* Is conTeXt good for book writing?
@ 2005-12-10 17:47 leon
From: leon @ 2005-12-10 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm completely new to conTeXt though I've heard enough good thing about
it. Now I have a chance to write a book. I'm wondering is it more
effective to write in conTeXt than LaTeX given I'm new to both. Can you
point out some help document that can start me off?

Thank you for your help.

--
.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
.     *                               .

* Re: Is conTeXt good for book writing?
@ 2005-12-10 23:06 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-12-10 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Leon,

In general, I think there can be no doubt that ConTeXt is much more
flexible than LaTeX for book writing, although the latter is far more
well-known. LaTeX has a package, memoir, that makes LaTeX much better for
book writing, but I still prefer ConTeXt because of its much more
integrated and consistent user interface overall.

As for documentation, start here:

http://www.pragma-ade.com/show-man-1.htm

BTW: I mainly typeset books and journals, came from LaTeX, and will never

Best
Idris

@ 2005-12-10 23:53 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-12-10 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-11  2:18   ` leon
From: leon @ 2005-12-11  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Idris Samawi Hamid" <ishamid@colostate.edu> writes:

 | Hi Leon,
 |
 | In general, I think there can be no doubt that ConTeXt is much more
 | flexible than LaTeX for book writing, although the latter is far more
 | well-known. LaTeX has a package, memoir, that makes LaTeX much better for
 | book writing, but I still prefer ConTeXt because of its much more
 | integrated and consistent user interface overall.
 |
 | As for documentation, start here:
 |
 | http://www.pragma-ade.com/show-man-1.htm
 |
 | BTW: I mainly typeset books and journals, came from LaTeX, and will never
 |
 | Best
 | Idris

Hi Idris,

Many thanks for this information. I'm considering using ConTeXt. Can I
just follow here a quick question for you:

What editor do you use for editing conTeXt file? I've been using auctex
with emacs for editting latex files?

Thanks again.

--
.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
.     *                               .

* Re: Re: Is conTeXt good for book writing?
@ 2005-12-11  2:47     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-12-11  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:18:19 -0700, leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:

> What editor do you use for editing conTeXt file? I've been using auctex
> with emacs for editting latex files?

Are you on Unix, Mac, or Windows?

Hans Hagen uses Scite, a context-ready version is available from Pragma
(at least for Windows, I'm sure the configuration files are available for
other platforms);

I mostly use WinEdt, perhaps the best TeX-editor ever for endusers, but
it's Windows only-( and no Unicode-((

Fabrice has a ConTeXt-aware version of XEmacs that comes with XemTeX for
Windows; perhaps his configuration files can easily be ported to Linux,
etc...

Others on the list can point you to auctex configuration files for
context, or the best Mac editors, etc.

Hmm, just looked at the wiki; check this out:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_editor

Best
Idris

* Re: Re: Is conTeXt good for book writing?
@ 2005-12-11  9:56     ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2005-12-11  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

leon a écrit :

>"Idris Samawi Hamid" <ishamid@colostate.edu> writes:
>
> | Hi Leon,
> |
> | In general, I think there can be no doubt that ConTeXt is much more
> | flexible than LaTeX for book writing, although the latter is far more
> | well-known. LaTeX has a package, memoir, that makes LaTeX much better for
> | book writing, but I still prefer ConTeXt because of its much more
> | integrated and consistent user interface overall.
> |
> | As for documentation, start here:
> |
> | http://www.pragma-ade.com/show-man-1.htm
> |
> | BTW: I mainly typeset books and journals, came from LaTeX, and will never
> |
> | Best
> | Idris
>
>Hi Idris,
>
>Many thanks for this information. I'm considering using ConTeXt. Can I
>just follow here a quick question for you:
>
>What editor do you use for editing conTeXt file? I've been using auctex
>with emacs for editting latex files?
>
>Thanks again.

Hi Leon,

If you're addicted to GNU Emacs, there is a context-mode in auctex.
Search for the thread "[NTG-context] GNU Emacs/ AucTeX configuration for
ConTeXt". Just try M-x context-mode within emacs and if you have a
context menubar, your AucTeX is ready. Syntax highlightning and
indenting are sparse but if you have some lisp knowledge, maybe you can
extend auctex...

If you're not addicted to GNU Emacs, try Scite...

* Re: Is conTeXt good for book writing?
@ 2005-12-12 22:03       ` leon
From: leon @ 2005-12-12 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use linux.

I just read the editor list in the wiki page. It's really informative.

Thanks.

--