* issue with imposition
@ 2009-01-18 19:05 Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2009-01-18 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I would like to use the imposition capabilities from ConTeXt to be able
to print a PDF book in a standard laser printer. To save paper, I use
the 2UP arranging option thanks to this code from the wiki:

\definepapersize	[filius][width=135.9mm, height=231.8mm]
\setuppapersize		[filius][A4,landscape]
\setuparranging		[2UP,doublesided]
\setuplayout [backspace=0pt,
     topspace=0pt,
        width=middle,
       height=middle,
     location=middle,
       header=0pt,
       footer=0pt,
       grid=no, marking=off]
\starttext
\filterpages[ZittrainTheFutureoftheInternet.pdf][4:351][height=21cm]
\stoptext

The PDF file can be downloaded from
http://futureoftheinternet.org/static/ZittrainTheFutureoftheInternet.pdf.

The issue here is that I get a resulting paper size with the filius
height and not with 21cm from A4.

I have tried have the output in a standard A4 paper size, but all that I
got is a scaled down PDF. I would like to avoid scaling the document if
that were possible.

Is there any way, given the example above, to impose the filius paper
size on a real landscape A4 without having to scale down the PDF document?

Thanks for your help,

Pablo

* Re: issue with imposition
@ 2009-01-18 20:38 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2009-01-18 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pablo,

The problem is that the filius-page is higher than the width of an
A4. So there is no way other than to scale the original pages down to
a height of 210mm. For this action you can use something like

The following code in a tex-file.

\definepapersize[Mypaper][height=210mm,width=123mm]
\setuppapersize
   [Mypaper][Mypaper]
\setuplayout
   [page]
\starttext
\copypages
   [input.pdf]
   [scale=905,
    offset=0pt]
\stoptext

The resulting pdf-file should then be arranged. However I would
suggest not to use 2UP.  Arranging the whole file (351 pages) with
2UP results in a rather thick single booklet of 88 A4-sheets. What
you can try is to setup arranging as follows (untested). Put this
code into an environment file e.g. arrange.tex

\definepapersize[Mypaper][height=210mm,width=123mm]
%\definepapersize [offset=15pt]
\setuppapersize
   [Mypaper][A4,portrait]
\setuplayout
   [backspace=0pt,
  	 topspace=0pt,
  	width=middle,
  	height=middle,
  	%location=middle,
  	header=0pt,
  	footer=0pt]

\setuppagenumbering[location=,alternative=doublesided]
\setuparranging[2*2*4]
\starttext
	\insertpages[input-scaled.pdf][width=0pt]
\stoptext

On the commandline call conTeXt as follows

texmfstart texexec --pdfarrange --environments=arrange --
result=output.pdf  input-scaled.pdf

I hope this helps

Willi

On Jan 18, 2009, at 8:05 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I would like to use the imposition capabilities from ConTeXt to be
> able
> to print a PDF book in a standard laser printer. To save paper, I
> use the 2UP arranging option thanks to this code from the wiki:
>
> \definepapersize	[filius][width=135.9mm, height=231.8mm]
> \setuppapersize		[filius][A4,landscape]
> \setuparranging		[2UP,doublesided]
> \setuplayout [backspace=0pt,
>     topspace=0pt,
>        width=middle,
>       height=middle,
>     location=middle,
>       header=0pt,
>       footer=0pt,
>       grid=no, marking=off]
> \starttext
> \filterpages[ZittrainTheFutureoftheInternet.pdf][4:351][height=21cm]
> \stoptext
>
> The PDF file can be downloaded from
> http://futureoftheinternet.org/static/
> ZittrainTheFutureoftheInternet.pdf.
>
> The issue here is that I get a resulting paper size with the filius
> height and not with 21cm from A4.
>
> I have tried have the output in a standard A4 paper size, but all
> that I got is a scaled down PDF. I would like to avoid scaling the
> document if that were possible.
>
> Is there any way, given the example above, to impose the filius
> paper size on a real landscape A4 without having to scale down the
> PDF document?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>

