* multi-page floats
@ 2012-05-27 14:06 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2012-05-27 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi again,
in my current book project there are sets of full-page graphics, where
there’s first a drawing, to be printed on transparent paper, followed
by a water colour picture as background, i.e. a series of

right page: foreground graphic
right page: background graphic

The transparent pages are left out in pagination.
Between chapters (i.e. stories), the following macro does what I want:

\def\DoublePic#1{
	\page[right] % foreground picture on transparent paper

	\setuppagenumbering[state=stop]\setuppagenumber[state=stop]\par
	\resetlayer[bg]
	\setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1-fore][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight
+6mm)]}
	\setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
	\strut\par % page needs some content

	\page[right] % background picture on normal paper

	\setuppagenumber[state=start]\par
	\resetlayer[bg]
	\setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1-back][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight
+6mm)]}
	\setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
	\strut\par

	\page
	\setuppagenumbering[state=start]
}

Now, the publisher would like to move the picture pages in the middle
of the stories, i.e. I need them to float "here" without manual page
breaking.
How can I achieve that?

I’d also appreciate enhancements to my macro above.

(MkIV latest beta on OSX Intel.)

Thank you very much in advance!

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: multi-page floats
@ 2012-05-28 17:27 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-05-28 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27-5-2012 16:06, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Hi again,
> in my current book project there are sets of full-page graphics, where
> there’s first a drawing, to be printed on transparent paper, followed by
> a water colour picture as background, i.e. a series of
>
> right page: foreground graphic
> right page: background graphic
>
> The transparent pages are left out in pagination.
> Between chapters (i.e. stories), the following macro does what I want:
>
> \def\DoublePic#1{
> \page[right] % foreground picture on transparent paper
>
> \setuppagenumbering[state=stop]\setuppagenumber[state=stop]\par
> \resetlayer[bg]
> \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1-fore][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
> \strut\par % page needs some content
>
> \page[right] % background picture on normal paper
>
> \setuppagenumber[state=start]\par
> \resetlayer[bg]
> \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1-back][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
> \strut\par
>
> \page
> \setuppagenumbering[state=start]
> }
>

> Now, the publisher would like to move the picture pages in the middle of
> the stories, i.e. I need them to float "here" without manual page breaking.
> How can I achieve that?
>
> I’d also appreciate enhancements to my macro above.
>
> (MkIV latest beta on OSX Intel.)
>
> Thank you very much in advance!

\startpostponing

might help (you can add [pagenumber] or [+pagenumber] if needed)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: multi-page floats
@ 2012-05-28 19:47   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2012-05-28 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2012-05-28 um 19:27 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> \startpostponing
>
> might help (you can add [pagenumber] or [+pagenumber] if needed)

Oh, of course, Philipp Gesang recently reminded me.
I would like to use \startpostponing[right], but fixed pages are ok.

This works:

\starttext

\startpostponing[3]
	\section{Tufte}
	\input tufte
	\strut

	\page
	\strut

	\page

	\section{More Tufte}
	\input tufte

	\page
\stoppostponing

\dorecurse{30}{
	\section{Knuth \recurselevel}
	\input knuth
}

\stoptext

But if I try to put graphics in layers within the postponing, I get
empty pages.
Further, if I put that postponing stuff into a macro (see below), I
get errors about \par ending the buffer. I guess I’d need some
unexpanding, but where?
Without \def, I get 2 (instead of 3) empty pages, but with page
numbers. I need to switch off the pagenumbering for the first two
pages (because it’s a transparent page that doesn’t count); it’s
probably also a problem fixed-page postponing...

\def\DoublePicAt#1#2{
	\startpostponing[#2]
	\setuppagenumbering[state=stop]\setuppagenumber[state=stop]

	\resetlayer[bg]
	\setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
	\setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
	\strut

	\page %[right] doesn’t work
	\strut

	\page

	\setuppagenumber[state=start]

	\resetlayer[bg]
	\setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1-hg][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight
+6mm)]}
	\setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
	\strut

	\page
	\setuppagenumbering[state=start]
	\stoppostponing
}

Thanks in advance!

