* ASCII mode within \footnote
@ 2019-11-01 13:23 context
From: context @ 2019-11-01 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

Hello,

the following code doesn't compile:

----
\starttext
   \startasciimode %@$\stopasciimode
   \footnote{\startasciimode %@$\stopasciimode} % <<<< Try to comment
this
\stoptext
----

When the line with \footnote is commented, compilation works fine.

What's "evil" in \footnote{\startasciimode %@$\stopasciimode}?

Best regards,

Lukas

[-- Attachment #2: t.mkiv --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 114 bytes --]

\starttext
  \startasciimode %@$\stopasciimode
  %\footnote{\startasciimode %@$\stopasciimode}
\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: t.pdf --]

* Re: ASCII mode within \footnote
@ 2019-11-01 13:36 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]   ` <0e3fc588e96d00f1f235e1f3b9499335@vivaldi.net>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-11-01 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/1/2019 2:23 PM, context@vivaldi.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the following code doesn't compile:
>
> ----
> \starttext
>    \startasciimode %@$\stopasciimode
>    \footnote{\startasciimode %@$\stopasciimode} % <<<< Try to comment this
> \stoptext
> ----
>
> When the line with \footnote is commented, compilation works fine.
>
> What's "evil" in \footnote{\startasciimode %@$\stopasciimode}?
the fact that startasciimode will not be in action as it's passed as
argument

\starttext
     \startasciimode
         %@$
         \footnote{%@$} % <<<< Try to comment this
     \stopasciimode
     \startasciimode
         \footnote{%@$}
     \stopasciimode
\stoptext

@ 2019-11-02  9:45     ` context
From: context @ 2019-11-02  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

Hello,

OK, thanks for reaction.

One more example - \text instead of ascii mode:

----
\starttext
   \type{%@$}
   A\footnote{\type{*\$%
   }}
   B\footnote{\type{*\$\%
   }}
\stoptext
----

gives:

"
*\$
*\$\%
"

in the footnote.

IOW, I cannot simply print "%": "%" at the end yields "" whilst "\%"
produces "\%".

Is there a simple way to prinst simple "%"?
(There is probably a more clumsy way - type \letterpercent instead of %
- but this is a minimal sample; in my real sample there are many "%"s to
be shown as "%".)

Best regards,

Lukas

@ 2019-11-02 15:35       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2019-11-02 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 2 Nov 2019, context@vivaldi.net wrote:

> Hello,
>
> OK, thanks for reaction.
>
> One more example - \text instead of ascii mode:
>
> ----
> \starttext
>   \type{%@$}
>   A\footnote{\type{*\$%
>   }}
>   B\footnote{\type{*\$\%
>   }}
> \stoptext
> ----
>
> gives:
>
> "
> *\$
> *\$\%
> "
>
> in the footnote.
>
> IOW, I cannot simply print "%": "%" at the end yields "" whilst "\%"
> produces "\%".
>
> Is there a simple way to prinst simple "%"?
> (There is probably a more clumsy way - type \letterpercent instead of %
> - but this is a minimal sample; in my real sample there are many "%"s to
> be shown as "%".)

Why not just use asciimode?

To understand why \footnote{\type{...}}} doesn't work, you need to
understand TeX's "digestive system". \type{...} (and asciimode) work by
modifying the catcode tables. However, they are are used inside a
footnote, the argument of \footnote is parsed according to the catcode
table which is active when footnote is passed. Under the default catcode
table, % is a comment, so when you type:

\footnote{\type{*\$%
}}

the argument of \footnote is `\type{*\$}`

So, if you want \footnote to "see" the %, you need to activate a catcode
table where % is a letter. So, the simplest solution is to use \asciimode.

Aditya

* Re: ASCII mode within \footnote
@ 2019-11-04 11:36         ` context
From: context @ 2019-11-04 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Aditia,

thanks for reaction.

I simply want to write "%APPDATA%\file.txt" and the same into the
footnote, with ability to use the text "%APPDATA%\file.txt" without any
substitution (like "%" -> "\letterpercent") - if possible.