> Pablo

> ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

* Re: issue with imposition
@ 2009-01-18 21:51   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2009-01-18 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Willi Egger wrote:
> Hi Pablo,
>
> The problem is that the filius-page is higher than the width of an A4.
> So there is no way other than to scale the original pages down to a
> height of 210mm. For this action you can use something like

Thanks for your fast reply. I thought it was possible to set center the
imposed pages, both vertically and horizontally, to define a

> The following code in a tex-file.
>
> \definepapersize[Mypaper][height=210mm,width=123mm]
> \setuppapersize
>   [Mypaper][Mypaper]
> \setuplayout
>   [page]
> \starttext
> \copypages
>   [input.pdf]
>   [scale=905,
>    offset=0pt]
> \stoptext
>
> The resulting pdf-file should then be arranged. However I would  suggest
> not to use 2UP.  Arranging the whole file (351 pages) with 2UP results
> in a rather thick single booklet of 88 A4-sheets. What you can try is to
> setup arranging as follows (untested). Put this code into an environment
> file e.g. arrange.tex

Thanks for the code bellow, but I'm not trying to make a booklet, but to
print the book to cut the paper in two pieces to bound it.

Thanks anyway,

Pablo

* Re: issue with imposition
@ 2009-01-19  9:03     ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2009-01-19  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> Willi Egger wrote:
>> Hi Pablo,
>>
>> The problem is that the filius-page is higher than the width of an A4.
>> So there is no way other than to scale the original pages down to a
>> height of 210mm. For this action you can use something like
>
> Thanks for your fast reply. I thought it was possible to set center the
> imposed pages, both vertically and horizontally, to define a

Sorry, Willi, I sent the reply before it was finished :-(.

What I thought possible was to center the imposed pages both vertically
and horizontally to define smaller paper dimension where some content
beyond the page boundaries (which actually would be empty because of the
page margins).

In the attached image, it is shown what I intend in the upper figure and
what I get in the lower figure.

Thanks for your help,

Pablo

> [...]
>>>       height=middle,
>>>     location=middle,
>>>       header=0pt,
>>>       footer=0pt,
>>>       grid=no, marking=off]
>>> \starttext
>>> \filterpages[ZittrainTheFutureoftheInternet.pdf][4:351][height=21cm]
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> The PDF file can be downloaded from
>>> http://futureoftheinternet.org/static/ZittrainTheFutureoftheInternet.pdf.
>>>

>>> The issue here is that I get a resulting paper size with the filius
>>> height and not with 21cm from A4.
>>>
>>> I have tried have the output in a standard A4 paper size, but all
>>> that I got is a scaled down PDF. I would like to avoid scaling the
>>> document if that were possible.
>>>
>>> Is there any way, given the example above, to impose the filius paper
>>> size on a real landscape A4 without having to scale down the PDF

[-- Attachment #2: imposing.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 5083 bytes --]

* Re: issue with imposition
@ 2009-01-19 22:29 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2009-01-19 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2009-01-18 um 20:05 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez:

> I would like to use the imposition capabilities from ConTeXt to be
> able
> to print a PDF book in a standard laser printer. To save paper, I
> use the 2UP arranging option thanks to this code from the wiki:
>
> \definepapersize	[filius][width=135.9mm, height=231.8mm]

Please refrain from using the page size name "filius" for other sizes
than 92x172mm, it's confusing for everyone who knows "filius" planners!

Willi told you everything else - and apparently you missed to describe
your actual problem, that's more a matter of clipping than of
imposition.
Sorry, can't help you with that. Perhaps you can utilize a tool like
pdftrim?

Or define your paper height as max. 210mm at all - if you need it in
trimmed & imposed form as well as as single pages, consider modes with
different layouts.

If you try to impose a non-ConTeXt PDF, I'd look after placement
options of \filterpages.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---