From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
To: Ulrike Fischer <news3@nililand.de>,
Subject: Re: accessing glyphs in the private area
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2018 22:42:41 +0200	[thread overview]

On 10/1/2018 7:55 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Mon, 1 Oct 2018 19:29:40 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>>> \DeclareTextGlyphY{LinBiolinum_K}{uniE18C}{57740}
>
>> A funny definition ... is that access by name or number?
>
> By number, it uses \char at the end to get the glyph.
>
>> Anyway, for generic (so not for context) I can keep these glyphs in the
>> 0xE000-0xEFFF range for now
>
> That would be great. Thanks.
>
> What about the rest and the other PUA's?
> U+F000–U+F8FF, U+F0000–U+FFFFD, U+100000–U+10FFFD

only U+F000–U+F8FF as i'm not in the mood writing code that skips over
the other ones (we need code points for alternaties and such and i also
need consistent room for virtual chars) ... so, if someone really needs
those slots he/she should remap them somehow

if you really want i can keep their names if there are names (UniXXXXXX)
but that would mean way more mem for cjk fonts (then it's all or nothing
for latex, as for plain generic i won't do that anyway)

but i don't expect those areas to be used for useable glyphs

(in fact, i would probably never rely on numbers in such private areas
myself or write some plug into the loader that would remap them to areas
i want them in .. i prefer glyph names)

> And when will the change be available? I will have to update
> luaotfload.

dunno, when i have some more to upload (sometime this week)

>> (also the names so larger files ... actually
>> a mess as that font has Uni and uni so who's to know).
>
> It is not only that font. Actually the libertine package broke,
> fontawesome broke, and Coelacanth was only used by Thérèse in the
> example as it is free, her real problem was with using Goudy
> fleurons.

in context i strongly advice against using numbers instead of names

> The private use area is there for every font to use. And quite often
> they document this code points and tools like fontforge show them.
> I don't think that it is a good idea if an application comes along
> and pushes the glyphs from the seats because it wants the space for
> itself.

well, we do need space in a valid area

>> I have no clue if it clashes with some features at some point so
>> that you can use numbers but probably those features are context
>> specific anyway.
>
> For what do you reserve the space in the PUA?
all kind of stuff (for instance we have to put substitutes, alternates
etc somewhere; i also have been using it for virtual math fonst for over
a decade now) and i'm definitely not going to move around all kind of
already used slots around now (i might do that some day as i do have
some abstract model but then i also do to need a lot of testing)

i also need the same slots in all fonts for some purposes so i need some
shared private space

(in fact, if i need the higher space glyphs i can always decide to use
names but first i need to run into a real font using these slots in
order to see what is the impact)

Hans