My attepmts with \text or \asciimode fail:

----
\starttext
   \type{%APPDATA%\file.txt}
   \footnote{%
     %\type{%APPDATA%\file.txt}
     %\asciimode{%APPDATA%\file.txt}
   }
\stoptext
----

Even plays with

       %\catcode\commentasciicode=\othercatcode
       %\catcode\backslashasciicode=\othercatcode

don't give the desired result.

So - is there a simple way how to get strings with "%" and "\" (which
represent a path on Windows) into footnote?

Best regards,

Lukas

@ 2019-11-04 13:36           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2019-11-04 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 4 Nov 2019, context@vivaldi.net wrote:

> Hello Aditia,
>
> thanks for reaction.
>
> I simply want to write "%APPDATA%\file.txt" and the same into the
> footnote, with ability to use the text "%APPDATA%\file.txt" without any
> substitution (like "%" -> "\letterpercent") - if possible.
>
> My attepmts with \text or \asciimode fail:
>
> ----
> \starttext
>   \type{%APPDATA%\file.txt}
>   \footnote{%
>     %\type{%APPDATA%\file.txt}
>     %\asciimode{%APPDATA%\file.txt}
>   }
> \stoptext
> ----
>
> Even plays with
>
>       %\catcode\commentasciicode=\othercatcode
>       %\catcode\backslashasciicode=\othercatcode
>
> don't give the desired result.
>
> So - is there a simple way how to get strings with "%" and "\" (which
> represent a path on Windows) into footnote?

As Hans' mentioned, use:

\startasciicode
\footnote{\type{%APPDATA%\file.txt}}
\stopasciicode

Aditya

* Re: ASCII mode within \footnote
@ 2019-11-04 14:05             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2019-11-04 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 4 Nov 2019, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

That should have been:

> As Hans' mentioned, use:
>
> \startasciimode
> \footnote{\type{%APPDATA%\file.txt}}
> \stopasciimode

Aditya

* Re: ASCII mode within \footnote
@ 2019-11-04 16:34               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-11-04 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan schrieb am 04.11.2019 um 15:05:
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2019, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
> That should have been:
>
>> As Hans' mentioned, use:
>>
>> \startasciimode
>> \footnote{\type{%APPDATA%\file.txt}}
>> \stopasciimode

In a longer document setting \asciimode at the begin can be the better
solution.

The reason why setting \asciimode in the \footnote doesn't work is that
TeX uses
uses the meaning of a special character it had when it read the
argument, i.e.
when TeX reads the text "%APPDATA%\file.txt" the percent sign acts as
begin of
a comment and everything after it is ignored. As a result the asciimode
command
can't work because the text has already disappeared.

Other characters like $ are less problematic because there are ways to
change
their meaning afterwards (# can be tricky) but not comments because
nothing remains.

\setupbuffer
   [before=\blank,
    after=\blank]

\starttext

Normal comment:

\startbuffer
     % comment
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer \getbuffer

Comment in \type{asciimode} environment:

\startbuffer
     \startasciimode
         % comment
     \stopasciimode
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer \getbuffer

Comment in the argument of a command:

\startbuffer
     \firstofoneargument
         {
             % comment
         }
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer \getbuffer

Comment in the argument of a command + \type{asciimode} in the argument:

\startbuffer
     \firstofoneargument
         {
             \startasciimode
                 % comment
             \stopasciimode
         }
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer \getbuffer

Comment in a argument after \type{asciimode} was enabled:

\startbuffer
     \startasciimode
     \firstofoneargument
         {
             % comment
         }
     \stopasciimode
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer \getbuffer

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: ASCII mode within \footnote
@ 2019-11-05 13:43               ` context
From: context @ 2019-11-05 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

thanks Aditya and Wolfgang for "deep" explanation in several last mails.

We are approaching the goal...

Aditya's ocde:

----
\starttext
   \startasciimode
     \footnote{\type{%APPDATA%\file.txt}}
   \stopasciimode
\stoptext
----

gives (in the footnote):

"
1 %APPDATA%\file .txt
"               ^
............... +------ So there is ONE UNWANTED SPACE - how to make it
disappear?