Greetlings, Hraban

* Re: multi-page floats
@ 2012-05-31 18:25     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2012-05-31 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, some days later I'm still not where I'd like to be (and my
deadline is overdue).
Let’s resume:

A running text is to be interrupted by spans of 3 pages.
Postponing (\startpostponing) works well for that, but I need to
switch off page numbering on two of that 3 pages - as far as I tried,
\setuppagenumbering as well as \setuppagenumber doesn’t work within
postponed sections.

Further, these pages contain full-page pictures, i.e. I need them
bleeding off the paper.
Normally, \setlayer works well for that, but I couldn’t get layers
working within postponed sections.

Since I need these interruptions several times in a very similar way,
I \def’ed that postponing stuff as a macro, but get errors that point
to expanding problems (I never get those).

I’d appreciate some pointers in which direction I should think/
investigate further.
E.g.
- are there alternatives to postponing? perhaps multi-page floats (but
at defined pages)?
- is there a possibility for bleeding full-page pictures without layers?
- can it work at all to change page numbering within a postponed page
span?

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2012-05-31 21:48       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-05-31 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-5-2012 20:25, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Ok, some days later I'm still not where I'd like to be (and my deadline
> is overdue).
> Let’s resume:
>
> A running text is to be interrupted by spans of 3 pages.
> Postponing (\startpostponing) works well for that, but I need to switch
> off page numbering on two of that 3 pages - as far as I tried,
> \setuppagenumbering as well as \setuppagenumber doesn’t work within
> postponed sections.
>
> Further, these pages contain full-page pictures, i.e. I need them
> bleeding off the paper.
> Normally, \setlayer works well for that, but I couldn’t get layers
> working within postponed sections.
>
> Since I need these interruptions several times in a very similar way, I
> \def’ed that postponing stuff as a macro, but get errors that point to
> expanding problems (I never get those).
>
> I’d appreciate some pointers in which direction I should
> think/investigate further.
> E.g.
> - are there alternatives to postponing? perhaps multi-page floats (but
> at defined pages)?
> - is there a possibility for bleeding full-page pictures without layers?
> - can it work at all to change page numbering within a postponed page span?

maybe

\starttext

page 1

\page

\startmakeup[page]
     page a
\stopmakeup

\startmakeup[page]
     page b
\stopmakeup

\startmakeup[page]
     page d
\stopmakeup

page 2

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: multi-page floats
@ 2012-06-04 12:03         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2012-06-04 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2012-05-31 um 23:48 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 31-5-2012 20:25, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> Ok, some days later I'm still not where I'd like to be (and my
>> deadline
>> is overdue).
>> Let’s resume:
>>
>> A running text is to be interrupted by spans of 3 pages.
>> Postponing (\startpostponing) works well for that, but I need to
>> switch
>> off page numbering on two of that 3 pages - as far as I tried,
>> \setuppagenumbering as well as \setuppagenumber doesn’t work within
>> postponed sections.
>>
>> Further, these pages contain full-page pictures, i.e. I need them
>> bleeding off the paper.
>> Normally, \setlayer works well for that, but I couldn’t get layers
>> working within postponed sections.
>>
>> Since I need these interruptions several times in a very similar
>> way, I
>> \def’ed that postponing stuff as a macro, but get errors that point
>> expanding problems (I never get those).
>>
>> I’d appreciate some pointers in which direction I should
>> think/investigate further.
>> E.g.
>> - are there alternatives to postponing? perhaps multi-page floats
>> (but
>> at defined pages)?
>> - is there a possibility for bleeding full-page pictures without
>> layers?
>> - can it work at all to change page numbering within a postponed
>> page span?
>
> maybe
>
> \startmakeup[page]
>    page a
> \stopmakeup

Good hint. I setup:

\definemakeup[rightpage][page=right]
\definemakeup[leftpage][page=left]

and get empty right/left pages from within my macro.

Can I control if the content after a markup starts on a right or left
page?

Further, if I try to use postponing in a macro, I get errors:

--- *** ---
Runaway argument?
\dorecur\section{K\ETC. \stoppostponing
! File ended while scanning use of \buff_gobble.

system          > tex > error on line 0 in file : File ended while
scanning use of \buff_gobble ...

<empty file>

<inserted text>
                 \par
<*> ./postpone
                \stoptext
--- *** ---

I guess I need to unexpand something?

