* New Beta
@ 2001-08-21  1:02 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2001-08-21  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii", Size: 1099 bytes --]

All,

I don't have the very latest Miktex, but a reasonably new one (Miktex 2
with Update 1). I unpacked the new Context beta (texexec.ini attached) and
used Miktex Options->Tex Formats to build formats for pdfelatex and
pdfetex, refreshing the filename database whenever I could.

texexec --make

seemed to go well (I have the eformats in \localtexmf\miktex\fmt. But when
I compile this sample file,

\starttext \framed {Let’s see if it works.} \stoptext

I got this error message:

F:\ConTeXt\MyWork>texexec junk

 TeXExec 2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001

            executable : pdfetex
                format : f:/localtexmf/miktex/fmt/cont-en
             inputfile : junk
                output : standard
             interface : en
          current mode : all
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14f-released-20000525-2.1 (MiKTeX 2 UP 1)
initexmf: don't know how to dump miktex
cannot make f:/localtexmf/miktex.efmt
I can't find the default format file!

              run time : 1 seconds

Has anyone experienced this before and know how to cure the problem?

[-- Attachment #2: texexec.ini --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 4590 bytes --]

% == introduction ==
%
% This is 'texexec.ini', the file used by texexec to determine where
% to find files, what TeX to use, what flags to pass, etc. Although
% TeXexec tries to locate things itself, a little help is sometimes
% needed. One can influence texexec by setting some variables. These
% are only needed when the automatic determined settings fail.
%
% == interfacing ==
%
% UsedInterfaces  nl,en  the formats generated with --make
% UserInterface   nl     the default format used
%
% == binaries ==
%
% TeXExecutable      pdfetex  the TeX binary to use
% MpExecutable       mpost    the MetaPost binary to use
% MpToTeXExecutable  mpto     the MetaPost to TeX converter
% DviToMpExecutable  dvitomp  the DVI to MetaPost converter
%
% == Scripts ==
%
% DviSpecialScript   dvispec  the DVI special filter script
%
% == flags ==
%
% TeXFormatFlag  &     the format introducer
% TeXVirginFlag  -ini  the format generation switch
%
% == paths ==
%
set TeXFormatPath   to f:/localtexmf/miktex/fmt
set ConTeXtPath     to f:/Miktex/tex/context/base
set SetupPath       to f:/Miktex/tex/context/base
set TeXScriptsPath  to f:/Miktex/context/perltk
% TeXFontsPath    texmf                   font files
%
% == the main shell setting ==
%
% As shown below, one can define his/her own sections. We default to
% the teTeX/fpTeX web2c based settings.

%set  TeXShell  to  tetex
%set TeXShell  to  fptex
set TeXShell  to  miktex
%set TeXShell  to  private

% == setting up the variables ==
%
% Here are some general defaults. They can be overruled later.

set  UsedInterfaces     to  en nl de uk
set  UserInterface      to  en

set  TeXExecutable      to  tex

set  MpExecutable       to  mpost
set  MpToTeXExecutable  to  mpto
set  DviToMpExecutable  to  dvitomp
set  DviSpecialScript   to  dvispec

set  MpFormat           to  metafun

set  TeXFormatFlag      to  &
set  MpFormatFlag       to  &

%set  TeXFontsPath       to  l:/tex/texmf;l:/tex/texmf-local;

% For teTeX the next settings will do.

for  tetex  set  TeXExecutable     to  pdfetex
for  tetex  set  TeXVirginFlag     to  -ini
for  tetex  set  TeXPassString     to  -progname=context
for  tetex  set  TeXBatchFlag      to  -int=batchmode
for  tetex  set  MpToTeXExecutable to  mpto
for  tetex  set  MpVirginFlag      to  -ini
for  tetex  set  MpPassString      to  -progname=mpost
for  tetex  set  MpBatchFlag       to  -int=batchmode

% These also apply to fpTeX.

for  fptex  set  TeXExecutable     to  pdfetex
for  fptex  set  TeXVirginFlag     to  -ini
for  fptex  set  TeXPassString     to  -progname=context
for  fptex  set  TeXBatchFlag      to  -int=batchmode
for  fptex  set  MpToTeXExecutable to  mpto
for  fptex  set  MpVirginFlag      to  -ini
for  fptex  set  MpPassString      to  -progname=mpost
for  fptex  set  MpBatchFlag       to  -int=batchmode

% MikTeX users probably have to set up some paths too.

