* Context broken after update to tetex
@ 2002-02-03 17:44 Tomasz Kosinski
       [not found] ` <3C5DBA87.61DE96F0@net-b.de>
From: Tomasz Kosinski @ 2002-02-03 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

After updating the tetex installation on my system (Debian Woody),
ConTeXt no longer worked:

  $ texexec --verbose test.tex

   TeXExec 2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001

       locating ini file : not found by kpsewhich
       locating ini file : not found by searching
       locating ini file : no environment variable set
       locating ini file : not found in own path
                 warning : texexec.ini not found, did you read 'texexec.rme'?

then, I was unable to find texexec. ini or texexec.rme

  $ locate texexec.rme
  $ locate texexec.rme
  $ kpsewhich texexec.ini

I did find /usr/share/texmf/context/config/texexec, which contained the
following:
  % == introduction ==
  %
  % This is 'texexec.ini', the file used by texexec to determine where
  % to find files, what TeX to use, what flags to pass, etc. Although
  % TeXexec tries to locate things itself, a little help is sometimes
  % needed. One can influence texexec by setting some variables. These
  % are only needed when the automatic determined settings fail.

and
  % == read this too ==
  %
  % If this file is called 'texexec.rme', copy it to 'texexec.ini',
  % check the settings above, change them according to your TeX
  % distribution, and say:
  %
  %   texexec  --verbose
  %
  % When set up properly, you should see your local settings fly by.
  % When these settings are ok, the next call should work:
  %
  %   texexec  --make
  %
  % and you should be able to process a file by saying
  %
  %   texexec  filename

so, I followed instructions, copied the file to
/usr/share/texmf/context/config/texexec.ini and ran texexec --verbose,
which produced:
$ texexec --verbose

 TeXExec 2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001

     locating ini file : found by kpsewhich
               reading : /usr/share/texmf/context/config/texexec.ini
               setting : 'TeXShell' to 'tetex' for 'all'
               setting : 'UsedInterfaces' to 'en nl de uk' for 'all'
               setting : 'UserInterface' to 'en' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'tex' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpExecutable' to 'mpost' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpToTeXExecutable' to 'mpto' for 'all'
               setting : 'DviToMpExecutable' to 'dvitomp' for 'all'
               setting : 'DviSpecialScript' to 'dvispec' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpFormat' to 'metafun' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXFormatFlag' to '&' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpFormatFlag' to '&' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXFontsPath' to 'l:/tex/texmf;l:/tex/texmf-local;' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'pdfetex' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'TeXVirginFlag' to '-ini' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'TeXPassString' to '-progname=context' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'TeXBatchFlag' to '-int=batchmode' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'MpToTeXExecutable' to 'mpto' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'MpVirginFlag' to '-ini' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'MpPassString' to '-progname=mpost' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'MpBatchFlag' to '-int=batchmode' for 'tetex'

          used setting : TeXShell = tetex
          used setting : SetupPath =
          used setting : UserInterface = en
          used setting : UsedInterfaces = en nl de uk
          used setting : TeXFontsPath = l:/tex/texmf;l:/tex/texmf-local;
          used setting : MpExecutable = mpost
          used setting : MpToTeXExecutable = mpto
          used setting : DviToMpExecutable = dvitomp
          used setting : TeXProgramPath =
          used setting : TeXFormatPath =
          used setting : ConTeXtPath =
          used setting : TeXScriptsPath =
          used setting : TeXExecutable = pdfetex
          used setting : TeXVirginFlag = -ini
          used setting : TeXBatchFlag = -int=batchmode
          used setting : MpBatchFlag = -int=batchmode
          used setting : TeXPassString = -progname=context
          used setting : TeXFormatFlag = &
          used setting : MpFormatFlag = &
          used setting : MpVirginFlag = -ini
          used setting : MpPassString = -progname=mpost
          used setting : MpFormat = metafun
          used setting : FmtLanguage =
          used setting : FmtBodyFont =
          used setting : FmtResponse =
          used setting : TcXPath =

      locating fmtutil : found
                --help   show this or more, e.g. '--help interface'

so then after texexec --make, I get

$ texexec test.tex

 TeXExec 2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : test
                output : standard
             interface : en
          current mode : all
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00a-pretest-20011114-ojmw-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.7)
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

              run time : 0 seconds

so I tried, according to previous posts to this list, "texexec --make
--alone" and "texexec --make --alone en nl", always texexec seems to
compile, yet I always obtain the same "Fatal format file error". I have
tried running "texconfig confall" fmtutil and texhash after "texexec
--make", and nothing makes ConTeXt work.

