* Portable linux Minimals installation?
@ 2010-11-29 14:39 Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2010-11-29 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello list!

It's happening to me that I have to travel to a place where there's no
broadband access, and I'd like to take ConTeXt with me. So I can't just
run the installer and rsync the trees. Now, the question is: is it safe
to tarball the ConTeXt root directory with executable and texmf trees,
and move it around (on another machine)? Or are there hardcoded paths
that prevents this? I couldn't find anything about this on
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals

Thanks in advance.

--
Marco

* Re: Portable linux Minimals installation?
@ 2010-11-29 14:43 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-11-29 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 15:39, Marco Pessotto wrote:

> It's happening to me that I have to travel to a place where there's no
> broadband access, and I'd like to take ConTeXt with me. So I can't just
> run the installer and rsync the trees. Now, the question is: is it safe
> to tarball the ConTeXt root directory with executable and texmf trees,
> and move it around (on another machine)? Or are there hardcoded paths
> that prevents this?

No, there are no hardcoded paths. You may even fetch both linux and
linux-64 architectures in parallel (or all the architectures), so that
it will work on any architecture. The only "somehow hardcoded" path is
the name of folder inside luatex-cache, but that's easy to
change/recover (you may simply delete contents of luatex-cache and
rerun mtxrun --generate).

Mojca

* Re: Portable linux Minimals installation?
@ 2010-11-29 14:56   ` Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2010-11-29 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 15:39, Marco Pessotto wrote:
>>
>> It's happening to me that I have to travel to a place where there's no
>> broadband access, and I'd like to take ConTeXt with me. So I can't just
>> run the installer and rsync the trees. Now, the question is: is it safe
>> to tarball the ConTeXt root directory with executable and texmf trees,
>> and move it around (on another machine)? Or are there hardcoded paths
>> that prevents this?
>
> No, there are no hardcoded paths. You may even fetch both linux and
> linux-64 architectures in parallel (or all the architectures), so that
> it will work on any architecture. The only "somehow hardcoded" path is
> the name of folder inside luatex-cache, but that's easy to
> change/recover (you may simply delete contents of luatex-cache and
> rerun mtxrun --generate).
>
> Mojca

Thanks. I've added a brief section to
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals#Moving_the_installation_tree_around_.28linux.29