My example:

--- *** ---

\def\TestPostpone#1{
	\startpostponing[#1]
	\strut
	\page
	\stoppostponing
}

\starttext

\TestPostpone{3}

@ 2012-06-05 12:00           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2012-06-05 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for coming back again and again, but I’m still stuck, and my
deadline is overdue.

* I need full-page pictures on defined pages in the middle of a chapter.

* I don’t care if I must define "on page x" or "on the next right page
after the current paragraph".

- The only way for full-page pictures (i.e. bleeding over the page)
that I know of is layers.
- The only way to interrupt a story with full-page content that I know
of is postponing.
(makeups were a dead end so far - maybe they can help to get to a
right page withput using \page[right])

While each works for itself, I can’t get layers working within
postponing.

And when that works, I need to wrap it in a macro, since I alway need
to define and postpone three sequential pages.

Without postponing, this works:

--- *** ---
\definelayer[bg][x=0mm,y=-3mm,width=\dimexpr(\paperwidth+3mm),height=
\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]
%\definemakeup[rightpage][page=right]

\def\DoublePic#1{
	%\startmakeup[rightpage] % error!
	\page[right]
	\resetlayer[bg]
	\setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
	\setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
	\strut

	%\stopmakeup

	% empty back of the first picture, since it’s printed on transparent
paper
	%\startmakeup[rightpage] % error!
	\page[right]

	\resetlayer[bg]
	\setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1-hg][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight
+6mm)]}
	\setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
	\strut

	%\stopmakeup
	\page
}

\starttext

\input tufte

\DoublePic{koe}

\input knuth

\stoptext

--- *** ---

This doesn’t:

--- *** ---
\definelayer[bg][x=0mm,y=-3mm,width=\dimexpr(\paperwidth+3mm),height=
\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]

\def\DoublePicAt#1#2{
	\startpostponing[#2]
	\page[right] % tried also makeups...

	\resetlayer[bg]
	\setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
	\setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
	\strut

	\page[right]
	\setuppagenumber[state=start]

	\resetlayer[bg]
	\setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1-back][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight
+6mm)]}
	\setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
	\strut
	\page
	\stoppostponing
}

\starttext

\DoublePicAt{hacker}{5}

\dorecurse{30}{
	\section{Knuth \recurselevel}
	\input knuth
}

\stoptext

--- *** ---

Can you show me a way to use layers within postponing, please?

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2012-06-05 12:33             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-06-05 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> wrote:
> [...]
>        \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
>        \setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
>        \strut
>
>        \page[right]
>        \setuppagenumber[state=start]
>
>        \resetlayer[bg]
>
>  \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1-back][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
>
>        \setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
>        \strut
>        \page
>        \stoppostponing
> }
>
> \starttext
>
> \DoublePicAt{hacker}{5}
>

> \dorecurse{30}{
>        \section{Knuth \recurselevel}
>        \input knuth
> }
>
> \stoptext
>
> --- *** ---
>
> Can you show me a way to use layers within postponing, please?
A first step --- still quite similar to your macro. Hope it helps just for now.

\definelayer[bg][x=0mm,y=-3mm,width=\dimexpr(\paperwidth+3mm),height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]

\def\DoublePicAt#1#2{
       %\startpostponing[#2]
       \page[right] % tried also makeups...
       \resetlayer[bg]
       \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
       \setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
       \strut

       \page[right]
       \setuppagenumber[state=start]

       \resetlayer[bg]
       \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1-back][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}

       \setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
       \strut
       \page
       %\stoppostponing
}

\starttext
\startpostponing[5]
\DoublePicAt{hacker}{5}

--
luigi

* Re: multi-page floats
@ 2012-06-05 12:42               ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-06-05 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Another one

\definelayer[bg][x=0mm,y=-3mm,width=\dimexpr(\paperwidth+3mm),height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]

\unexpanded\def\DoDoublePicAt#1{
       \page[right] % tried also makeups...
       \resetlayer[bg]
       \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
       \setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
       \strut

       \page[right]
       \setuppagenumber[state=start]

       \resetlayer[bg]
       \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1-back][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}

       \setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
       \strut
       \page
}

\def\DoublePicAt#1#2{
\startpostponing[#2]
\DoDoublePicAt{#1}
\stoppostponing
}

@ 2012-06-05 15:59               ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2012-06-05 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2012-06-05 um 14:33 schrieb luigi scarso:
>> Can you show me a way to use layers within postponing, please?
> A first step --- still quite similar to your macro. Hope it helps
> just for now.

