* Footnotes
@ 2003-10-04 19:02 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2003-10-04 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Just in case some one is interested in detailed footnote problems:

In the last time I was fiddling a lot on the problem of setting up footnotes - the task was to have different defined font and interlinespace sizes for text as well as for footnotes.

The first solution that I constructed with commands and keywords from the manual (and etexshow) seemed to give the desired result:

\setupbodyfont[10pt]
\setupinterlinespace[line=15pt]
\definefont [FNfont][Serif at 8pt]
\def\FNstyle{\FNfont\setupinterlinespace[line=15pt]}
\setupfootnotes[numbercommand=]
\setupfootnotedefinition[style=\FNstyle]

\starttext
\input tufte \footnote{\input knuth }
\input tufte \footnote{\input knuth }
\stoptext

But it just worked OK for *normal* sizes.
When set to extreme values it begun to show strange phenomena (see the distances over and under each first line of a footnote):

\setupbodyfont[4pt]
\setupinterlinespace[line=45pt]
\definefont [FNfont][Serif at 4.5pt]
\def\FNstyle{\FNfont\setupinterlinespace[line=12pt]}
\setupfootnotes[numbercommand=]
\setupfootnotedefinition[style=\FNstyle]

\starttext
\input tufte \footnote{\input knuth }
\input tufte \footnote{\input knuth }
\stoptext

After re-combining the different option and command for setupfootnotes and setupfootnotedefinition without improvement, I started to search through the source files and found the very interesting command \setfootnotebodyfont.

With this command a setup can be written that works, finally:

\setupbodyfont[4pt]
\setupinterlinespace[line=45pt]
\definefont [FNfont][Serif at 4.5pt]
\def\setfootnotebodyfont{\FNfont\setupinterlinespace[line=12pt]}
\setupfootnotes[numbercommand=]
\setupfootnotedefinition[style=\FNfont]

\starttext
\input tufte \footnote{\input knuth }
\input tufte \footnote{\input knuth }
\stoptext

Maybe this helps someone.

Steffen
P.S. If there is still need for improvement, please correct.

* font mystery
@ 2003-10-05  9:15 ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2003-10-05  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

My brain is spinning, I hope somebody can help me. I am trying to
create a new font (with pfaedit), and things seem to be working well. i
now have most uppercase and lowercase characters. When I run "pdftex
testfont *Myfont *\table *\bye," I get all the glyphs I created. When I
do the same with tex or pdfetex, I get all the glyphs I created. When I
produce a simple testfile for ConteXt, some of the glyphs (specifically
some of the uppercase characters) are simply missing. But pdfetex can
create them! What am I doing wrong??? Here's my simple file:

\definefontsynonym[Greekfont][Myfont]

\definefont[MySecondFont][Greekfont]

\starttext

\MySecondFont abcdefghijklmnopqrstuwxyz

A D E F G H J K M N O P Q R S T U Z

\stoptext

On the pdf, I get all the lowercase glyphs + A G O P Q R T Z, but not
the other glyphs, all of them defined, all of them present in my
testfont.pdf. The log doesn't show any warning vel. sim. I tried
playing around with several encodings both in pfaedit (I used Adobe
Standard, TeX8r, iso 8859) and my tex-file (I tried 8r, texnansi, ec),
all to no avail. Does anybody have a clue what's going wrong here? It
almost looks like ConteXt is using some old cache instead of the just
created tfm and pfb files, but where would that be? I am completely
baffled!

Best

Thomas

* Re: font mystery
@ 2003-10-10 17:05 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-10-10 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> No, it is a (postscript) font I'm creating myself, so there is no
> pk-file. I'm having the same trouble again this morning: edited
> pfb-file, saved, new file is used in pdftex testfont, Context is still
> using the old version.

... of what? the tfm file or the pfb file?

ConTeXt does not cache anything. So the probability that your system is
misconfigured is > 0. I've forgotten: what system are you using?

Patrick
--
You are your own rainbow!

* Re: font mystery
@ 2003-10-05 10:46 Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2003-10-05 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe one further element that would suggest Context is using a cached
copy of the tfm-file instead of the newly created file: when I move the
file Myfont.tfm out of the $home/texmf/fonts/tfm directory, pdftex
gives me the expected error "! I can't find file `Myfont'." However,
Context will still happily produce output--with an outdated copy of the
tfm! So context must be caching it somewhere, and I need to flush that
cache. Anyone an idea how this can be done?

Thanks

Thomas