So now, I'm stymied. I don't know how to diagnose the problem further (I
am an end-user not a sys admin). The only other clue is that at the end
of the output of "fmtutil", many other *.fmt or *.efmt files are reported
but not cont*

No pages of output.
Transcript written on amstex.log.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/amstex.fmt successfully generated.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/lambda.fmt successfully generated.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/latex.fmt successfully generated.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/omega.fmt successfully generated.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/pdflatex.fmt successfully generated.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/pdftex.fmt successfully generated.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/tex.fmt successfully generated.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/elatex.efmt successfully generated.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/etex.efmt successfully generated.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/pdfelatex.efmt successfully generated.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/pdfetex.efmt successfully generated.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mpost.mem successfully generated.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mf.base successfully generated.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mfw.base successfully generated.

and, at the beginning of "texconfig confall":

SanMarco:~# texconfig confall
==================== binaries found by searching $PATH ===================
tex:    /usr/bin/tex
etex:   /usr/bin/etex
pdftex: /usr/bin/pdftex
omega:  /usr/bin/omega
mf:     /usr/bin/mf
mpost:  /usr/bin/mpost
tcdialog not found.
dvips:  /usr/bin/dvips
xdvi:   /usr/bin/xdvi
kpsewhich:      /usr/bin/kpsewhich
mktexpk:        /usr/bin/mktexpk
mktextfm:       /usr/bin/mktextfm

=========================== Kpathsea variables ===========================
TEXMF={/root/texmf,!!/usr/local/lib/texmf,!!/usr/share/texmf}

I believe the texexec files are in the right place:

  $ locate texexec
  /usr/bin/texexec
  /usr/share/man/man1/texexec.1.gz
  /usr/share/texmf/context/config/texexec
  /usr/share/texmf/context/config/texexec.ini
  /var/cache/man/cat1/texexec.1.gz

However, if I look in texmf.cnf, the relevant section seems to be

  % Context macros by Hans Hagen:
  TEXINPUTS.context =
  .;$TEXMF/{pdftex,etex,tex}/{context,plain,generic,}//

I guess this to mean that texconfig, etc will search in the
...texmf/tex/context dir, not the .../texmf/context dir.

My dir structure:

/usr/share/texmf/context:
  drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Feb  1 02:59 config
  drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Feb  1 01:53 data
  drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Feb  1 01:53 perltk

and
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context:
  drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root        16384 Feb  1 01:53 base
  drwxr-xr-t    2 root     root         4096 Jan 30 22:30 config
  drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Feb  1 01:53 extra
  drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Feb  1 01:53 sample
  drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Feb  1 01:53 user

The /config dir in the search path is empty, and texexec.ini is in
.../texmf/context/config

Should I change the search path in texmf.cnf or should I move the config
files to the dir in the search path? Or does the problem lie somehere
else altogether?

Sorry for the very long post...I really appreciate any help - I need to
get back a functioning ConTeXt. Thanks so much,

Tomasz

* Re: Context broken after update to tetex
       [not found] ` <3C5DBA87.61DE96F0@net-b.de>
@ 2002-02-04 14:10   ` Tomasz Kosinski
From: Tomasz Kosinski @ 2002-02-04 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tobias Burnus <burnus@net-b.de> writes:

[...]

> Here it works -- but dumps the files in the current directory :-(
>
> Why don't you use 'fmtutil --edit' (and uncomment the cont-* lines)
> and do a fmtutil --all
> => Simple anwer it doesn't work.
>
> WHO AS BUILD THIS PACKAGE
>
> Add files of this type in $TEXMF/tex/context/config:
> --------cont-de.ini---------
> % This is a configuration file needed for Thomas Esser's teTeX. Don't
> % forget to uncomment the context specific lines in "fmtutil --edit".
> % You may want to read the ConTeXt installation manual "minstall.pdf".
> \input cont-de.tex
> \endinput
> --------cont-de.ini---------
>
> they are used by fmtutil ... => Bug 132237
>
> I think I will continue to use my own context tree ...
>
> Tobias
>
> PS: If you want to read the bugreports ...

