From: Sanjoy Mahajan <sanjoy@MIT.EDU>
To: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>, ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: internal mptopdf converter skips some glyphs in labels
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 17:27:31 -0400	[thread overview]

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> Alternatively, you can consider making your mp graphics like this:
>
> \startMPpage
>    some code
> \stopMPpage
>
> This will use the regular font system, gives access to everything
> context as well, and makes it possible to opentype fonts. The resulting
> (cropped) graphic can of course be included. One can also have more of
> them:

That's an improvement on what I am doing.  (Though I may be getting lots
of ConTeXt and OpenType fonts, by using a preamble with

  verbatimtex %&cont-en
  etex

)

Right now my figure source (blah.mpfig, say) is what would go in between
begin/endfig.  The Makefile wraps it in begin/endfig, and includes a
header.mp with all the definitions hopefully consistent with the main
document's environment (terrible, I know), writes out blah.mp, which is
run through metapost and mptopdf.

The disadvantage of incorparating everything into the .tex may be the
edit--compile cycle gets much longer for the figures, because you have
to compile the whole document or component to see the revised figure.
(My rule of thumb is that typing is about 10 times faster than
handwriting, unless one has to do equations, in which case you lose a
factor of 3; or if you have to make figures, in which case you lose the
other factor of 3 (3^2=10), and maybe more.)

-Sanjoy