* [NTG-context] update
@ 2023-04-26 21:55 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-04-26 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a new version with some new features discussed at the end of
this mail.

- A next version of luatex will break context (format making etc) but
the change is unavoidable because of other macro package demands wrt
security (context does that differently). The low level start up command
has been adapted so unless you update indepdently thinsg should work ok.
  Of course this has no consequences for lmtx.

- I've done a bit of callback cleanup (like getting rid of some mkiv
luatex left-overs). It should have no effect on regular usage.

- There again a few improvements wrt math (this time dealing with
accents artifacts in some fonts). We check all the free math fonts for
potential issues and then try to fix it (read: deal with it). It's a lot
of work but we're getting there.

- A few reported buglets have been fixed.

- The biggest addition is however a new number model. In metapost one
can now use 'posit' (positfun instance) as number mode which will use
(currently 32 bit but at some point 64 bit) posit unums. It's also bit
of a playground because 32 bit posits are not more accurate than 64 bit
doubles. It anyhow exposed some potential issues that we'll look into.

- There's also a (again currently 32 bit) posit library at the Lua end
as playground.

- However, 32 bit posits come in handy at the tex end because they pack
better accuracy in 32 bits than floats and it makes it possible to have
native floats, so we have:

\newfloat  (uses \floatdef, register like \dimendef is used in \newdimen)

\newposit  (uses \positdef, like \dimensiondef etc)

\floatexpr (like \numexpr)

\iffloat   (like \ifnum) (also \ifabsfloat and i'll add the others too)

Actually it adds an extra range of registers so it bumps memory usage a
bit. I'm considering lowering the number of registers (currently 64K per
category) because after all, if 64K is not enough then we can as well
stick to 32K or 16K (for some even less). There's always Lua for
unlimited storage of quantities.

So,

\newfloat\fooA

\scratchdimen=123.456pt\relax        [\type{dim:}
\the\scratchdimen==123.456pt]\par
\fooA        =123.456\relax          [\type{pos:} \the\fooA
==123.456]  \par
\fooA        =\scratchdimen\relax    [\type{pos:} \the\fooA
==123.456]  \par
\scratchdimen=\fooA\relax            [\type{dim:}
\the\scratchdimen==123.456pt]\par
\scratchdimen\dimexpr\fooA+10pt\relax[\type{dim:}
\the\scratchdimen==133.456pt]\par

produces

[dim: 123.456pt==123.456pt]
[pos: 123.45600128173828==123.456]
[pos: 123.45599365234375==123.456]
[dim: 123.456pt==123.456pt]
[dim: 133.456pt==133.456pt]

As you can see dimens will get mapped onto floats not as integers
(scaled points) but in pt units. Counts stay numbers. I need to handle
glue too (not yet done).

In the future I might use this for fractions but there might be some
rough ends so for now it's experimental.

Hans

* Re: [NTG-context] update
@ 2023-04-26 23:54 ` Jairo A. del Rio via ntg-context
From: Jairo A. del Rio via ntg-context @ 2023-04-26 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Hans. The following happens with the last update:

resolvers       > lua > unknown file 'node-pag.lua'

error loading file: node-pag.lua (aborting)

Indeed, the file is missing in the distribution (there's only
node-pag.mkxl). Regards

* Re: [NTG-context] update
@ 2023-04-27  0:50 ` lynx--- via ntg-context
From: lynx--- via ntg-context @ 2023-04-27  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Re: performing update(s)

New to conTeXt, have not performed a specific update prior to this.

My conTeXt installation is part of TeXlive-2023 (under Linux OS). Will
the updates to ConTeXt be handled by tlmgr ?

Thanks,

On 2023-04-26 14:55, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:

> [...]
> \fooA        =123.456\relax          [\type{pos:} \the\fooA ==123.456]  \par
> \fooA        =\scratchdimen\relax    [\type{pos:} \the\fooA ==123.456]  \par
> \scratchdimen=\fooA\relax            [\type{dim:} \the\scratchdimen==123.456pt]\par
> \scratchdimen\dimexpr\fooA+10pt\relax[\type{dim:} \the\scratchdimen==133.456pt]\par
>
> produces
>
> [dim: 123.456pt==123.456pt]
> [pos: 123.45600128173828==123.456]
> [pos: 123.45599365234375==123.456]
> [dim: 123.456pt==123.456pt]
> [dim: 133.456pt==133.456pt]
>
> As you can see dimens will get mapped onto floats not as integers (scaled points) but in pt units. Counts stay numbers. I need to handle glue too (not yet done).
>
> In the future I might use this for fractions but there might be some rough ends so for now it's experimental.

