From: "Frank Küster" <frank@kuesterei.ch>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl, taco@elvenkind.com,
	debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: ConTeXt installtion and Debian
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:42:46 +0200	[thread overview]

>> * TEXFONTMAPS is also wrong: it makes pdftex (and dvipdfmx as well,
>>    I guess) find the mapfiles for dvips before their own mapfiles
>>    (those are shipped with ConTeXt).
>>
>>    I have:
>>
>>    TEXFONTMAPS.dvipdfm  = .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{dvipdfm,dvips,}//
>>    TEXFONTMAPS.dvipdfmx = .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{dvipdfm,dvips,}//
>>    TEXFONTMAPS.pdftex   = .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{pdftex,dvips,}//
>>    TEXFONTMAPS.pdfetex  = .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{pdftex,dvips,}//
>>    TEXFONTMAPS.xetex    = .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{xetex,pdftex,dvips,}//
>>    TEXFONTMAPS.dvips    = .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{dvips,pdftex,}//
>>    TEXFONTMAPS =.;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//;\
>>                            $TEXMF/{$progname,pdftex,dvips}/{config,}//
>>
>>    this works fine (but it is perhaps a bit too verbose).
>
> Debian currently has:
> TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/,}map//;$TEXMF/dvips//
>
> What about this? I am not completely convinced about it since with
> updmap we generate input file for all the different programs.

The second part, $TEXMF/dvips//, is a Debian-specific
backwards-compatibility hack to allow fonts to be found that install
their map files according to the old (teTeX 2.0) TDS.  We should drop it
as soon as etch is out, and we should probably have done that even
earlier.   The first I don't quite understand, we actually have:

% TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,}/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//
TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/,}map//;$TEXMF/dvips//

This looks like we dropped the program-specific paths (and with that
their order), and like it wouldn't have been necessary to add a hack
(but I know that at the time of the teTex-3.0-beta-release when I
introduced it it *was* necessary).

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster