* defining font family for several options
@ 2020-09-01  3:22 jbf
From: jbf @ 2020-09-01  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perhaps someone can assist me with the following query. I have a
situation where I need to use more than one sans serif fonts (especially
within complicated chapter heads). I currently have the following:

\definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [alegreya]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [ss] [dax][tf=file:dax-regular]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [mm] [alegreya]
\setupbodyfont[mainface]
\setupbodyfont[11pt]

But what if I need to have, in addition to the Dax sans serif typeface,
an additional sans serif typeface such as ITCAvantGarde? How do I
declare that? Do I just give it another name, e.g.
\definefontfamily[chapter][itcavantgarde] etc? If I did that, how then
do I refer to it? Obviously not just as {\ss my text} since that would
call in the dax font.

Julian

* Re: defining font family for several options
@ 2020-09-01 20:36 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-09-01 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 01.09.2020 um 05:22 schrieb jbf <roma83537@gmail.com>:
>
> Perhaps someone can assist me with the following query. I have a situation where I need to use more than one sans serif fonts (especially within complicated chapter heads). I currently have the following:
>
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [alegreya]
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [ss] [dax][tf=file:dax-regular]
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [mm] [alegreya]
> \setupbodyfont[mainface]
> \setupbodyfont[11pt]
>
> But what if I need to have, in addition to the Dax sans serif typeface, an additional sans serif typeface such as ITCAvantGarde? How do I declare that? Do I just give it another name, e.g. \definefontfamily[chapter][itcavantgarde] etc? If I did that, how then do I refer to it? Obviously not just as {\ss my text} since that would call in the dax font.

If you don’t need the roman font, you can (ab)use that. Or try handwriting/hw (it was commonly declared in MkII; didn’t try if it just works nowadays).

Otherwise, since you probably will use only special font variants in setups like headers, use something like \definedfont[ITCAvantGarde-Semibold*default at 36pt].

Hraban

* Re: defining font family for several options
@ 2020-09-01 23:08 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2020-09-01 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 1 Sep 2020, jbf wrote:

> Perhaps someone can assist me with the following query. I have a
> situation where I need to use more than one sans serif fonts (especially
> within complicated chapter heads). I currently have the following:
>
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [alegreya]
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [ss] [dax][tf=file:dax-regular]
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [mm] [alegreya]
> \setupbodyfont[mainface]
> \setupbodyfont[11pt]
>
> But what if I need to have, in addition to the Dax sans serif typeface,
> an additional sans serif typeface such as ITCAvantGarde? How do I
> declare that? Do I just give it another name, e.g.
> \definefontfamily[chapter][itcavantgarde] etc? If I did that, how then
> do I refer to it? Obviously not just as {\ss my text} since that would
> call in the dax font.

{\switchtobodyfont[chapter]\ss my text}

I tried to improve the explanation on the wiki: https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Font_Switching#Switching_typefaces

Aditya

* Re: defining font family for several options
@ 2020-09-01 23:22   ` jbf
From: jbf @ 2020-09-01 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I presume you mean, {\switchtobodyfont[itcavantgarde]\ss My text} for
the case I mentioned?

Because at no point in the example I gave of \definefontfamily[mainface]
had I defined ss as an AvanteGarde typeface, and that is the heart of my
question. Can I somehow define two kinds of sans serif for different uses?

It was earlier suggested (Hraban) I might be able to do away with the
serif font or use calligraphy, but I need the rm and I don't need cg
(though, was the suggestion that I could use the initials cg but set up
the typeface in fact as a sans serif, in this case AvantGarde? Is that
possible? In which case I could also use hw as well for a different
typeface as well?). As you can see, I am trying to get to grips with
this whole typeface issue which I find a bit complicated.

Julian

@ 2020-09-01 23:59     ` Otared Kavian
       [not found]       ` <7e248e94-f223-6850-7b69-402939425229@gmail.com>
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-09-01 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Julian,

What Aditya means is that you define two (or more) font families: one is named mainface as yu have already done, the other named mychapterfont (for instance) where you attribute whatever fonts you wish to sans serif and else. Then when you want to use the special font in some of the titles you use

{\switchtobodyfont[mychapterfont]\ss my text}

You can use also

\start \switchtobodyfont[mychapterfont] \ss my text \stop

in case the braces are not convenient for a longer text.

Best regards: Otared

@ 2020-09-02  0:10       ` jbf
       [not found]       ` <7e248e94-f223-6850-7b69-402939425229@gmail.com>
From: jbf @ 2020-09-02  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

That's now clear. Thank you.

Julian

       [not found]             ` <AAFB42C0-CCC0-47BD-8FAA-8E9E2EFBC73C@gmail.com>
@ 2020-09-03 21:06               ` jbf
From: jbf @ 2020-09-03 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Otared. That clears up that little item :-)

BTW I know how to reduce font size in the headers (chapter titles) that
appear on the recto pages, which I can do with something like
\setupheader [style={\ss\switchtobodyfont[10pt]}], but it doesn't seem
to affect the header (title of the book) on the verso pages, which is
drawn from the simple statement:

\startdocument
   [metadata:title={Book title}]

Shouldn't  \setupheader affect both headers? Or is it possible I have
left something out of my \setupheader declaration?

Julian

@ 2020-09-03 21:16                 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2020-09-03 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 4 Sep 2020, jbf wrote:

> Thanks Otared. That clears up that little item :-)
>
> BTW I know how to reduce font size in the headers (chapter titles) that
> appear on the recto pages, which I can do with something like
> \setupheader [style={\ss\switchtobodyfont[10pt]}], but it doesn't seem

Better to use style={\switchtobodyfont[10pt,ss]} or \switchtobodyfont[10pt]\ss...

> to affect the header (title of the book) on the verso pages, which is
> drawn from the simple statement:
>
> \startdocument
>    [metadata:title={Book title}]
>
> Shouldn't  \setupheader affect both headers? Or is it possible I have
> left something out of my \setupheader declaration?

A minimal example will make the debugging process much easier.

Aditya

* Re: defining font family for several options
@ 2020-09-03 22:17                   ` jbf
From: jbf @ 2020-09-03 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)