Thank you! Good hint to de-couple postponing and the rest.

\page[right] doesn’t work with this version, but \page\strut\page does.

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2012-06-05 16:01                 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2012-06-05 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2012-06-05 um 14:42 schrieb luigi scarso:

> Another one

> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
> \definelayer[bg][x=0mm,y=-3mm,width=\dimexpr(\paperwidth+3mm),height=
> \dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]
>
> \unexpanded\def\DoDoublePicAt#1{
>       \page[right] % tried also makeups...
>       \resetlayer[bg]
>       \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight
> +6mm)]}
>       \setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
>       \strut
>
>       \page[right]
>       \setuppagenumber[state=start]
>
>       \resetlayer[bg]
>       \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1-back][height=
> \dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
>
>       \setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
>       \strut
>       \page
> }
>
> \def\DoublePicAt#1#2{
> \startpostponing[#2]
> \DoDoublePicAt{#1}
> \stoppostponing
> }
>

> \starttext
> \DoublePicAt{hacker}{5}
>
> \dorecurse{30}{
>       \section{Knuth \recurselevel}
>       \input knuth
> }
>
> \stoptext

Thank you again, but, did you test that? I get:

)
Runaway argument?
\dorecur\section{\ETC.r} \stoppostponing
! File ended while scanning use of \buff_gobble.

system          > tex > error on line 4 in file /Users/hraban/Library/
texmf/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-yes.mkiv: File ended
while scanning use of \buff_gobble ...

  1     %D \module
  2     %D   [       file=cont-yes,
  3     %D        version=2012.06.01,
  4 >>  %D          title=\CONTEXT\ Miscellaneous Macros,
  5     %D       subtitle=Startup Stub,
  6     %D         author=Hans Hagen,
  7     %D           date=\currentdate,
  8     %D      copyright={PRAGMA ADE \& \CONTEXT\ Development Team}]
  9     %C
10     %C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
11     %C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See mreadme.pdf for
12     %C details.
13
14     % At some point I will reconsider the \starttext .. \stoptext

<inserted text>
                 \par
l.4 }

}   context.finishjob()

\luat_start_lua_code_indeed ...ua \zerocount {#1}}

l.70 \stopluacode

?

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2012-06-05 16:08                   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-06-05 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> wrote:
> Am 2012-06-05 um 14:42 schrieb luigi scarso:
>

>> Another one
>

>> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>>
>> \definelayer[bg][x=0mm,y=-3mm,width=\dimexpr(\paperwidth+3mm),height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]
>>
>> \unexpanded\def\DoDoublePicAt#1{
>>      \page[right] % tried also makeups...
>>      \resetlayer[bg]
>>      \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
>>      \setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
>>      \strut
>>
>>      \page[right]
>>      \setuppagenumber[state=start]
>>
>>      \resetlayer[bg]
>>
>>  \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1-back][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
>>
>>      \setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
>>      \strut
>>      \page
>> }
>>
>> \def\DoublePicAt#1#2{
>> \startpostponing[#2]
>> \DoDoublePicAt{#1}
>> \stoppostponing
>> }
>>

>> \starttext
>> \DoublePicAt{hacker}{5}
>>
>> \dorecurse{30}{
>>      \section{Knuth \recurselevel}
>>      \input knuth
>> }
>>
>> \stoptext
>

> Thank you again, but, did you test that? I get:
>
> )
> Runaway argument?
> \dorecur\section{\ETC.r} \stoppostponing
>
> ! File ended while scanning use of \buff_gobble.
Uhm I've tested but maybe I've made a wrong cut and paste.
Re-check now.
--
luigi

* Re: multi-page floats
@ 2012-06-05 16:17                     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-06-05 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> wrote:
>> Am 2012-06-05 um 14:42 schrieb luigi scarso:
>>

