* Booklet hint
@ 2008-06-19 23:55 Diego Depaoli
From: Diego Depaoli @ 2008-06-19 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to produce my first booklet (two A5 on A4 paper) and first
results look fine (but how much effort).
What kind and size of font you suggest to maximize readability saving paper?

Thanks

--
Diego Depaoli

P.S. Why Scite's interface doesn't contain a direct call to 'context'?

* Re: Booklet hint
@ 2008-06-20  8:15 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-20  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Diego Depaoli <trebestie@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to produce my first booklet (two A5 on A4 paper) and first
> results look fine (but how much effort).
> What kind and size of font you suggest to maximize readability saving paper?

I use myself a size between 8 and 10pt but it depends on the font and
8pt could be too small for a few fonts. You could also try to adjust the
margins to get more text on the page.

> Diego Depaoli
>
> P.S. Why Scite's interface doesn't contain a direct call to 'context'?

Do you use the Scite version from mswincontext or only the script from
the zips.

Regards
Wolfgang

* Re: Booklet hint
@ 2008-06-20 14:18   ` Diego Depaoli
From: Diego Depaoli @ 2008-06-20 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/6/20 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
>> What kind and size of font you suggest to maximize readability saving paper?
>
> I use myself a size between 8 and 10pt but it depends on the font and
> 8pt could be too small for a few fonts. You could also try to adjust the
> margins to get more text on the page.
Thanks, 9pt was my original choice, but someone complained about this size.
In the meanwhile I got another problem.
The central page of this booklet should contain a text  which fits an
A4 sheet so we will have
[A5][A4, landscape] papersize on pages 1-8, 2-7, 3-6 and [A4,
rotated][A4,landscape] in pages 4-5.
My trivial code (obviously) doesn't work and searching wiki and ml
didn't give much help:

\setuppapersize[A5][A4, landscape]
\setuparranging[2UP]
\startpostponing[4]
\setuppapersize[A4,rotated][A4,landscape]
\input knuth
\page
\stoppostponing
\startext
\dorecurse{50}{\input hawking}
\stoptext

How can I achieve the desired result?

Thanks in advance
--
Diego Depaoli

* Re: Booklet hint
@ 2008-06-20 15:49     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-06-20 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-06-20 um 16:18 schrieb Diego Depaoli:
> Thanks, 9pt was my original choice, but someone complained about
> this size.

There's *always* someone complaining about the font size... ;-(

Remember that reasonable font sizes for offset printing look nearly
always too small when printed "digitally" - resolution matters.

If your target printing is laser or inkjet, you shouldn't decrease the
body font below 10 pt.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Booklet hint
@ 2008-06-23  7:47     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-23  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Diego Depaoli <trebestie@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/6/20 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
>>> What kind and size of font you suggest to maximize readability saving paper?
>>
>> I use myself a size between 8 and 10pt but it depends on the font and
>> 8pt could be too small for a few fonts. You could also try to adjust the
>> margins to get more text on the page.
> Thanks, 9pt was my original choice, but someone complained about this size.
> In the meanwhile I got another problem.
> The central page of this booklet should contain a text  which fits an
> A4 sheet so we will have
> [A5][A4, landscape] papersize on pages 1-8, 2-7, 3-6 and [A4,
> rotated][A4,landscape] in pages 4-5.
> My trivial code (obviously) doesn't work and searching wiki and ml
> didn't give much help:
>
> \setuppapersize[A5][A4, landscape]
> \setuparranging[2UP]
> \startpostponing[4]
> \setuppapersize[A4,rotated][A4,landscape]
> \input knuth
> \page
> \stoppostponing
> \startext
> \dorecurse{50}{\input hawking}
> \stoptext
>
> How can I achieve the desired result?

Write the text for the A4 page in a seperate document and
include it as a figure.

\setupexternalfigures[location={local,global,default}]

\setuppapersize[A5][A4, landscape]
\setuparranging[2UP]

\startpostponing[4]
\offset
  [leftoffset=-\backspace,
   topoffset=-\dimexpr\topspace+\headerheight\relax]
  {\clip
     [width=\paperwidth]
     {\externalfigure[cow][width=2\paperwidth,height=\paperheight]}}
\stoppostponing

\startpostponing[5]
\noheaderandfooterlines
\offset
  [leftoffset=-\backspace,
   topoffset=-\dimexpr\topspace+\headerheight\relax]
  {\clip
     [hoffset=\paperwidth,width=\paperwidth]
     {\externalfigure[cow][width=2\paperwidth,height=\paperheight]}}
\stoppostponing

\starttext

\dorecurse{50}{\input hawking}

\stoptext

Regards
Wolfgang

* Re: Booklet hint
@ 2008-06-24  2:59       ` Diego Depaoli
From: Diego Depaoli @ 2008-06-24  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/6/23 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
> Write the text for the A4 page in a seperate document and
> include it as a figure.
>
> \setupexternalfigures[location={local,global,default}]
>
> \setuppapersize[A5][A4, landscape]
> \setuparranging[2UP]
>
> \startpostponing[4]
> \offset
>  [leftoffset=-\backspace,
>   topoffset=-\dimexpr\topspace+\headerheight\relax]
>  {\clip
>     [width=\paperwidth]
>     {\externalfigure[cow][width=2\paperwidth,height=\paperheight]}}
> \stoppostponing
>
> \startpostponing[5]
> \noheaderandfooterlines
> \offset
>  [leftoffset=-\backspace,
>   topoffset=-\dimexpr\topspace+\headerheight\relax]
>  {\clip
>     [hoffset=\paperwidth,width=\paperwidth]
>     {\externalfigure[cow][width=2\paperwidth,height=\paperheight]}}
> \stoppostponing
>
> \starttext
>
> \dorecurse{50}{\input hawking}
>
> \stoptext

Many thanks Wolfgang, your sample does the goal.
I'll try it in my booklet.
Could be interesting for the wiki?

Cheers,

--