* Re: Going crazy with font conversion (macron)!
@ 2005-03-23 11:54 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-23 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Lindsay <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Hum. I haven't tried to replicate that here, but that looks like it
>  might be an encoding problem: ConTeXt doesn't know that you're using a
>  texnansi encoding, so it synthesises the characters using the
>  definitions in enco-def. Is the above file the only way you tested it?

No, also with other conversion and in other files it is the same.

>  Does this help?
>
>  \loadmapline[+Helvetica Helvetica " TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont "
>  <texnansi.enc <Helvetica.pfb]
>  \definefontsynonym[texnansi-Helvetica][Helvetica][encoding=texnansi]
>
>  \starttext
>  \definedfont[texnansi-Helvetica]
>  R\d{o} R{\=o} R\~o
>  \stoptext

Well, then the tilde moves in its right position.
But the macron stays left.

A font wizard knows what that means?!

Steffen

* Re: Going crazy with font conversion (macron)!
@ 2005-03-23 12:34 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-03-23 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 Mar 2005, at 11:54, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Well, then the tilde moves in its right position.
> But the macron stays left.
>
> A font wizard knows what that means?!

It means that there's no \omacron in texnansi (or the other major
western encodings used for TeX fonts), and you're asking ConTeXt to
synthesise it from an 'o' and a 'textmacron'. It wouldn't surprise me
one bit to hear that the Mac handles combining accents differently from
TeX, and so the converted font's metrics is going to result in mistakes
in building text accents.

Interpretation: you're using artificial test cases to verify the font
installation. Stick to what you need and know, and you'll probably end
up with a character in the encoding.

If you do need \omacron and the like, then you could hand-tune macros
that accommodate the specific font--see Idris's recent thread on
accents, or you could cook up an "expert" encoding (since MacOSX's
Helvetica does include that character) like Vit, and switch to that
encoding when you need the character, or you could even go with a big
unicode font install. I'll be documenting that process sometime.

adam

* Re: Going crazy with font conversion (macron)!
@ 2005-03-24 20:06   ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-03-24 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Lindsay wrote:
> Steffen Wolfrum said this at Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:16:22 +0100:
>
>>Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

>>> There exist the Knuthian programs tftopl (for tfm only) and
>>> vftovp (for virtual fonts) that convert to 'property list'
>>> format. The format is an ASCCI representation, but Whether or
>>> not you think this is human readable depends on what kind of
>>> human you are ;-)
>>>
>>> Anyway, the commands should be part of your installation already.
>>>
>>> Taco
>>
>>The idea was to translate TFM (and VF?) in a readable format, and
>>back again, in order to be able of making little kerning adjustments:
>>When  the font is already Tex-installed and in use, but finally there
>>is one kerning pair that doesn't look good enough, I wanted to be
>>able to make this particular adjustment in the kerning table without
>>starting from AFM and going the whole conversion and installation way
>>again.
>
> That's the idea behind the Property List format.
> pltotf (and vptovf) will go in the other direction.

??? I do not thing so.

Just like you want:
*.tfm --tftppl--> *.pl --editor--> *.pl --pltotf--> *.tfm

Kerning table *is* present in the Property list.

vit

* Re: Going crazy with font conversion (macron)!
@ 2005-03-24 15:32 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-03-24 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum said this at Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:16:22 +0100:

>Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>
>>  Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>>  > BTW:
>>  >
>>  > Is there also a command to translate TFM (and VF) files to AFM or
>>  > another human readable format and back again?
>>
>>  There exist the Knuthian programs tftopl (for tfm only) and
>>  vftovp (for virtual fonts) that convert to 'property list'
>>  format. The format is an ASCCI representation, but Whether or
>>  not you think this is human readable depends on what kind of
>>  human you are ;-)
>>
>>  Anyway, the commands should be part of your installation already.
>>
>>  Taco
>

>The idea was to translate TFM (and VF?) in a readable format, and
>back again, in order to be able of making little kerning adjustments:
>When  the font is already Tex-installed and in use, but finally there
>is one kerning pair that doesn't look good enough, I wanted to be
>able to make this particular adjustment in the kerning table without
>starting from AFM and going the whole conversion and installation way
>again.

That's the idea behind the Property List format.
pltotf (and vptovf) will go in the other direction.
 Adam T. Lindsay, Computing Dept.     atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Lancaster University, InfoLab21        +44(0)1524/510.514
 Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/510.492

* Re: Going crazy with font conversion (macron)!
@ 2005-03-24 14:16 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-24 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-03-24 12:19 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-03-24 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: atl

@ 2005-03-24 12:08 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-24 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: atl

@ 2005-03-23 13:14 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-23 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Lindsay <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk> wrote:

>  It means that there's no \omacron in texnansi (or the other major
>  western encodings used for TeX fonts), and you're asking ConTeXt to
>  synthesise it from an 'o' and a 'textmacron'. It wouldn't surprise me
>  one bit to hear that the Mac handles combining accents differently from
>  TeX, and so the converted font's metrics is going to result in mistakes
>  in building text accents.
>
>  Interpretation: you're using artificial test cases to verify the font
>  installation. Stick to what you need and know, and you'll probably end
>  up with a character in the encoding.

No! I do need \omacron as I am typesetting the German translation of
a Indian Yoga book ... with lots of Sanskrit (in latin alphabet plus
all those diacritical accents)!

>  If you do need \omacron and the like, then you could hand-tune macros
>  that accommodate the specific font--see Idris's recent thread on
>  accents, or you could cook up an "expert" encoding (since MacOSX's
>  Helvetica does include that character) like Vit, and switch to that
>  encoding when you need the character, or you could even go with a big
>  unicode font install. I'll be documenting that process sometime.

That would be quite interesting.

(But for now I leave this workshop and use the HelveticaNeue to go on.)

Thank you,

Steffen