>>> Another one
>>

>>> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>>>
>>> \definelayer[bg][x=0mm,y=-3mm,width=\dimexpr(\paperwidth+3mm),height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]
>>>
>>> \unexpanded\def\DoDoublePicAt#1{
>>>      \page[right] % tried also makeups...
>>>      \resetlayer[bg]
>>>      \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
>>>      \setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
>>>      \strut
>>>
>>>      \page[right]
>>>      \setuppagenumber[state=start]
>>>
>>>      \resetlayer[bg]
>>>
>>>  \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1-back][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
>>>
>>>      \setupbackgrounds[page][background=bg]
>>>      \strut
>>>      \page
>>> }
>>>
>>> \def\DoublePicAt#1#2{
>>> \startpostponing[#2]
>>> \DoDoublePicAt{#1}
>>> \stoppostponing
>>> }
>>>

>>> \starttext
>>> \DoublePicAt{hacker}{5}
>>>
>>> \dorecurse{30}{
>>>      \section{Knuth \recurselevel}
>>>      \input knuth
>>> }
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>

>> Thank you again, but, did you test that? I get:
>>
>> )
>> Runaway argument?
>> \dorecur\section{\ETC.r} \stoppostponing
>>
>> ! File ended while scanning use of \buff_gobble.
> Uhm I've tested but maybe I've made a wrong cut and paste.
> Re-check now.
Ah, it 's a side effect of the previous code

--
luigi

* Re: multi-page floats
@ 2012-06-05 17:55             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-06-05 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.06.2012 um 14:00 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:

> Sorry for coming back again and again, but I’m still stuck, and my deadline is overdue.
>
> * I need full-page pictures on defined pages in the middle of a chapter.
>
> * I don’t care if I must define "on page x" or "on the next right page after the current paragraph".
>
> - The only way for full-page pictures (i.e. bleeding over the page) that I know of is layers.
> - The only way to interrupt a story with full-page content that I know of is postponing.
> (makeups were a dead end so far - maybe they can help to get to a right page withput using \page[right])
>
> While each works for itself, I can’t get layers working within postponing.
>
> And when that works, I need to wrap it in a macro, since I alway need to define and postpone three sequential pages.

\starttext

\dorecurse{3}{\input tufte\par}

\startpostponing
\offset
  [x=-\the\dimexpr\backspace+1cm\relax,
   y=-\the\dimexpr\topspace+\headerheight+\headerdistance+1cm\relax]
  {\externalfigure[mill][width=\the\dimexpr\paperwidth+2cm\relax,height=\the\dimexpr\paperheight+2cm\relax]}
\page
\stoppostponing

\dorecurse{5}{\input tufte\par}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: multi-page floats
@ 2012-06-05 18:25                       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2012-06-05 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2012-06-05 um 18:17 schrieb luigi scarso:

>>> ! File ended while scanning use of \buff_gobble.
>> Uhm I've tested but maybe I've made a wrong cut and paste.
>> Re-check now.
> Ah, it 's a side effect of the previous code

What did you change?
I also overlooked that there is no image, i.e. layer is not visible.

Greetlings,
Hraban

* Re: multi-page floats
@ 2012-06-05 18:35               ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2012-06-05 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2012-06-05 um 19:55 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:

>> Sorry for coming back again and again, but I’m still stuck, and my
>> deadline is overdue.
>>
>> * I need full-page pictures on defined pages in the middle of a
>> chapter.
>>
>> * I don’t care if I must define "on page x" or "on the next right
>> page after the current paragraph".
>>
>> - The only way for full-page pictures (i.e. bleeding over the page)
>> that I know of is layers.
>> - The only way to interrupt a story with full-page content that I
>> know of is postponing.
>> (makeups were a dead end so far - maybe they can help to get to a
>> right page withput using \page[right])
>>
>> While each works for itself, I can’t get layers working within
>> postponing.
>>
>> And when that works, I need to wrap it in a macro, since I alway
>> need to define and postpone three sequential pages.
>
> \starttext
>
> \dorecurse{3}{\input tufte\par}
>
> \startpostponing
> \offset
>  [x=-\the\dimexpr\backspace+1cm\relax,
>   y=-\the\dimexpr\topspace+\headerheight+\headerdistance+1cm\relax]
>  {\externalfigure[mill][width=\the\dimexpr\paperwidth+2cm
> \relax,height=\the\dimexpr\paperheight+2cm\relax]}
> \page
> \stoppostponing
>
> \dorecurse{5}{\input tufte\par}
>
> \stoptext

Great, I didn’t know \offset (or I forgot)!
This way it’s much easier!
Thank you very much!

