* Rebuild formats in Gerben's context distro
@ 2006-08-02 21:05 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-08-02 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

Has anyone ever rebuilt the formats in Gerben's context distro for
the Mac? Usually, I just wait for and update and use the Context
updater, but I have need to know how to rebuild the formats today.

If anyone knows how on the Mac, please advise.

Thanks.

* Re: Rebuild formats in Gerben's context distro
@ 2006-08-02 21:27 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-08-02 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 2, 2006, at 11:05 PM, David Arnold wrote:

> All,
>
> Has anyone ever rebuilt the formats in Gerben's context distro for
> the Mac? Usually, I just wait for and update and use the Context
> updater, but I have need to know how to rebuild the formats today.
>
> If anyone knows how on the Mac, please advise.
>
> Thanks.

Yes, I rebuild them whenever a new version comes out, so about twice
a day...

My own experience is: it's perfectly smooth, and if there were
problems, they weren't specific to the Mac. If you want the formats
to be copied into the system-wide tree (that's /usr/local/teTeX/texmf/
texmf.local/web2c) instead of your personal ~/Library/texmf/ and are
using the new texmfstart method, you should invoke the script from a
root shell:

sudo su

texmfstart texexec --make --all

Other than that, I can't think of anything special.

Good luck

Thomas

* Re: Rebuild formats in Gerben's context distro
@ 2006-08-02 21:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-02 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> All,
>
> Has anyone ever rebuilt the formats in Gerben's context distro for
> the Mac? Usually, I just wait for and update and use the Context
> updater, but I have need to know how to rebuild the formats today.
>
> If anyone knows how on the Mac, please advise.

hm, i'll make you a beta which then will show up in gerbens distro

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-08-02 21:37   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-02 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Aug 2, 2006, at 11:05 PM, David Arnold wrote:
>

>> All,
>>
>> Has anyone ever rebuilt the formats in Gerben's context distro for
>> the Mac? Usually, I just wait for and update and use the Context
>> updater, but I have need to know how to rebuild the formats today.
>>
>> If anyone knows how on the Mac, please advise.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Yes, I rebuild them whenever a new version comes out, so about twice
> a day...

that's even more frequently than i do -)

so you use all new tricks, features and fixes ... interesting

ctxtools --update

should also do the job

but one has to make sure that a next update with gerbens installer does not conflict with your own update then

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-08-02 21:52   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2006-08-02 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 2, 2006, at 5:27 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2006, at 11:05 PM, David Arnold wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Has anyone ever rebuilt the formats in Gerben's context distro for
>> the Mac? Usually, I just wait for and update and use the Context
>> updater, but I have need to know how to rebuild the formats today.
>>
>> If anyone knows how on the Mac, please advise.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Yes, I rebuild them whenever a new version comes out, so about twice
> a day...
>
> My own experience is: it's perfectly smooth, and if there were
> problems, they weren't specific to the Mac. If you want the formats
> to be copied into the system-wide tree (that's /usr/local/teTeX/texmf/
> texmf.local/web2c) instead of your personal ~/Library/texmf/ and are
> using the new texmfstart method, you should invoke the script from a
> root shell:
>
> sudo su
>
> texmfstart texexec --make --all
>
> Other than that, I can't think of anything special.
>
> Good luck
>
> Thomas

After running
sudo texmfstart texexec --make --all
I have on the odd occasion had to copy the updated cont-en.fmt and
cont-nl.fmt  from
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/pdfetex
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c

In any case, check the creation dates/times. When the latest version
was not in the latter, I got format mismatch errors and then nada.

I am not sure why this happened, since I had not done anything other
than run Gerben’s i-Installer.

Alan