Links:
------
[1] http://www.pragma-ade.nl
[2] http://www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: [NTG-context] update
@ 2023-04-27  1:52   ` Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2023-04-27  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lynx--- via ntg-context; +Cc: Aditya Mahajan

On Wed, 26 Apr 2023, lynx--- via ntg-context wrote:

> Re: performing update(s)
>
> New to conTeXt, have not performed a specific update prior to this.
>
> My conTeXt installation is part of TeXlive-2023 (under Linux OS). Will
> the updates to ConTeXt be handled by tlmgr ?

No. Usually, texlive updates context once a year.

Aditya

* Re: [NTG-context] update
@ 2023-04-27  2:25   ` Rik Kabel via ntg-context
From: Rik Kabel via ntg-context @ 2023-04-27  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Rik Kabel

On 2023-04-26 19:54, Jairo A. del Rio via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi, Hans. The following happens with the last update:

> resolvers       > lua > unknown file 'node-pag.lua'
>
> error loading file: node-pag.lua (aborting)
>
> Indeed, the file is missing in the distribution (there's only
> node-pag.mkxl). Regards

Same here, Windows 11 x64.

--
Rik

* Re: [NTG-context] update
@ 2023-04-27  2:34     ` Jairo A. del Rio via ntg-context
From: Jairo A. del Rio via ntg-context @ 2023-04-27  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is weird, but documents compile just fine if I comment the following
line in node-pag.mkxl:

\registerctxlua{node-pag}{}

Maybe leftovers from some experiment here?

Best regards.

El mié, 26 abr 2023 a la(s) 21:25, Rik Kabel via ntg-context (
ntg-context@ntg.nl) escribió:

> On 2023-04-26 19:54, Jairo A. del Rio via ntg-context wrote:
> > Hi, Hans. The following happens with the last update:

> > resolvers       > lua > unknown file 'node-pag.lua'
> >
> > error loading file: node-pag.lua (aborting)
> >
> > Indeed, the file is missing in the distribution (there's only
> > node-pag.mkxl). Regards
>

> Same here, Windows 11 x64.
>
> --
> Rik

* Re: [NTG-context] update
@ 2023-04-27  5:11     ` Max Chernoff via ntg-context
From: Max Chernoff via ntg-context @ 2023-04-27  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Max Chernoff

Hi Lynx, Aditya,

> > New to conTeXt, have not performed a specific update prior to this.
> >
> > My conTeXt installation is part of TeXlive-2023 (under Linux OS). Will
> > the updates to ConTeXt be handled by tlmgr ?
>
> No. Usually, texlive updates context once a year.

This is correct in general, but this specific update *will* end up in
TL2023 due to the engine changes that Hans mentioned. It's not in TL
yet, but we're actively working on it, so it should show up within a
week or so (hopefully).

Thanks,
-- Max

* Re: [NTG-context] update
@ 2023-04-27  7:38   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-04-27  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 4/27/2023 2:50 AM, lynx--- via ntg-context wrote:
> Re: performing update(s)
>
> New to conTeXt, have not performed a specific update prior to this.
>
> My conTeXt installation is part of TeXlive-2023 (under Linux OS). Will
> the updates to ConTeXt be handled by tlmgr ?
Basically tex live is the yearly snapshot. I actually dont' know the
rules for updating texlive but there are definitely updates. But as much
relates there (like engines shared between macro packages) it can be
that only macros get updated and not engines (also relates to multiple
platforms) so fundamental changes to luatex as engine .. hard to predict.

But you can just install the lmtx installation alongside (it's small
compared to tex live) and have the best of both worlds. The lmtx
installation also has mkiv. It also comes with the fonts that match what
we expect in context (as fonts get updated or changed).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [NTG-context] update
@ 2023-04-27  7:52   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-04-27  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jairo A. del Rio via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 4/27/2023 1:54 AM, Jairo A. del Rio via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi, Hans. The following happens with the last update:

> resolvers       > lua > unknown file 'node-pag.lua'
>
> error loading file: node-pag.lua (aborting)
>
> Indeed, the file is missing in the distribution (there's only
> node-pag.mkxl). Regards
fixed

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [NTG-context] update
@ 2023-04-27  7:58       ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-04-27  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Chernoff via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 4/27/2023 7:11 AM, Max Chernoff via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi Lynx, Aditya,
>

>>> New to conTeXt, have not performed a specific update prior to this.
>>>
>>> My conTeXt installation is part of TeXlive-2023 (under Linux OS). Will
>>> the updates to ConTeXt be handled by tlmgr ?
>>
>> No. Usually, texlive updates context once a year.
>
> This is correct in general, but this specific update *will* end up in
> TL2023 due to the engine changes that Hans mentioned. It's not in TL
> yet, but we're actively working on it, so it should show up within a
> week or so (hopefully).
Correction: Luigi and I are still discussing how to make it work because
there is some init order issue and we want to be sure that context (and
its scripts) keep working. It would be sort of weird if context (where
luatex originates) would stop working as expected. Keep in mind that
luatex is also a lua engine. and I assume that the texlive team also has
some tests to perform (apart from getting all platforms updated which
for some is more work, like apple signing).