Thanks Tobias, I am still working on it,

@ 2002-02-07 13:39   ` Tomasz Kosinski
From: Tomasz Kosinski @ 2002-02-07 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tobias Burnus <burnus@net-b.de> writes:

> Hi Tomasz,
>
> > After updating the tetex installation on my system (Debian Woody),
> > ConTeXt no longer worked:
> Now I know why I have my own ~/texmf ;-)

[...]

Hi Tobias,

After fighting with my tetex for a few more days, I followed your
example and created my own ~/texmf, where ConTeXt now is. I (manually)
removed the context branches from /usr/share/texmf, as root, and I
followed as closely as possible all the instructions in minstall.pdf
(stripped suffixes from perl scripts in ~/texmf/context/,
and I now get:

$ texexec ~/texdocs/framed.tex

 TeXExec 2.6 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : /home/tomasz/texdocs/framed
                output : standard
             interface : en
          current mode : all
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00a-pretest-20011114-ojmw-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.7)
entering extended mode
(/home/tomasz/texdocs/framed.tex
Error: pdfetex (file pdftex.cfg): cannot open config file

              run time : 1 seconds

        total run time : 1 seconds

I have manually (as root) edited the pdftex.cfg which I don't think has
anything to do with this problem. Could this be a file permissions
problem? ConTeXt of which I am the owner? I think texmf.cfg is
configured correctly, from part 1:

TEXMFMAIN = /usr/share/texmf

TEXMFLOCAL = /usr/local/lib/texmf

HOMETEXMF = $HOME/texmf

TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

SYSTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL;$TEXMFMAIN

VARTEXFONTS = /var/spool/texmf

TEXMFDBS = $HOMETEXMF;$TEXMFLOCAL;$TEXMFMAIN;$VARTEXFONTS

and of course I have run "texconfig confall" and "fmtutil --all"
repeatedly. Still, no luck.

Any help? Will be greatly appreciated, thanks,

@ 2002-02-08 11:13     ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2002-02-08 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Tomasz,

> > > After updating the tetex installation on my system (Debian Woody),
> > > ConTeXt no longer worked:
> > Now I know why I have my own ~/texmf ;-)
I do a:
mkdir texmf
cd texmf && unzip -La ../cont-tmf.zip
update-context-fmt

with
--------------------------------
#!/bin/bash
HOMETEXMF=${HOME}/texmf
HYPHENFILE=`fmtutil --showhyphen cont-de`
texhash
chmod a+x ${HOMETEXMF}/context/perltk/*.pl
for I in ${HOMETEXMF}/context/perltk/*.pl
do
   ln -sf ${I} ${HOME}/bin/`basename ${I/.pl/}`
done
mkdir -p ${HOMETEXMF}/web2c
fmtutil --fmtdir ${HOMETEXMF}/web2c --byhyphen ${HYPHENFILE}
cd ${HOMETEXMF}/web2c && mpost -ini metafun
cd ${HOMETEXMF}/web2c && pdfetex -ini mptopdf
texhash
chmod -R a+r ${HOMETEXMF}
---------------------------------
which works ok. here.

Tobias

* Re: Context broken after update to tetex
@ 2002-02-10  1:20       ` Tomasz Kosinski
From: Tomasz Kosinski @ 2002-02-10  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tobias Burnus <tobias.burnus@physik.fu-berlin.de> writes:

> Hi Tomasz,

> > > Now I know why I have my own ~/texmf ;-)
> I do a:
> mkdir texmf
> cd texmf && unzip -La ../cont-tmf.zip
> update-context-fmt
>
> with
> --------------------------------
> #!/bin/bash
> HOMETEXMF=${HOME}/texmf
> HYPHENFILE=`fmtutil --showhyphen cont-de`
> texhash
> chmod a+x ${HOMETEXMF}/context/perltk/*.pl
> for I in ${HOMETEXMF}/context/perltk/*.pl
> do
>    ln -sf ${I} ${HOME}/bin/`basename ${I/.pl/}`
> done
> mkdir -p ${HOMETEXMF}/web2c
> fmtutil --fmtdir ${HOMETEXMF}/web2c --byhyphen ${HYPHENFILE}
> cd ${HOMETEXMF}/web2c && mpost -ini metafun
> cd ${HOMETEXMF}/web2c && pdfetex -ini mptopdf
> texhash
> chmod -R a+r ${HOMETEXMF}
> which works ok. here.
>
> Tobias

Thank you Tobias. Your script works for me and I now having a working
ConTeXt again, which, without your help, I wouldn't.

Tomasz