Thank you very much. That completely clarifies it. Hans van der Meer On 5 jul. 2012, at 12:55, Aditya Mahajan wrote: On Thu, 5 Jul 2012, Meer, H. van der wrote: Indeed, the align does the trick. But what is the raison d'être of coupling the behaviour of \\ to the align parameter? I wouldn't have known out but for your reply. Is it something to add to the wiki on framed? (sorry, I am not apt at these things myself, too old ;-). Or can it be done generally? Without align={normal|middle|left|right}, \framed is equal to \hbox. You cannot have line breaks in a \hbox. With align=something, \framed is a \vbox, so you can have line breaks. Aditya