The issue (disabling socket by default) is not that pressing as socket
has been with us for right fromn the start) and security wise there are
plenty ways tex can mess up your system if someone wants.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [NTG-context] update
@ 2023-04-27  8:32     ` Max Chernoff via ntg-context
From: Max Chernoff via ntg-context @ 2023-04-27  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Max Chernoff

Hi Hans,

> I actually dont' know the rules for updating texlive but there are
> definitely updates.

The rules are:

 - Packages and formats are updated about 24 hours after a new version
   is uploaded to CTAN.

 - Binaries are only updated once-per-year.

But there are also some special cases:

 - The luatex binary will be updated shortly for "reasons" (details to
   be made public later).

 - The luametatex binary is allowed to be updated whenever.

      https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2023-March/049058.html

 - I have no idea how ConTeXt is added to TL, but it doesn't appear to
   be through the usual automatic CTAN sync.

> Basically tex live is the yearly snapshot.

Because you're allowed to update luametatex at will and luatex hardly
changes, you could update the ConTeXt in TL more than once per year.
There's no need for it to get as many updates as the standalone
distribution, but it would be nice to get an update every 3 months or
so. (I have no idea how much work this is for you+Mojca, so it's maybe
not worth the effort).

> But you can just install the lmtx installation alongside (it's small
> compared to tex live) and have the best of both worlds. The lmtx
> installation also has mkiv. It also comes with the fonts that match
> what we expect in context (as fonts get updated or changed).

Lynx, I'll second this recommendation. The standalone lmtx distribution
is updated weekly-ish, uses less than 400MB disk space when installed,
and coexists happily with TL. The only downside is that it doesn't have
a friendly installation GUI like TL does. Even then, I personally find
it easier to install than TL.

Installation instructions:

   https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installation

Thanks,
-- Max

* Re: [NTG-context] update
@ 2023-04-27 21:51       ` lynx--- via ntg-context
From: lynx--- via ntg-context @ 2023-04-27 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, Max:

As suggested, I have installed the "standalone" version of ConTeXt
alongside my full TeXlive installation.

Now:

	* How can I be sure that the standalone version is the one being
implemented?
 	* How do I update the standalone version (I assume that, as of today,
it is already the most up-to-date version--Yes? No?), if and when it is
required or desired to do so?

Lynx

On 2023-04-27 01:32, Max Chernoff via ntg-context wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
>> I actually dont' know the rules for updating texlive but there are
>> definitely updates.
>
> The rules are:
>
> - Packages and formats are updated about 24 hours after a new version
> is uploaded to CTAN.
>
> - Binaries are only updated once-per-year.
>
> But there are also some special cases:
>
> - The luatex binary will be updated shortly for "reasons" (details to
> be made public later).
>
> - The luametatex binary is allowed to be updated whenever.
>
> https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2023-March/049058.html
>
> - I have no idea how ConTeXt is added to TL, but it doesn't appear to
> be through the usual automatic CTAN sync.
>
>> Basically tex live is the yearly snapshot.
>
> Because you're allowed to update luametatex at will and luatex hardly
> changes, you could update the ConTeXt in TL more than once per year.
> There's no need for it to get as many updates as the standalone
> distribution, but it would be nice to get an update every 3 months or
> so. (I have no idea how much work this is for you+Mojca, so it's maybe
> not worth the effort).
>
>> But you can just install the lmtx installation alongside (it's small
>> compared to tex live) and have the best of both worlds. The lmtx
>> installation also has mkiv. It also comes with the fonts that match
>> what we expect in context (as fonts get updated or changed).
>
> Lynx, I'll second this recommendation. The standalone lmtx distribution
> is updated weekly-ish, uses less than 400MB disk space when installed,
> and coexists happily with TL. The only downside is that it doesn't have
> a friendly installation GUI like TL does. Even then, I personally find
> it easier to install than TL.
>
> Installation instructions:
>
> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installation
>
> Thanks,
> -- Max

* Re: [NTG-context] update
@ 2023-04-27 23:54         ` Max Chernoff via ntg-context
From: Max Chernoff via ntg-context @ 2023-04-27 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Max Chernoff

Hi Lynx,

>         * How can I be sure that the standalone version is the one being
> implemented?

