* context --autopdf=auto/default
@ 2019-08-29  9:40 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-08-29  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again!

Hans, could you use "xdg-open" for "—autopdf=auto" on Linux?
That’s more or less the same as "open" on MacOS.

On Windows it’s 'start "" "<file>"' (empty quotes for default program), don’t know if that’s implemented.

"default" is apparently "pdfopen", that doesn’t work on MacOS, at least on my system I get:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/hraban/Library/texmf/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/pdfopen
  Reason: image not found
Abort trap: 6

Greetlings, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: context --autopdf=auto/default
@ 2019-08-29  9:51 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2019-08-29  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 29 Aug 2019, at 11:40, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:
>
> Hello again!
>
> Hans, could you use "xdg-open" for "—autopdf=auto" on Linux?
> That’s more or less the same as "open" on MacOS.
>
> On Windows it’s 'start "" "<file>"' (empty quotes for default program), don’t know if that’s implemented.
>

> "default" is apparently "pdfopen", that doesn’t work on MacOS, at least on my system I get:
>
> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib
>  Referenced from: /Users/hraban/Library/texmf/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/pdfopen
>  Reason: image not found
> Abort trap: 6

You need XQuartz installed for pdfopen to even start on MacOS. But it would still
likely fail with ‘acroread startup failed’, because it is seriously outdated by now.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: context --autopdf=auto/default
@ 2019-08-29  9:51 ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2019-08-29  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 29-08-19 11:40, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Hans, could you use "xdg-open" for "—autopdf=auto" on Linux?
> That’s more or less the same as "open" on MacOS.

you could also create an alias for in your .bashrc

alias open=xdg-open

[-- Attachment #2: pEpkey.asc --]

* Re: context --autopdf=auto/default
@ 2019-08-29 23:27   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-08-29 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Hraban Ramm,

On 8/29/2019 3:04 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a distinction of systems in mtxrun. (Is it in mtx-context.lua? I didn’t understand the code.)
it's in l-pdfview.luabut currently we only have a windows / unix split

* Re: context --autopdf=auto/default
       [not found] <7FB15EA3-5F06-4CF4-86E7-0E5406725276@fiee.net>
@ 2019-08-29 13:04 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-08-29 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 2019-08-29 um 11:51 schrieb Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>:
>> On 29 Aug 2019, at 11:40, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hans, could you use "xdg-open" for "—autopdf=auto" on Linux?
>> That’s more or less the same as "open" on MacOS.
>>
>> On Windows it’s 'start "" "<file>"' (empty quotes for default program), don’t know if that’s implemented.
>>

>> "default" is apparently "pdfopen", that doesn’t work on MacOS, at least on my system I get:
>>
>> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib
>> Referenced from: /Users/hraban/Library/texmf/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/pdfopen
>> Reason: image not found
>> Abort trap: 6
>
> You need XQuartz installed for pdfopen to even start on MacOS. But it would still
> likely fail with ‘acroread startup failed’, because it is seriously outdated by now.

I have XQuartz, of course, but not the outdated Apple version or any other in /usr/X11/lib, but the MacPorts version in /opt/local/lib (and a few within some Apps).

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC doesn’t use X11 and isn’t callable as acroread, but only as /Applications/Adobe\ Acrobat\ Reader\ DC.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeReader *if* you installed it in /Applications.

I guess you meant acroread on Linux, and there "default" still works.

> Am 2019-08-29 um 11:51 schrieb Floris van Manen <vm@klankschap.nl>:
>
> On 29-08-19 11:40, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> Hans, could you use "xdg-open" for "—autopdf=auto" on Linux?
>> That’s more or less the same as "open" on MacOS.
>
> you could also create an alias for in your .bashrc
>
> alias open=xdg-open

Right. And also an alias for acroread and/or pdfopen on my Mac.

But since I think it’s useful for a lot of users, I suggest including at least xdg-open for "auto" on Linux.