* In-text itemizations break spacing
@ 2011-01-04 16:44 Philipp A.
From: Philipp A. @ 2011-01-04 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt Mainling List

Hi ConTeXtans,

\startitemize[text] is a very cool command, but i run frequently into
“Overfull \hbox” errors.

It would be nice if some context magicians would change the ~1em-wide space
in front of the “•” or “(1.)” to scale and compensate the majority of line
width issues. (you can easily chop off or add loads of space to a 1em-space
without making it ugly)

i hope you dig my idea,
Philipp

PS: if somebody doesn’t know how \startitemize[text] looks like; about like
this: „Formen sind • Überspringen von Exons, • Benutzung alternativer 3’-
und 5’-Splice-Stellen, • und alle Kombinationen aus oben genanntem.“ (You’ll
need a proportional Font to see this and gmail and the mailing list need to
conserve the em quad…)

* Re: In-text itemizations break spacing
@ 2011-01-04 17:30 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-01-04 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.01.2011 um 17:44 schrieb Philipp A.:

> Hi ConTeXtans,
>
> \startitemize[text] is a very cool command, but i run frequently into “Overfull \hbox” errors.
>
> It would be nice if some context magicians would change the ~1em-wide space in front of the “•” or “(1.)” to scale and compensate the majority of line width issues. (you can easily chop off or add loads of space to a 1em-space without making it ugly)
>
> i hope you dig my idea,

Make a example next time!

\showframe
\setbreakpoints[compound]
\starttext
„Formen sind
\startitemize[text][textdistance=medium]
\item Überspringen von Exons,
\item Benutzung alternativer 3’- und 5’-Splice-Stellen,
\item und alle Kombinationen
\stopitemize
aus oben genanntem.“
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: In-text itemizations break spacing
@ 2011-01-04 17:51   ` Philipp A.
From: Philipp A. @ 2011-01-04 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/1/4 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>

> Make a example next time!
>
> [Example]
>
> Wolfgang

so [textdistance=medium] is the solution, thanks!

nevertheless, i couldn’t find documentation about “textdistance”, and i
don’t think it to be very intuitive, that this changes the space to be more
flexible.
would you mind telling me why this is the case, and why this isn’t standard
behavior?

* Re: In-text itemizations break spacing
@ 2011-01-04 18:58     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-01-04 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.01.2011 um 18:51 schrieb Philipp A.:

> 2011/1/4 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>
> Make a example next time!
>
> [Example]
>
> Wolfgang
>
> so [textdistance=medium] is the solution, thanks!
>
> nevertheless, i couldn’t find documentation about “textdistance”,

The option was added last march and it’s now up to you to document it.

The values for the key are

none   : no distance between items
small  : half the value of a normal space, can be stretched by half of a em
medium : normal space distance, can be stretched by 1em
big    : 1em, can be stretched or shrinked by a space width
<skip> : e.g. 3pt plus 2pt minus 1pt

> and i don’t think it to be very intuitive, that this changes the space to be more flexible.

sorry but i forgot why we used these values, maybe a smaller stretch value for small and medium make sense

> would you mind telling me why this is the case, and why this isn’t standard behavior?

backward compatibility, i would also prefer “medium” as default value

Wolfgang

* Re: In-text itemizations break spacing
@ 2011-01-04 20:33       ` Philipp A.
From: Philipp A. @ 2011-01-04 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

been there <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Reference/en/setupitemgroup>, done
that <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Reference/en/keyword:textdistance>.

> and i don’t think it to be very intuitive, that this changes the space to
> be more flexible.
>
> sorry but i forgot why we used these values, maybe a smaller stretch value
> for small and medium make sense

i don’t think so (or at least not much less), and i meant sth. different:
“textdistance=medium” does not mean “greater flexibility”, it does mean “no
change in flexibility, just in distance”. using medium as standard value
would be ok, though, because you get the flexible (=mostly better) behavior
as standard, and the rigid as option.

> would you mind telling me why this is the case, and why this isn’t standard
> behavior?
>
> backward compatibility, i would also prefer “medium” as default value

can’t we just screw backward compatibility at all costs here? i mean:
“medium” won’t make it worse in most cases, just better! (the maximum space
is 1em+1sp, so we probably will never get different hyphenation, but almost
always less overfull \hboxes)

also, \setbreakpoints[compound] should be standard in my opinion.

Wolfgang

thanks for the answer,

phil

* Re: In-text itemizations break spacing
@ 2011-01-05  9:24         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-01-05  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.01.2011 um 21:33 schrieb Philipp A.:

> can’t we just screw backward compatibility at all costs here? i mean: “medium” won’t make it worse in most cases, just better!

it’s up to Hans but i would also prefer “medium” as standard value in mkiv

> (the maximum space is 1em+1sp, so we probably will never get different hyphenation, but almost always less overfull \hboxes)

the overfull box in your example was caused by the compound word at the end off the line, besides \setbreakpoints you can reduce such message with different settings for \setupalign (e.g. with verytolerant or stretch or hz etc.)

Wolfgang