Of course, the \offset stuff works in a macro, but not postponing. But
I can live with three lines of code per insertion.

Greetlings,
Hraban

* Re: multi-page floats
@ 2012-06-06  7:37                         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-06-06  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> wrote:

>>> Uhm I've tested but maybe I've made a wrong cut and paste.
>>> Re-check now.
>>
>> Ah, it 's a side effect of the previous code
>

> What did you change?
Who knows... I'm always try to use the latest beta, and sometime I
make some confusion.

> I also overlooked that there is no image, i.e. layer is not visible.
True: The next one
I've a problem with the pagenumber on header, but I can use
\setupbackgrounds[page][background={foreground,bg}]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\definelayer[bg][x=0mm,y=-3mm,width=\dimexpr(\paperwidth+3mm),height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]
\setupbackgrounds[page][background={bg}]
%\setupbackgrounds[page][background={foreground,bg}]

\def\DoublePicAt#1{
      \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
      \strut
      \page
}

\starttext
\startpostponing[5]
\DoublePicAt{hacker}
\stoppostponing
\startpostponing[6]
\DoublePicAt{hacker-back}

@ 2012-06-06  9:39                           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-06-06  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Ah, it 's a side effect of the previous code
>>

>> What did you change?
> Who knows... I'm always try to use the latest beta, and sometime I
> make some confusion.
>
>> I also overlooked that there is no image, i.e. layer is not visible.
And maybe this is what you want

\definelayer[bg][x=0mm,y=-3mm,width=\dimexpr(\paperwidth+3mm),height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]
\setupbackgrounds[page][background={bg}]

\def\DoublePicAt#1{
      \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
      \strut
      \page\stoppostponing
}

\newcount\AtPageCnt

\def\PostPoneA#1#2{%
\startpostponing[#2]%
\DoublePicAt{#1}}

\def\PostPone#1#2{%
\AtPageCnt=#2
\PostPoneA{#1}{\the\AtPageCnt}\stoppostponing
\advance\AtPageCnt by 1%
\PostPoneA{#1-back}{\the\AtPageCnt}\stoppostponing
}

\starttext

\PostPone{hacker}{5}

@ 2012-06-06  9:52                             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-06-06  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What did you change?
>> Who knows... I'm always try to use the latest beta, and sometime I
>> make some confusion.
>>
>>> I also overlooked that there is no image, i.e. layer is not visible.
> And maybe this is what you want
errata/corrige
> \def\DoublePicAt#1{
>      \setlayer[bg]{\externalfigure[#1][height=\dimexpr(\paperheight+6mm)]}
>      \strut
>      \page\stoppostponing
> }

\def\DoublePicAt#1{

--
luigi

* Re: multi-page floats
@ 2012-06-07 12:51                               ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2012-06-07 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2012-06-06 um 11:52 schrieb luigi scarso:

>> And maybe this is what you want
> errata/corrige

Thank you for your effort, I’ll test it this weekend, but I resolved
to Wolfgang’s solution using \offset instead of backgrounds, since
that’s much easier and enough for my needs.

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2001-09-04  9:14 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-09-04  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:52 AM 9/3/2001 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>Hello,
>
>this is a "request" on the same line as the "looks like float,
>smells like a float, but is not a float" request.
>
>The previous request was about defining objects that didn't really
>float, but which would have a caption that would follow the
>caption numbering of the same class of floats. Of course it made
>sense only for "splittable" "floats" (like tables).
>
>More in general, this request is about "multi-page" floats: floats
>that could take more than one page (for example, a very long
>table). It should be automatically split (which would require the
>system to know where to split and how to split, which text to
>replicate on the top or bottom of the split etc), and it would
>have a caption on each page where it is present, a caption
>containing a continuation message on each non-first page.
>
>Is it already available?

you mean \splitfloat [splitsplaatsblok] in page-flt.tex ?

[split and handles 3a 3b 3c like numbering]

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Multi-page floats
@ 2001-09-03  7:52 Giuseppe Bilotta

[...]