From: juh+ntg-context--- via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Cc: juh+ntg-context@mailbox.org
Subject: Re:  ConTeXt meeting 2022 – please register!
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 08:48:26 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Hraban,

Am 03.08.22 um 10:50 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context:
> Taco convinced me not to cancel the meeting due to a lack of
> participants, but I’d like to know why you (esp. if you attended
> previous meetings) decided not to come:

short answer. The meeting is in the holidays of my wife and she expects
me to join her in a travel. ;-)

The long answer.

During the pandemic I stopped planning more than one month ahead. So the
above mentioned travel isn't booked yet. For this reason I miss the
early birds and maybe the booking of special things like a private room.
(In fact I don't found information about accommodations on the website)

Before Corona I wanted to attend a meeting but didn't do it for two reasons.

1. I wasn't sure if I can follow the programe. Though I am not a bloody
beginner, I am still at the basis of the learning curve. Many talks
seems to be way above my understanding. (The same is true for the
monthly video meetings.) But I am very interested in learning – I can
even imagine that my cooperative would pay for it.

2. I always like to combine meetings with my passion to dance Tango. If
a meeting is in a bigger city, chances are high that I could spend a
couple of evenings in a local milonga. From Dreifelden to any milonga in
NRW or Hessen I would need at least an hour by car.

In this year there are some things that might affect others as well.

Currently the first real life meetings starts again and I have to
confess that it is not so easy to switch mentally to the pre-corona
area. My cooperative will be present at the Bits&Bäume conference in
Berlin and we are struggling to organize this. This sounds silly but all
the processes of planning such an event must be restarted.

Corona isn't over and even boostered people have to lay down for at
least one week and to stay away from work another one to recover from
covid. So for that reason I am still very cautious – and I expect to
take over more tasks at work when colleagues got ill from one day to
another. So it is not a good time too stay away for one week to attend a
meeting.

On the other hand I would really like to get into ConTeXt as I am
convinced that it is the thing I need for my personal work and my work
in my cooperative. So I would still like to attend a meeting.

What are the things I am interested in most?

I would like to take an intensive training.

Aside from the core functions I would like to learn more about
integrations as this is what we are trying to do at Hostsharing at the
moment. This could cover small things like automated business graphics
with different tools to printing from TEI-XML to setup a single source
publishing chain with Pandoc. The problems are in the details. ;-)

Another topic:

If we want to promote ConTeXt it would be nice to have small meetings on
bigger meetings like FOSDEM in Belgium or FrOSCon in Germany. (I was so
bold to propose a workshop at FrOSCon and alas it was accepted!) At
FrOSCon and FOSDEM you can get a developer room to make your own
programe. That would be a good place for introductory workshops.

I hope that this is of some value for you.

Thank you very much for organizing the meeting in these challenging times.

juh