Thank you again for patience and best regards,

Lukas

On 2019-11-04 15:05, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2019, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
> That should have been:
>
>> As Hans' mentioned, use:
>>
>> \startasciimode
>> \footnote{\type{%APPDATA%\file.txt}}
>> \stopasciimode
>
> Aditya

[-- Attachment #2: t4.mkiv --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 102 bytes --]

\starttext
  \startasciimode
    \footnote{\type{%APPDATA%\file.txt}}
  \stopasciimode
\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: t4.pdf --]

* Re: ASCII mode within \footnote
@ 2019-11-07 22:04                 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-11-07 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > Hello,
 >
 > thanks Aditya and Wolfgang for "deep" explanation in several last
 > mails.
 >
 > We are approaching the goal...
 >
 > Aditya's ocde:
 >
 > ----
 > \starttext
 >    \startasciimode
 >      \footnote{\type{%APPDATA%\file.txt}}
 >    \stopasciimode
 > \stoptext
 > ----
 >
 > gives (in the footnote):
 >
 > "
 > 1 %APPDATA%\file .txt
 > "               ^
 > ............... +------ So there is ONE UNWANTED SPACE - how to make
 > it disappear?
 >
 > Thank you again for patience and best regards,
 >
 > Lukas

When you use \type in the argument of another command there are some
limitation in TeX and this is another one.

The reason for the space is that TeX adds a space after a command when
it reads the argument which will in this case appears in the output.
When you use \type outside of the footnote this won't happens because
\file in the argument is treated as a backslash followed by four single
letters but in this case TeX handles it as the commend \file.

Below is a simple example which demonstrates the behaviour, with the
\detokenize command (nothing you need in a normal document) you can
visualize TeX's behaviour. The second example shows another problematic
characters.

\starttext

\type{\dummy.}

\firstofoneargument{\type{\dummy.}}

{\tt\detokenize{\dummy.}}

\blank

\type{#}

\firstofoneargument{\type{#}}

{\tt\detokenize{#}}

\stoptext

A way to avoid this problem is to use a slash a path separator
instead of the backslash. Another way to get rid of it is to save
the path a buffer and print the content of the buffer with the
\typeinlinebuffer command.

\starttext

\startbuffer
%APPDATA%\file.txt
\stopbuffer

\footnote{\typeinlinebuffer}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: ASCII mode within \footnote
@ 2019-11-07 23:11                   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2019-11-07 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> A way to avoid this problem is to use a slash a path separator
> instead of the backslash. Another way to get rid of it is to save
> the path a buffer and print the content of the buffer with the
> \typeinlinebuffer command.
>

> \starttext
>
> \startbuffer
> %APPDATA%\file.txt
> \stopbuffer
>
> \footnote{\typeinlinebuffer}
>
> \stoptext

Another option, if you have many such files is to define a macro:

\define[1]\APPDATA{\mono{\letterpercent APPDATA\letterpercent\letterbackslash#1}}

And then use:

\footnote{\APPDATA{file.txt}}

Aditya

* Re: ASCII mode within \footnote
@ 2019-11-08  8:52                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-11-08  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/8/2019 12:11 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Nov 2019, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> A way to avoid this problem is to use a slash a path separator
>> instead of the backslash. Another way to get rid of it is to save
>> the path a buffer and print the content of the buffer with the
>> \typeinlinebuffer command.
>>

>> \starttext
>>
>> \startbuffer
>> %APPDATA%\file.txt
>> \stopbuffer
>>
>> \footnote{\typeinlinebuffer}
>>
>> \stoptext
>
> Another option, if you have many such files is to define a macro:
>
> \define[1]\APPDATA{\mono{\letterpercent
> APPDATA\letterpercent\letterbackslash#1}}
>
> And then use:
>
> \footnote{\APPDATA{file.txt}}
or ...

\footnote{\type[compact=absolute]{%APPDATA%\file.txt}}

* Re: ASCII mode within \footnote
@ 2019-11-08  9:45                       ` context
From: context @ 2019-11-08  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

many thanks again, especially \type[compact=absolute] and
\typeinlinebuffer solve my problem!

Best regards,

Lukas