for  miktex  set  TeXExecutable     to  pdfetex
for  miktex  set  TeXVirginFlag     to  --initialize
for  miktex  set  TeXBatchFlag      to  --interaction=batchmode
for  miktex  set  MpToTeXExecutable to  mptotex
for  miktex  set  MpVirginFlag      to  --initialize
for  miktex  set  MpPassString      to
for  miktex  set  MpBatchFlag       to  --interaction=batchmode
for  miktex  set  TeXFormatFlag     to  --undump=
for  miktex  set  MpFormatFlag      to  --undump=

% These are the settings used on some machines at PRAGMA ADE that
% don't use the texmf tree. They can serve as an example for local
% settings. Local settings should either be added to the previous
% one, or go without the 'for' directives. Consider these
% settings as an example.

for  private  set  UsedInterfaces  to  en nl
for  private  set  UserInterface   to  nl
for  private  set  ConTeXtPath     to  t:/sources/
for  private  set  SetupPath       to  t:/perl/
for  private  set  TeXScriptsPath  to  t:/perl/

% == read this too ==
%
% If this file is called 'texexec.rme', copy it to 'texexec.ini',
% check the settings above, change them according to your TeX
% distribution, and say:
%
%   texexec  --verbose
%
% When set up properly, you should see your local settings fly by.
% When these settings are ok, the next call should work:
%
%   texexec  --make
%
% and you should be able to process a file by saying
%
%   texexec  filename
%
% See 'mtexexec.pdf' for more information on the flags you can use with
% 'texexec'. Also make sure you have the 'texutil' script installed in
% the same path as 'texexec'.

% Experimental
%
% set  TcXPath     to  d:/tex/texmf/web2c
% set  FmtLanguage to  pl
% set  FmtBodyFont to  plr

* Re: Re[2]: New Beta
@ 2001-08-24 16:14 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2001-08-24 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cs, ntg-context

Giuseppe,

This is a good question. There is a Miktex Options, upon which is a Tab for
TeX formats, where one can setup and build formats.

However, this is new to Miktex 2, and traditionally I have always followed
the following steps:

1. Download and extract the new Context beta from Pragma.
2. Set environment variables in texexec.rme and rename to texexec.ini.
3. Rename cont-sys.rme to cont-sys.tex.

Actually, in 2 and 3, I usually just adjust my old texexec.ini and
cont-sys.tex.

4. Run texexec --verbose to see if setting look good.

5. Run texexec --make to build the formats. Because the TeXFormatPath is
set in texexec.ini, the formats are created AND moved into the correct
place in my /localtexmf/miktex/fmt.

6. Then I run

texexec --make --alone metafun

This builds metafun.mem. Unfortunately, there is no environment variable I
have found yet in texexec.ini that will move this automatically to the
correct spot in my miktex distribution, so I must manually move metafun.mem
to \localtexmf\miktex\mem.

7. Then I run

texexec --make --alone --format=mptopdf

This places mptopdf.efmt in /locatexmf/miktex/fmt. Then I take runperl.exe
and rename it to mptopdf.exe. These all used to be in
\miktex\context\perltk, but Christian has moved texexec.exe into the
\miktex\miktex\bin directory, which is on the path created when Miktex is
installed. This is a cool piece of software which allows me to type

mptopdf filename.1

where filename.1 is Metapost output. The result is the file filename-1.pdf.
Nice, huh? The command also accepts wildcards, as in

mptopdf filename.? or mptopdf filename.*

Old habits die hard, so I'm not quite sure how I want to setup my new
Miktex, but I am learning.

At 04:14 PM 8/24/01 +0200, you wrote:

>OB> I have found that this is not texexec but solely MiKTeX problem, the
problem
>OB> is that it seems that MiKTeX accept only restricted lenght of its
arguments and
>OB> cuts off the rest of argument for each of arguments separately, so if
your
>OB> TeXFormatPath contains f:/LocalTeXMF/miktex/fmt, then command line
argument
>OB> --undump=f:/LocalTeXMF/miktex/fmt/cont-en are cut after /miktex, so
TeX think
>OB> you wish to use miktex.efmt, not cont-en.efmt. Once you changed
--undump= to &,
>OB> command line are shorter and ain't cut off. I don't know whether it's
fixed in
>OB> MiKTeX 2.1.
>
>Is it necessary to use TeXFormatPath? I let MiKTeX find the corred
>path (or rather put the format files in the default path ...)

* new beta
@ 2002-12-01  0:15 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-01  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I uploaded a new beta. Most changes / updates / new features will go
unnoticed until documented (column sets, more float placements and control,
more clever and efficient text backgrounds -also in tables, and floats);
since i use these features in some styles, they finally will be documented
-) Of course there are also some fixes.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl