etapublication {test1:2001}\strut }}
                                                  \egroup \ifdim \wd
4=\zero...
\secondoftwoarguments #1#2->#2
\dosomelistelement ...hss \dostoplistattributes }}
                                                  \endgraf \nointerlineskip
\dodolistelement ...ement {#1}{#2}{#3}{#4}{#5}{#6}
                                                  \global \utilitydonetrue
l.69 \placepublications[criterium=chapter]

@ 2008-12-19  8:52         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-12-19  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave wrote:
> I've just upgraded to the latest and greatest version and found that my
> previous fixes for a bibliography quirk no longer work.

> Taco, do you have any ideas on why this is failing again?

Probably that fix was patching an internal macro the handling of
which has changed in the context core. Just a guess, though.

I have no time today to delve into this, sorry. As I wrote to
Aditya last week, you will probably have to wait until January.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Bib module and prefix=+
@ 2008-12-19 12:15           ` Dave