It depends on what your $PATH is set to. On Linux/macOS, you can run

   $ type -ap context

to list all the ConTeXts in your $PTAH. The first one in that list is
the one that will be ran by default.

If you want to always run the standalone version, then you'll need to
make sure that your ConTeXt directory comes before your TL directory in
your PATH. On Linux/macOS, you'd add something like

   export PATH="/path/to/context/bin/:$PATH"

to your ~/.profile; on Windows, you can use the "setx" command. Googling
something like "add location to path" will get you more specific
instructions for your OS/shell.

>         * How do I update the standalone version

Just run the installer again. On my system, I run

   $ cd /opt/context
   $ sudo sh ./install.sh

> (I assume that, as of today,
> it is already the most up-to-date version

Correct.

> if and when it is
> required or desired to do so?

You only need to update ConTeXt if a new update fixes a bug that affects
you or adds a new feature that you want. Most updates are announced on
the list, so you could just update whenever you see a new update. Or you
could just try updating once per week. You could also just never update.
Up to you.

The general recommendation is to save an old copy of the ConTeXt folder
before you update in case something breaks. I've never done this before
though since I can usually patch the bugs myself, and I can always fall
back on the version in TL if something is really broken.

-- Max

* [NTG-context] update
@ 2024-03-11 17:48 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-03-11 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Todays update has a fix for the compact mode slant interference (as
explained by Wolfgang a few days ago). Hopefully that works out well.

We (MS and HH) also managed to make curve detection more accurate (the
decision routine that is responsible for straight lines in the MP
output) so that extreme paths with control points way beyond reasonable
still produce the right output (before we could get a wrong bbox due to
clipping the curve in the backend). One can actually also force "always
curve" with "withcurvature 1" (more variants might follow) but that is
more or us to have a test option. Curvature detection is mostly a pdf
efficiency feature and normally users should rely on the default to work
okay.

Other new mp features are relative and absolute points which makes it
possible to define paths in a turtle graphics way (a bit like hlineto
and vline in postscript), a native "--" operator (equivalent but
somewehat more efficient on huge generated paths). The luametafun manual
has a chapter on paths that describes some of this.

Yet another new feature is "firstcontrol" and "secondcontrol" that is an
addendum to controls that makes both control points the same when only
one is given.

Finally there is a fix in mp where some directions, think { dir 120 },
gave the wrong result due to sign swapping (so it was seen as { dir 200}
or { dir -60 }) as side effect of negative zeros fed into tan2. This
became obvious when MS reprocessed a graphic, as last year we switched
from scsled (no bug) to double (long time bug exposed). (The bug is also
present in LuaTeX double/binary mode but it will be fixed there too.)

The rest is not (yet) worth mentioning,

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] update
@ 2024-01-08 10:36 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2024-01-08 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

With the build farm still down I now use an alternative build, that is,
I run a compile script on s bunch of machines and hope for the best.

In the process I decided to drop 32 bit installers (users can generate
bins themselves if needed). I also drop bsd version and just use the
latest. For OSX I use a retired macbook air that Hans vd Meer sent me
that has an old operating system but new enough so that its xcode can
make intel and arm binaries. The linux binaries have teh problem that
they depend on glibc versions and I'm assuming a reasonable up to date
system so I use opensuse leap (which is not even that new with it comes
to glibc but we use it on servers here).

texmf-win64         : laptop              (linux subsystem on windows)
texmf-windows-arm64 : laptop              (native visual studio)
texmf-linux-64      : linux-opensuse-leap (latest leap 15)
texmf-linux-aarch64 : raspberrypi         (latest debian)
texmf-linuxmusl-64  : linux-alpine-64     (whatever)
texmf-osx-64        : airbook/118/hvdm    (older xcode)
texmf-osx-arm64     : airbook/118/hvdm    (older xcode)
texmf-freebsd-amd64 : openbsd-amd64-14    (latest)
texmf-openbsd-amd64 : openbsd-amd64-74    (latest)

If your platform doesn't work you can download the texmf.zip,
context-texmf.zip and installation.pdf and start from there: create the
tree, compile from source, move the binaries and it should just work.

I have no clue if the uploaded files are working but let's see ... (some
paths have been renamed)

@ 2023-06-04 17:01 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-06-04 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

This time not a functional update but a (potential) performance one. I
have no clue if it matters for average usage and some was already in
place anyway. I gain some .2 seconds on the 8.5 seconds for the
luametatex manual (of which is < 4 sec for tex so we gain the .2 sec on
that part). It all depends on usage scenarios. Hopefully there are no
side effects (due to typos).

Hans