From: Giuseppe Bilotta <gip.bilotta@iol.it>
Subject: Extra inserpages options and Out of hash space
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:19:52 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

I'm re-creating a PDF from a split-repeated form: each section
of the original document has been split into a separated PDF,
and I'm trying to recombine it. To do so, I patched
\dodoinsertpages so that it is possible to give a start= and
stop= value for the pages (so that you can include, say, the
pages from 4 to 86 only):

\newcounter\currentip
\def\dodoinsertpages[#1][#2][#3]%
  {\bgroup
   \dontcomplain
   \getfiguredimensions[#1]%
   \getparameters[\??ip][\c!start=1,\c!stop=\noffigurepages,\c!width=\!!zeropoint,#3]%
   \doifinset0{#2}{\null\page}%
   % \write16{Should insert from \@@ipstart\space to \@@ipstop}%
   \let\currentip\@@ipstart%
   \decrement\currentip
   \doloop
     {\increment\currentip\relax
      % \write16{Inserting page \currentip}%
      \dofilterpage{#1}\currentip
      \doifinset\currentip{#2}{\null\page}%
      \ifnum\currentip=\@@ipstop\exitloop \fi
}%
   \egroup

Hans may consider adding such a feature to the default
distribution, possibly making it work with the n= option which
is used by the standard stuff ...

Anyway, my problem is that as soon as I get past page 600 or
so, I get hash size exceeded fatal errors. A braindead solution
that allows me to get a few more pages is to patch
\calculateexternalfigure to define less csnames, eg by
commenting

        %\setxvalue{\@@efobjectname\c!n}{\number\nofinsertpages}%

and changing

        %\xdef\noffigurepages{\number\getvalue{\@@efobjectname\c!n}}%
        \xdef\noffigurepages{\number\nofinsertpages}%

but still still is not enough (it's a nearly 1000 pages book).

Ideas on how to solve the problem (MiKTeX does not allow
increasing the hash size)?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta