Revisiting this one---as noted in the thread \, used to work in text mode; according to the logs it was deprecated and now produces an error preventing most of my documents from compiling. Is there solution that restores \, (and friends) for abbreviated spacing in text mode that doesn't require bulk changes to all of my documents (and making the source documents hard to type/read)? I appreciate using the more verbose \thinspace in macros but the abbreviations have real value in bulk text, especially when heavily used. I have many uses throughout my documents where I need a thin space (such as working with SI units) where it would be very awkward to use \thinspace everywhere in the source text. for example, consider a simple example that used to work but no longer does with the alternatives that I'm aware of: 32\,MiB--64\,MiB 32$\,$MiB--64$\,$MiB 32\thinspace MiB--64\thinspace MiB The difference in both writeability and readability for these cases is significant, especially when there are many uses close together in either text or table. Thanks, ---K Re: log: use \thinspace instead of \, On 6/30/2021 10:57 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote: Alan Braslau schrieb am 29.06.2021 um 17:40: On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 14:06:02 +0200 Henning Hraban Ramm > wrote: Maybe, but in running text I use \, all the time e.\,g. in abbreviations or for numbers (10\,000). At least in German typography these “spatiums” are necessary. In French typography as well. Indeed, American: 10,000.00 French: 10\,000,00 (and other languages). This is quite readable, and much preferred to the use of any kind of macro that might format numbers according to language. I find that students often need such helpers when deciphering many digits. Let's not forget all of these spaces commands are used in math mode. Sure, and thet adaot to math mode. They will nto dissppear, it's just that in macros I like more verbose names. Hans Kevin W. Rudd, Ph.D. CAPT, USN (Ret) Computer Architecture & Computer Engineering Advanced Computing Systems (ACS) Research Program Laboratory for Physical Sciences (LPS) 443-654-7878 kevin@lps.umd.edu Visiting Research Professor United States Naval Academy rudd@usna.edu --------------------------------------