From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: [NTG-context] Re: incosistent output of --- dash
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 07:41:23 +0200	[thread overview]

> Henning Hraban Ramm schrieb am 06.04.2024 um 12:23:
>> Am 06.04.24 um 11:43 schrieb madiazm.eoicc@gmail.com:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> I'm a bit puzzled because I usually don't get an em-dash when I type
>>> tree hyphens. If I use the command \emdash, no problem but when I use
>>> the hyphens some days it works... and somedays I see three small
>>> hyphens.
>>> I tried it on overleaf and of ContextOnWeb with the same
>>> inconsistency. If I create a new file it usually works right; but
>>> when I overwrite an existing file subtituting a hyphen for three
>>> where the dash should be I sometimes get it right and sometimes wrong.
>>> It is not the pdf viewer since I get good or bad results in all, the
>>> overleaf pdf preview tool, the context on web preview tool and the
>>> mozilla integrated pdf viewer.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something on the use of this ligature? (the question is
>>> just out of curiosity, since I plan to create a command that adds a
>>> hairspace after or before the dash, since I don't like it to stick to
>>> some letters like "o".
>>
>> Generally, “we” try to reduce active characters as much as possible,
>> that’s why -- and --- usually /don’t/ produce en or em dashes. You can
>> activate these ligatures as a font feature though (AFAIR
>> "latexhyphens", can’t find it…).
>
> The name of the option has changes a few times and the current setting
> is textcontrol=collapsehyphens.
>
>> Some editors and some fonts do automatical replacements.
>
> In this case it could be the wrong symbol in the document, there are
> many dashes in unicode which look similar in the input and output files.
>
> \starttext
>
> \startbuffer
> \starttabulate[|T||||]
> \NC U+0002D \NC - \NC -- \NC --- \NC\NR
> \NC U+02011 \NC ‑ \NC ‑‑ \NC ‑‑‑ \NC\NR
> \NC U+02012 \NC ‒ \NC ‒‒ \NC ‒‒‒ \NC\NR
> \stoptabulate
> \stopbuffer
>
> \getbuffer
>
> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
>
> \getbuffer
>
> \stoptext
detail: it is not a real fontfeature (as tlig in mkiv) but implemented
differently with a bit more control, so we have

\nohyphencollapsing
\dohyphencollapsing

etc too as control options. These collapsed hyphens are also configured
as valid hyphenation chars.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl